Call Me Cheap But Would You Buy A Permanent Camo Currently On Discount

tm63au

I was going though my list of ships and looking at Camouflage both types, now I like my ships looking good going into battle

WG in there infinite wisdom have never to the best of my knowledge had a discount sale on Tier X Camo's and I am talking about back in the days when you bought the camo the bonus package came with it.

When they had the sales it was Tier 6 to 9 never Tier X, back then I lashed out on the Dubs and bought a lot of my FAV tech tree ships some clothing, anyways was just about ready to take Hindy into battle ( just 5 min ago ) decided to look at Camo's at this time there is a discount happening for the permanent ones ( 200 Dubs ), sadly buying this type of Camo now has lost its appeal, no bonus comes with it and to buy the bonus its 4800 Dubs.

I'm having a memory block to some degree but camo's used to confuse the enemies perception and aiming or something like that once upon a time ( i'm certain someone will give the correct explanation of what they did ) currently a Hindenburg Camo is going for 200 at first I thought cool I will get one then after thinking about it I realised what is the point of getting it.

Might as well use my throw away camo and get rid of some of those shockers I have stashed away, maybe I am being to much of a cheapskate I don't now but I am just not enthusiastic enough to buy half an outfit.

regards   

Edited by tm63au
  • Like 2

Well, some of the camos confuse me at least, visually speaking that is, same as aiming becomes harder for me on certain maps with particular lighting and atmosphere. Then again, how significant that is because the algorithm essentially determines how accurate your gunnery is. Still, it won't hurt you to have a good camo equipped just in case.

This doesn't, of course, extend to those 'permanent' rental camos WG is now offering that make 15 million credits of player money explode away.

• Like 2

Remember that the cost of the camo in the old days was the equivalent of the visual and economic items today, so you aren't losing anything.  You could still buy the camo and econ permanents to get similar effects for the same price, but now you have the option to only pick one or the other and save a few doubloons.

As to if permanents are worth it, I would say it's worth the current price if you are going to be playing the ships alot.  If not, keep some Expendables for it.

As far as aiming effects, that was entirely a player effect.  I never had an issue hitting a target because of its camo, but I do believe I heard some players got confused.  Much like the real world, it depended on who was shooting you.

Edited by Jakob Knight

I don't think I've put a camo on a ship, permanent or otherwise, since they removed the bonuses.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tm63au said:

I was going though my list of ships and looking at Camouflage both types, now I like my ships looking good going into battle

WG in there infinite wisdom have never to the best of my knowledge had a discount sale on Tier X Camo's and I am talking about back in the days when you bought the camo the bonus package came with it.

When they had the sales it was Tier 6 to 9 never Tier X, back then I lashed out on the Dubs and bought a lot of my FAV tech tree ships some clothing, anyways was just about ready to take Hindy into battle ( just 5 min ago ) decided to look at Camo's at this time there is a discount happening for the permanent ones ( 200 Dubs ), sadly buying this type of Camo now has lost its appeal, no bonus comes with it and to buy the bonus its 4800 Dubs.

I'm a memory block to some degree but camo's used to confuse the enemies perception and aiming or something like that once upon a time ( i'm certain someone will give the correct explanation of what they did ) currently a Hindenburg Camo is going for 200 at first I thought cool I will get one then after thinking about I realised what is the point of getting it.

Might as well use my throw away camo and get rid of some of those shockers I have stashed away, maybe I am being to much of a cheapskate I don't now but I am just not enthusiastic enough buy half an outfit.

regards   

Back when the camouflages and the economic bonuses were all-in-one (before the camouflage re-work) a permanent camouflage (and single-use camouflages) provided an increase in the dispersion of incoming gun-fire.

After the camouflage re-work, some aspects were "baked-in" to the ship's hull, if I recall correctly, including the dispersion factor.

The economic bonuses were separated from single-use camouflages and turned into grey/green/blue/red single-use bonus cards.
Certain types of special single-use flags were converted into grey/green/blue/red single-use bonus cards, too.

The "permanent" bonuses of the original permanent camouflages became the permanent economic bonuses package, which could be purchased separately from a permanent camouflage.

-------------------------------
So?  What do I do now?
Well, I'm only speaking personally, for myself, about what I typically do nowadays.

1.  If I want a ship to have a more interesting appearance than grey paint, then I'll find a way to put a camouflage on it.
Some ships in my Fleet don't have permanent camouflages.  In some cases, they're low-tier ships which rarely sortie into a battle mode.

2.  Premium ships typically come with at least one permanent camouflage scheme. 

3.  In special cases, such as my Kii, I splurged the 7,000 doubloons cost for the Kobayashi camouflage *before* the camouflage re-work.  Which meant that the Kobayashi camo provided extra credits earnings, and that feature was carried-over by WOWs programming during the camo re-work changeover processs.
3-a.  If a player were to purchase the Kobayshi camo for the Kii now (post re-work) there is zero incentive to do so (except for the aesthetic appearance). 
The post re-work purchase of the Kobayashi camouflages provide no economic bonuses as a feature of the purchase.

