How do I play this Gearing?

Justin_Simpleton

This is my first tier X tech tree DD.  I have a Ragnar.  I was wondering what playstyle I should seek with this build.  I'm expecting to do a lot of spotting and long range torping but I'm really unsure about gunfights.

image.thumb.png.ea578c0e92db9ad588f102728d091faf.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

@Justin_SimpletonDid you take a wrong turn? You are in the reviews section.

I took the liberty of moving your thread to @BOBTHEBALL.

Thank you for the move, I would never have spotted it otherwise.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

This is my first tier X tech tree DD.  I have a Ragnar.  I was wondering what playstyle I should seek with this build.  I'm expecting to do a lot of spotting and long range torping but I'm really unsure about gunfights.

Now lets get started, Gearing is in my opinion the best torpedo boat (Torpedo boats aren't that strong though remember this) at tier 10. Why is that? Well it's because of her smokes, great torpedoes, stealth with the LM and ability to defend herself when needed.

Now yes you will be doing lots of spotting, however "long range torping". Remember that , even if you have 26km of range it doesn't mean you should be sitting 26km away from the enemy taking pot-shots with no real chance of hitting. You shouldn't be sitting at max range hoping your torpedoes hit. You should be sitting at the closest but also safest range you can be. You shouldn't be spamming all your torpedoes. Choose your targets carefully.

Now for gunfights, while Gearing can protect itself in one. That doesn't mean you should go actively hunting other DDs. Just play cautiously and if you're pressured pull back, don't hesitate to fight back but make sure you survive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 6:17 AM, Justin_Simpleton said:

Build for torpedoes and stealth. Avoid gunfights unless it is for finishing up wounded enemies, there's a lot of dangerous things out there. Playstyle is kinda passive with lots of spotting and screening. 

• Like 2