The event pass for 13.3 is disingenuous and user hostile.

SolitudeFreak

Here is the track I seem to have.
image.png?ex=662926b0&is=6616b1b0&hm=29c

Here is the track many other players have.
image.png?ex=662926af&is=6616b1af&hm=a0e

As you can see, I am opted in, with no choice in the matter, into a deal which costs 1250 doubloons for 12000 coal.

Other users are opted into a deal which refunds ALL doubloons, while providing 12000 less coal.

In essence, all other items in the pad track are valued at 12000 coal, and if you do not value the 12000 coal (like me, 1.1 mil+ in reserve) you see other players getting these items for a relative cost of 0 doubloons.

A choice should be given in this matter, as different players will value these deals differently.

As it stands, I feel this is unfair and unacceptable.

Edited to add: none of this was disclosed prior to patch launch. Hence what I feel is disingenuous about it. I know the deal is stated clearly for both tracks. But I and other players will still feel cheated regardless. This feels like very bad form to me.

Edited by SolitudeFreak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SolitudeFreak said:

As you can see, I am opted in, with no choice in the matter, into a deal which costs 1250 doubloons for 12000 coal.

Other users are opted into a deal which refunds ALL doubloons, while providing 12000 less coal.

In essence, all other items in the pad track are valued at 12000 coal, and if you do not value the 12000 coal (like me, 1.1 mil+ in reserve) you see other players getting these items for a relative cost of 0 doubloons.

A choice should be given in this matter, as different players will value these deals differently.

Edited to add: none of this was disclosed prior to patch launch. Hence what I feel is disingenuous about it. I know the deal is stated clearly for both tracks. But I and other players will still feel cheated regardless. This feels like very bad form to me.

It's always been an unfair game.

Unregulated gaming companies...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SolitudeFreak said:

It isn't the first time WG do this.

Not long ago they also give different weekly missions to different players and didn't offer an option to choose.

• Like 4

Well my track gives 1250 doubloons back, a t8 bonus package, some permacamos, 24k coal, a couple port slots and some other assorted stuff. So yeah I'll grab it for the bonus package unless I somehow don't play enough to finish it, and happily ignore the fact that other people got a different deal. 

• Like 2

I got full refunded one and I am ok with that. (and I probably will reach level 24/25 at the end)

If I only have 1250 refunded I will ignore this paid BP.

WG has been busy doing A-B testing lately... I guess Weegee expect some people are going to get pissed when they found out they are at less than optimal side anyway, but they don't care about it.

I thinking is, a part of the experiment is whether players will become more committed if they ends up with paid BP for those who completes BP in the past and those who failed to complete in the past

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's always been an unfair game.

Unregulated gaming companies...

I don't know that we'd have fair "regulated" gaming companies, although I feel the same frustrations 🙂 

I have the offset (refunded) doubloons track, but not sure I'll do that even... we'll see toward the end how far I've gotten with my reduced playtime 🙂 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

You have:

A 10 point commander worth 1500 dubs

A Tier 8 permabonus worth 2800 dubs

A refund of 1250 dubs

You still stand to get greater value than you are coughing up. I would most humbly like to suggest that if that were the only track available, you'd be looking at it in a more positive light. 

• Bored 6

8 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

Bear in mind that how you value the rewards is not how anyone else values the rewards.

The key thing to remember is not to value the rewards as their doubloon price in other purchase modes.

That's a trick by WG to sucker folks into thinking items have a single defined worth.

Classic advertisment trick. Don't fall for it.

• Like 2

I got the half dubs in PT and full dubs in live...  Well, still have to pay and play to get dubs back, so not paying until I can see the end...

I got the fully refunded track, now for me this is a no brainer to buy because of the stuff. I'm interested to see in the future what else WG will do like this.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I find the idea of different people getting different anything to be odious.

Different quests, different BPs, none of that is a reasonable game mechanic in my eyes.

I honestly can't figure out what WG are thinking with this.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I have to admit that I find the idea of different people getting different anything to be odious.

Different quests, different BPs, none of that is a reasonable game mechanic in my eyes.

To see which version makes most benefit for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

The simple way of resolving this also from WGS perspective is to give players a choice, do you want coal, take that route and if you want doubloons (or say much more eco boosters f.e.) take that pass, but you choose the one that you have most use for.

1 hour ago, Gnirf said:

The simple way of resolving this also from WGS perspective is to give players a choice, do you want coal, take that route and if you want doubloons (or say much more eco boosters f.e.) take that pass, but you choose the one that you have most use for.

Indeed ... a choice would resolve the issue easily.

Hi all,

16 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

I got the 2nd one...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I got the 2nd one...

Leo "Apollo11"

And I got the 1st one....

• Like 2

I got the second one as well.  Having different (significantly different) reward tracks for the same event without offering the players a choice or even notifying them of the potential difference is another case of miscommunication (or stupidity) that will only produce resentment.  Nothing changes it would seem. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

if that were the only track available, you'd be looking at it in a more positive light. 

That is true. But it is not the only tack available. I can't help but compare with the other track, and in that light, since this deal is not in a vacuum, I feel very very burned by this. Even if you objectively look only at the value of my deal, it doesn't change that.

My only options are skip, or pay 1250 doubloons for 12000 coal(which seems a terrible trade to me).

Meanwhile, many others effectively gain the entire track, less the 12000 coal (which I don't really want) for 0 doubloons. I feel burned.

Unless an option appears this patch to select another track, I think I will skip this one purely on principle.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

As someone mentioned earlier, this smells like an attempt at A-B testing; it's a pretty common practice in Ecomm.

Presumably, WG haven't made a a lot of noise about this as they were perhaps hoping that they'd get cleaner data if nobody knew which group they were in. If so, that's rather naive: shutting down the OG forums hasn't stopped players talking to each other...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

this smells like an attempt at A-B testing;

It is. This was confirmed on the Discord by CMs.
image.thumb.png.d84c415e12bd3532d4d77b85219098d7.png

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

It is. This was confirmed on the Discord by CMs.
image.thumb.png.d84c415e12bd3532d4d77b85219098d7.png

image.jpeg.cda8750666cb853a9ca91176f79d12c2.jpeg

• Haha 4

Well, this topic has been educational for me.

For those who might be tracking the data, my current "Golden Week" battle-pass has the doubloons track.

The more interesting "shiny thing" for me is the Japanese Commander available in the paid-for track.  She's the reason I'm tempted to spend doubloons.
Now that I know my spending would be a net zero expense, it's a 'no-brainer' situation, for me.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 4

And here I thought this would be about the three 7000 BXP missions moved from the weekend to weeknights. (well, Wednesday-Thursday-Friday)

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well, this topic has been educational for me.

For those who might be tracking the data, my current "Golden Week" battle-pass has the doubloons track.

The more interesting "shiny thing" for me is the Japanese Commander available in the paid-for track.  She's the reason I'm tempted to spend doubloons.
Now that I know my spending would be a net zero expense, it's a 'no-brainer' situation, for me.

Same here, got the lucky draw and i can't resist another commander with a unique voiceover, so i will get it, if i manage to finish it that is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

And here I thought this would be about the three 7000 BXP missions moved from the weekend to weeknights. (well, Wednesday-Thursday-Friday)

What happened to Monday-Tuesday?