4.  The in-game option to make a single-use camouflage into a permanent camouflage for a ship through a purchase (in exchange for credits OR doubloons) in the "Exterior" menu is a welcome option.
Personally I only spend credits when doing this.  
That said, I've provided several of my ships with permanent camouflages this way, simply because I wasn't satisfied with basic grey.

5.  Certain in-game events, such as the recent Pinata Hunt, offer camouflages in exchange for event tokens.
Play the game and one's figurative cards right, and one could acquire one or more permanent camouflages via in-game opportunities.

I admit I've learned some of these camouflage acquisition methods from @Ensign Cthulhu's forum posts, over the past several years.
Hope that helps.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bomont said:

I don't think I've put a camo on a ship, permanent or otherwise, since they removed the bonuses.

I use some, but only if they look nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I use some, but only if they look nice.

Some ships have a splash of natural colour even without the paint job (e.g. the Italians with their barber-pole bows). Others are so ugly when naked that you just have to dress them up. Even with 150 million credits, though, I'm not just going to throw away 6M to 9M at a time to make my ships look pretty. I'll take the permaskins when I can get them, which for me is often enough.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Some ships have a splash of natural colour even without the paint job (e.g. the Italians with their barber-pole bows). Others are so ugly when naked that you just have to dress them up. Even with 150 million credits, though, I'm not just going to throw away 6M to 9M at a time to make my ships look pretty. I'll take the permaskins when I can get them, which for me is often enough.

There's some ships like North Carolina and Kansas I pay credits for a camo as I go.  I spend a lot of time looking at the ship in port so it's worth it.  Many of the free permanent camos look really bad.

• Like 2

Its a means for the older players to display their excess credits and/or dedication to certain ships.

It is much better as an optional cosmetic, as opposed to a mandatory expense.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Verytis said:

Its a means for the older players to display their excess credits and/or dedication to certain ships.

It is much better as an optional cosmetic, as opposed to a mandatory expense.

I don't actually miss the extra hassle of having to go through dozens of camos in the inventory looking for the ones that suited some particular mission best. Most even looked pretty hideous as well....

• Like 2

When I'm going out I like to look my best so occasionally I will spend some doubloons.

James Bond Style, 41% OFF | guidingpartnerships.com

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Bomont said:

I have done one. I always wanted the dazzle camo for Furious back when I got it in pre release. Camos still had bonuses but never got it because I was waiting for a sale. Then they did the camo rework and I pondered buying it but did want to buy one or two dollars of doubloons. Finally farmed enough free doubloons and bought the camo and mounted it. I have not used the ship since well before the camo rework and am unlikely to ever use it again, just like looking at it in port.  I hate CVs since they reworked them into the idiot machines they are now. But the Furious with the dazzle camo looks awesome. Total waste of resources for absolutely no good reason.  Just a vanity thing I suppose. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Like 2

Always remember, you don’t “own” the ships WG does.  They are just lending them to you.  Kind of a “Lend Lease” type of deal.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I don't actually miss the extra hassle of having to go through dozens of camos in the inventory looking for the ones that suited some particular mission best. Most even looked pretty hideous as well....

Completely agree that was a pain in the neck.  Should I use this one that gets me slightly more ship XP or that one that will get a few more credits - wait if I'm using that special signal (or whatever we called the economic flags back then)  this one will be a better combination.  So many slight variations.  The new system might have a lower ceiling on the economic benefits but it sure is quicker and simpler, which is good IMO.  I do think it would be nice if they increased the red econ bonus drop rates slightly.

I have perma-camos on quite a few ships - al the premiums come with them pre-installed (but they are usually the historical types and I like those).  I don't remove them or dislike having them (unless they are some of the weird/garish/ugly ones IMO).  I simply don't spend any time looking at the options and it's not worth spending my limited resources on a perma-camo.  But the look of the bare ships doesn't bother me like it seems to for some people.  I have a number of unlinked perma-camos but I don't care for the look of many of them so I just ignore all of them.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 4:22 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

if I recall correctly, including the dispersion factor.

I remember this flat out being removed from the game. The concealment buff was baked in. 

Buying???

U wot mate?

If I could, I'd sell most of these new Permament camos WedGie insists on putting into rewards

Like the rust/over-the-top-&-tacky-national-draperies/Asian floral pattern ones

Just, I'd sell them in a heartbeat if I could

3 hours ago, Unlooky said:
On 4/12/2024 at 4:22 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

if I recall correctly, including the dispersion factor.

I remember this flat out being removed from the game. The concealment buff was baked in. 

Hard to believe it's been so many years, eh?  🙂 

Not me. Most of the perma-camos are perma-ugly no matter their cost. Besides, Wedgie has already immunized me into giving them another penny. 😁

• Bored 1

4 hours ago, aleksi111 said:

I'd sell them in a heartbeat if I could

Yes, all of the 'cannot be sold' barf Wedgie keeps refusing to let us remove from our inventory - all that barf one will never use. 😒

Speaking of Inventory

As someone with No T☆ ships at all, I find it deeply annoying that whenever I go to Inventory I'm forced to look at all the T☆ ship special upgrades/modules in order to check if I have old and outdated stock modules laying around.

• Like 3