Devblog 531 - major and some minor ship balance changes!

Ensign Cthulhu

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/531 

We're applying balance changes to the following ships based on an analysis of both their combat statistics and player feedback: Fenyang, Ship Smasha, Siliwangi, Chung Mu, Yumihari, Yodo, Vladivostok, Monarch, Annapolis and Condé.

VIII FENYANG and VIII SHIP SMASHA

• Torpedoes can now also damage cruisers in addition to battleships and aircraft carriers.

VIII SILIWANGI

• Main battery reload time reduced: 4.8 to 4.5 s.

IX CHUNG MU

• Researchable torpedo parameters changed:
    • Maximum damage reduced: 19,033 to 17,967.
    • Torpedo speed reduced: 67 to 64 kts.

VIII YUMIHARI

• Sigma value increased: 2.1 to 2.2
  • AP shell parameters changed:
    • Maximum damage increased: 12,000 to 12,600.
    • Penetration slightly increased.

X YODO

• HE shell parameters changed:
    • Maximum damage increased: 2500 to 2850.
    • Fire chance increased: 10 to 12%.

VIII VLADIVOSTOK

• Detectability range by sea increased: 15 to 15.4 km.
  • All other detectability ranges adjusted accordingly.

VIII MONARCH

• Repair Party consumable is replaced with Specialized Repair Teams consumable which will have similar parameters to those found on the next ships of the branch.

ANNAPOLIS

• HP reduced: 56,000 to 51,900.

CONDÉ

• HP reduced: 63,000 to 55,400.

My thoughts:

Evidently WG realized that the Fenyang Twins need to be able to torpedo their major predator (cruisers). This is a major buff for them, and a welcome one.

Siliwangi's change is minor, but an unbalanced buff is an unbalanced buff.

Chung Mu is perhaps being considered to be a little too strong? The T8 to T10 Pan-Asian DDs did get a major unbalanced buff with the addition of torpedo reload booster a little while back, so this is not altogether unexpected. Perhaps they felt that the researchable torps were a little too overtuned vs. Tier 7.

Yumihari now bites a little harder and shoots a little better (she needs it), and Yodo gets her heat tweaked up a touch. 

Vladivostok of all things getting her detectability changed feels odd. Why, after so long?

Monarch getting what amounts to a superheal is a major buff for her. Again, why now? But not unwelcome.

Annapolis and Conde getting their health pools trimmed and being made more easily killable seems like a reasonable reaction to a general feeling that they're a touch too strong. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

T11 ships with funny button should be nerfed already

• Like 4

Don't mind fenyang buff, makes it slightly more playable in ranked. Maybe. Still an inferior Akizuki. 

A pretty big Yodo dpm buff, maybe it'll start to somewhat resemble actual cl firepower. Sure, why not. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Monarch getting what amounts to a superheal is a major buff for her. Again, why now? But not unwelcome.

Probably because she sits in the bottom third of T8 battleships and is over a full percentage point in winrate behind her squishier tech-tree cousin the Hawke across most skill brackets. She also lags behind the Hawke in average damage by around 5,000 per match for better than average players.

The only non-premium standard tech line BBs that have worse numbers in a equivalent tier slot are the N. Carolina, Kansas, and the Bismarck. The Yumihari which is also getting a buff this patch has higher averages than her.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Annapolis and Conde getting their health pools trimmed and being made more easily killable seems like a reasonable reaction to a general feeling that they're a touch too strong. 

I have the Conde', and I've never felt that she's "too strong".

• Like 2

I get a reason to continue the Monarch grind?

I didn't think she was in a terrible place, but then again I haven't played it in a while, so...

WG balancing working as intended.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/531 

We're applying balance changes to the following ships based on an analysis of both their combat statistics and player feedback: Fenyang, Ship Smasha, Siliwangi, Chung Mu, Yumihari, Yodo, Vladivostok, Monarch, Annapolis and Condé.

VIII FENYANG and VIII SHIP SMASHA

• Torpedoes can now also damage cruisers in addition to battleships and aircraft carriers.

