Wisconsin Dockyard Week 3 100 Planes (BB) Task Tip (PVE)

AdmiralThunder

So this one is kind of a pain this week in the dockyard (week 3). 100 planes is not normally a hard task for Co-op but because WG made the CV task quite onerous almost no one is bothering to do that task. 450 Rocket hits isn't hard with certain CV's in Co-op but for most it is very time consuming and thus people are passing for easier tasks. That makes doing the BB task a real pain because it only leaves spotters and fighters IF you are lucky enough to be within range when the bots launch them without 5 teammates there too that takes plane kills away.

I have basically skipped it as I noticed no CV's around while doing other tasks. I played a few BB games since week 3 went live but mainly Randoms where CV's are there in normal numbers so I had a few planes (18). I am very OCD about stuff and it bothered me leaving a task undone even though I don't need it (finished week 3 day 1). So tonight, with nothing really to play for other than the Battlepass extra points, I got thinking about that task and how much I didn't want to do it and then it dawned on me. Take a SuperShip BB out.

It is late'ish at night which is the best time to take SS's out in Co-op (or very early AM) because it means you get a lot of all or mostly bot games and the vast majority of the time in those cases you get a CV. Sure enough all or mostly bot games and only one didn't have a CV. Finished in 3 games with planes to spare. 

The key is to not hesitate and mess around with anything else and get out back to the bot spawn where the CV is. For me anyway I still make sure we are going to win (if not I peel off and go back). IF you are lucky enough to spawn near the DD or whatever the bot CV goes for it is a plus. But just head for the back ASAP. Once out there you can get between the planes and the rest of your team and also get close to the CV to take fighters down. Just shut your secondaries/AA off, in between plane flights, until you actually can shoot at planes or you can kill the CV too quick.

Ushakov has the best overall AA of the group (Maine very close second stat wise so it might even be better in game but haven' played it to compare) so it takes planes down fast which helps keep other ships near you from getting them. It is fast enough you can get out back to the bot CV's location fairly quick (mine has Brisk which helps too). So, throw an AA flag on if you have it, maybe a speed flag if you don't mind using it in Co-op, and a +% credit boost if you don't want to take a pounding on credits (I used blue ones and made credits). Then try a SS BB for the plane task late at night or early AM and you have a very good chance of getting an all bot game which usually has a CV. That can easily give you 40-50+ planes down in one game.

Order of AA (according to WG) + speed:

• Ushakov - 6km Range / 12 Flak / 97 AA Rating / 30 knots
  • Maine - 6km Range / 13 Flak / 96 AA Rating / 30.4 knots
  • Hannover - 6km Range / 9 Flak / 93 AA Rating / 30 knots
  • Devastation - 6km Range / 4 Flak / 93 AA Rating / 32 knots
  • Patrie - 6km Range / 12 Flak / 87 AA Rating / 31 knots + speed boost 
  • Satsuma - 5.8km Range / 7 Flak / 82 Rating / 27 knots

Ushakov and Maine (if you are one of the few to have it already) are the clear winners for this. I completely disagree with WG rating Devastation's AA so high. The lack of flak is huge and despite good continuous damage ratings its AA seems mediocre at best. LOTS of bot planes survive for multiple runs which lets other ships get them which you don't want; you want to take them out ASAP and gobble them up (which is where high flak count comes in). I would put Devastation at the bottom and just above Satsuma based on what I have seen of actual game play with its AA. Hannover seems to do better than the rating as does Patrie (by a lot I really question its low rating in the 80's). Patrie also has that speed boost which can help it get out back faster. Satsuma will get the job done if it is your only option but the ship is slow and the AA is typical of the poor overall IJN AA in WOWS.  

Hope this helps and FWIW...

salute.jpg.070269b8e9e537aca9bce7213eacb524.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 5

• AdmiralThunder changed the title to Wisconsin Dockyard Week 3 100 Planes (BB) Task Tip (PVE)

I  don't own any Superships, unfortunately, so I used Jean Bart for the mission.  It has 5.8 km range and a 94 AA rating and is relatively fast allowing it to cover ground (or water) quickly.  The JB is a decent AA ship.  As far as playing at low population times, that works when I have cases of insomnia and get up in the middle of the night wide-awake, but not a very frequent event (that is a good thing, I think).

The BB shoot-downs mission was very frustrating due to the general absence of CVs this week.  I see there is a similar mission for cruisers next week and I will make that mission my lowest priority.  

Edited by PrairiePlayer
  • Like 2

I'm half way through the cv plane shootdown after abandoning it 🙂   Finished the rest last Thursday for phase 3 of the dockyard.  Thanks for the tips, but I'll let that one give me a "surprise" 10K credits some other time down the line!

Good luck to all who may be struggling with this, but do the DD and Cruiser missions for week 3 instead... Many cruisers that can do the torpedo thing and the Harugumo line can take out all the rest of the ribbons missions quickly and easily.

Fair winds and following seas.

• Like 1

Mecklenburg has a pretty good AA. Though being a steel ship a Supership is easier to obtain.

• Like 1

One way to increase the chances of having a match with planes would be to play hybrids, if you have any- even though ship matching isn't guaranteed, it's more likely than playing any other type of BB. The only hybrid BB I have is Ise, so... I think I'll pick a different option. Maybe I'll burn some of my accumulated blue boosters and speedrun the 130k XP token. I do have a couple of re-grinds to finish...

Georgia would also be great for the BB plane kill mission, if owned, since she's faster than a lot of DDs when she pops boost and has the same great AA as every other high-tier USN BB; she could blow through the backline to the CV more easily than almost anything else- plus, a T9 can see T8, 10, and 11 CVs- though I suppose Georgias are probably getting pretty rare, at this point.

• Like 1

I lucked out and knocked the plane mission out in 3 games in asym. I was working on the cruiser torp hits but not much success since coop is a lot of DD players going for ribbons, and I don't generally play the light cruisers with torps well in asym . Currently I am regrinding the Worcester line for RP and grinding the Yamato and St. Vincent lines in asym. I just got the T9 Duncan yesterday and in the first 3 matches cleared the 100 planes mission.

• Like 1

Because of the French DD issue in high tier co-op, I chose to go down to T5 and spammed a few games in Emerald instead. Plenty of opportunities to participate in the torp soup down there. Also a perfect way to spot torps when you get that mission. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It took me about 25-26 games in co op to achieve the task.
Of course only 4 games with CV, and among those games, only 3 were "productive" ones.
I played Illinois, Ise(*), and Scharnhorst'43. It was very, very frustrating.

(*) Even with Ise only one game with an hybrid in the red team.

Edited by Latouche_Treville
  • Like 1

And, let's not forget RNG......  If I remember correctly, I had 5 matches in COOP with less than 5 humans in a German BB and shot down 51 the first match, a few ones and twos, and then, had a finishing match with 40....  So, three COOP matches.???