I know this post may get moved but being former military

3LUE

People keep an eye on the news. Iran is attacking Israel, and I would have to think we are seeing the start of a huge Middle East war that the US may get involved in. We are sending more ships to the Middle East now that this has started. Remember, Israel is a nuclear power, and this could get really messy. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, 3LUE said:

People keep an eye on the news. Iran is attacking Israel, and I would have to think we are seeing the start of a huge Middle East war that the US may get involved in. We are sending more ships to the Middle East now that this has started. Remember, Israel is a nuclear power, and this could get really messy. 

Yep this new development is indeed scary.

I hope that at least some ppl are going to de-escalate (or trying).

Doubt it will lead into anything much further. 

It's just Iran showing nominal support to the different islamic jihadist groups it props up.

22 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Doubt it will lead into anything much further. 

It's just Iran showing nominal support to the different islamic jihadist groups it props up.

I think a lot depends on how Israel responds. If Israel responds with attacks on Iran then this could become a major war or if Iran attacks Israel more forcing Israel to respond. The UK and the USA have been assisting in shooting down the Iranian drones and missiles. 

18 minutes ago, USMC2145 said:

I think a lot depends on how Israel responds. If Israel responds with attacks on Iran then this could become a major war or if Iran attacks Israel more forcing Israel to respond. The UK and the USA have been assisting in shooting down the Iranian drones and missiles. 

Israel probably wont attack Iran directly. Theyll attack like hezbollah (propped up by Iran) in Lebanon.

Many of the incoming drones and missiles were shot down by the US, Britain, and Jordan before even reaching Israeli airspace. Iran knows that it can only push the US so far and must not attack any of our assets directly. When a US warship hit an Iranian mine in international waters, we retaliated by sinking half of the Iranian Navy. Two of Iran's three main area "allies" are countries that are either embroiled in civil wars themselves or on the brink of it and the third is occupied by the US. Russia doesn't need Iranian oil and isn't in any place right now to help them by sending them any military support. They are tolerated as long as they keep their shenanigans to local proxy conflicts. That's not saying that they would be a push-over in an actual war. Iran would be hard to conquer, of nothing else, because of its terrain. I actually trained for a war in Iran and we were on alert, waiting to board the planes, when the whole thing was called off. A couple of years later, I was recalled to active duty, again for Iran, but that war got called off too and they let me go back to being a civilian. When the US finally actually headed to the Middle East I was too old for them to recall me anymore. However, the desert training that we participated in back in the 70s, and which was continued from then on, was put to good use. I oftentimes think that the US should pull back from supporting so many other countries militarily and instead spend the money working on our decaying road system, bridges, and electrical grid. However, like the old adage says, "Give your opponent an inch and they will eventually take a mile."

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

I moved this thread to off topic. I leave it for the discretion of the mods what to do with it. Keep it civil while they get their scooters running, okay.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I oftentimes think that the US should pull back from supporting so many other countries militarily and instead spend the money working on our decaying road system, bridges, and electrical grid.

Given that California has poured billions into a high speed railway line that seems to go nowhere and do nothing, I think the first thing to do in terms of infrastructure is change radically the way in which it is managed. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I noticed news stories about Iran communicating to Israel about a possible (but not yet decided upon) attack upon Israel in retaliation for Iranian personnel who had recently died during an attack in Syria.
This morning I found articles indicating a large-scale combined drone/missile/ballistic-missile attack conducted by Iran upon Israel. 
Most of the attack was shot-down by anti-missile defense systems used by Israel.

I don't know if there will be further escalation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/israel-hails-success-blocking-irans-063310128.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/assassinated-iranian-general-involved-planning-155555330.html

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

Meh!... Just Iranian theatrics to save some face... Broadcasting your attack plans hours before the actual attack and basically saying this "sets the score to even", it was just for show. This one is unlikely to escalate