VIII SILIWANGI

• Main battery reload time reduced: 4.8 to 4.5 s.

IX CHUNG MU

• Researchable torpedo parameters changed:
    • Maximum damage reduced: 19,033 to 17,967.
    • Torpedo speed reduced: 67 to 64 kts.

VIII YUMIHARI

• Sigma value increased: 2.1 to 2.2
  • AP shell parameters changed:
    • Maximum damage increased: 12,000 to 12,600.
    • Penetration slightly increased.

X YODO

• HE shell parameters changed:
    • Maximum damage increased: 2500 to 2850.
    • Fire chance increased: 10 to 12%.

VIII VLADIVOSTOK

• Detectability range by sea increased: 15 to 15.4 km.
  • All other detectability ranges adjusted accordingly.

VIII MONARCH

• Repair Party consumable is replaced with Specialized Repair Teams consumable which will have similar parameters to those found on the next ships of the branch.

ANNAPOLIS

• HP reduced: 56,000 to 51,900.

CONDÉ

• HP reduced: 63,000 to 55,400.

My thoughts:

Evidently WG realized that the Fenyang Twins need to be able to torpedo their major predator (cruisers). This is a major buff for them, and a welcome one.

Siliwangi's change is minor, but an unbalanced buff is an unbalanced buff.

Chung Mu is perhaps being considered to be a little too strong? The T8 to T10 Pan-Asian DDs did get a major unbalanced buff with the addition of torpedo reload booster a little while back, so this is not altogether unexpected. Perhaps they felt that the researchable torps were a little too overtuned vs. Tier 7.

Yumihari now bites a little harder and shoots a little better (she needs it), and Yodo gets her heat tweaked up a touch. 

Vladivostok of all things getting her detectability changed feels odd. Why, after so long?

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kynami said:

Probably because she sits in the bottom third of T8 battleships and is over a full percentage point in winrate behind her squishier tech-tree cousin the Hawke across most skill brackets. She also lags behind the Hawke in average damage by around 5,000 per match for better than average players.

The only non-premium standard tech line BBs that have worse numbers in a equivalent tier slot are the N. Carolina, Kansas, and the Bismarck. The Yumihari which is also getting a buff this patch has higher averages than her.

I wonder how much of that ^^^^ is player competency compared with ship equipment theoretical potential?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I wonder how much of that ^^^^ is player competency compared with ship equipment theoretical potential?

For the N. Carolina its purely a newbs first BB issue if you filter by better players or take a look at the CLR version of the N. Carolina.

The Bismarck just gets shit on by T10 meta. Also one of the usual suspects of has newer players at the helm.

The Kansas though... yeah that one is actually a pretty solid case of potential being a big part of the issues with that boat. And where I'd actually be expecting some sort of compensating buffs eventually. It has decent alpha but its DPM is garbage because of the exceptionally long reloads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

This. Might make the twins a more viable pick for 'proper' game modes; at the moment, mine tend to live in Coop, which is a shame.

• Like 2

Interesting that Chung Mu's torpedoes will remain unable to damage DDs, and for that they now...do less damage than Fletcher's, Mogador's, Tashkent's, Udaloi's, or the IJN DDs.  Seems like deep water torpedoes aren't the advantage they used to be.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

As if WG cares about player competency when balancing these days.

I'd bet that most of these ships are being changed based on use rates in this MM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

Interesting that Chung Mu's torpedoes will remain unable to damage DDs, and for that they now...do less damage than Fletcher's, Mogador's, Tashkent's, Udaloi's, or the IJN DDs.

With the exception of the IJN DDs, none of the other ships you mention have a torpedo reload booster - and the IJN torpedo DD at Chung Mu's tier that gets one has to sacrifice her smokescreen for it (Kita gets one too, but all it does is compensate for the fact that she only has one launcher). 

IIRC the spice in Pan-Asia DWTs is a reduced warning time, and I vaguely recall that they might have a higher flooding chance.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu

9 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I'd bet that most of these ships are being changed based on use rates in this MM.

Ia agree with you with your assessment about "use rates"...  I am seeing an awful lot of many of the ships above in ASB's and Operations (if tier applicable).  I play the Yodo in ASB's "a lot" and positive changes are always welcome.

I keep forgetting that Asia and the EU may have "unique market participation" demographics....  That might explain the Vlad or other ships we see (NA that is).

It's all about Carrots and Sticks.....   I dread the stick part because, the ships I really play seem to get gob-smacked with these changes and become port Queens.

OK, a stupid question - and, this isn't the thread to ask it - apologies.

Can Deep Water torps hit a sub at Periscope depth???

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Asym said:

As far as I know, DWT are hard-coded not to affect DD or subs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Giving the Fenyang and the Smasha the ability to hit cruisers is nice and probably long overdue, something had to be done, since these ships were really bad, now i might actually play them. It would have been nice though, if they had also changed the terrible pen, i mean these are supposed to be Akizuki guns, but they only pen 17mm of armor. Don't play superships, but this looks like a hard nerf, i will be honest i don't mind that they nerfed the Annapolis and Conde, these ships really deserve the name super and can be really annoying to face, especially in a Tier IX, maybe this will make it a bit more fair for the people who have to play against them.

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

"Marketing and sales targets of the month" being the motivation behind the changes?

59 minutes ago, Asym said:

I've done extensive testing in the past and published the results on the old forum.
Short answer = no.

It seems that Deep Water Torpedoes are given a list of ships they can hit and ships not on that list cannot be hit.
Submarines can't be hit, in game.

I know.  Theoretically the submarine could be caught at the proper depth at the "inopportune moment" (for the submarine) and get hit.
But, WG/WOWs took the lazy way out instead of programming the modeling of actual physics into the situation.  😉 

Edit:  P.S.  It's not a stupid question, in my opinion.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

But, WG/WOWs took the lazy way out instead of programming the modeling of actual physics into the situation. 

They started out intending to be coded to a particular depth, but my recollection is that WG decided to hard code them to type when it became apparent that some cruisers didn't have sufficient draught to be hit, and changing this would make some DDs vulnerable. It was messy, and it had the potential to get even messier.

Rather than complicate things immeasurably in the future and cause screaming fits over "bias" regarding which cruisers were or were not immune, WG decided that a blanket type rule was easier and fairer for all involved.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

They started out coded to a particular depth, but my recollection is that WG decided to hard code them to type when it became apparent that some cruisers didn't have sufficient draught to be hit, and changing this would make some DDs vulnerable. It was messy.

Rather than complicate things immeasurably in the future and cause screaming fits over "bias" regarding which cruisers were or were not immune, WG decided that a blanket type rule was easier and fairer for all involved.

Water under the bridge, now.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

Oh comrade......Wedgie gimped Cv's to not be able to touch suckmarines.....

CVs have some pretty potent weapons for taking on subs.

It is often to my teams advantage for my CV hull to be charging a sub...

Especially my Yorktown...<evil grin from having Air Strike Mod 1 equipped>

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

CVs have some pretty potent weapons for taking on subs.

It is often to my teams advantage for my CV hull to be charging a sub...

Especially my Yorktown...<evil grin from having Air Strike Mod 1 equipped>

46721D76-957C-425A-9701-8D106F1B2173.gif 

I was refering to fighter/rocket planes. While Weegee staff insisted that this wasn't the reason..... never believed them.  

1 minute ago, Andrewbassg said:

I was refering to fighter/rocket planes. While Weegee staff insisted that this wasn't the reason..... never believed them.  

I not-so-secretly believe the "DD Mafia" was responsible for the implementation of the rocket-plane's "firing delay".  😉 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I not-so-secretly believe the "DD Mafia" was responsible for the implementation of the rocket-plane's "firing delay".  😉 

Speaking as a CV main...rocket attack planes without the delay were WAY too powerful.

It was a good change even without the influence of subs coming or the DD Mafia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1