Are you in the moon path in NA?

Tpaktop2_1 NA

Yes, In Austin, TX. But it's cloudy, gonna be alot of disappointed people. Also conspiracy theorists are also gonna be real disappointed, but theyll jump on the next dumb thing.

The total eclipse is going right over the town where my mom, grandpa, and great grandpa were born. Unfortunately, all the relatives I had down there that I could have stayed with are long dead. It's supposed to be 80% here but the sky is full of haze and dust so I doubt that I'll see anything but a dimming of the light.

Not NA but here on the Emerald Isle we are overcast and would be privy to a partial eclipse soon but it does not look like the cloud cover will let up.

Edited by thornzero

10 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

conspiracy theorists

I just got online and have already been told that alien mother-ships are going to use the eclipse as a cover to drop probes on the US and that Russia is going to attack Hawaii because they discovered that it's technically not part of NATO.

The location where I live couldn't be better. Clear skies—perfect. The event just started a few minutes ago, and the total eclipse will be at 1:53 central US time.  Brought out the camera gear.  I will post if I get anything good.

• Like 2

Area I'm in is/was going to be 87% occlusion, but its cloudy and raining now. 😡

20 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I just got online and have already been told that alien mother-ships are going to use the eclipse as a cover to drop probes on the US and that Russia is going to attack Hawaii because they discovered that it's technically not part of NATO.

lol Snarg.

Right now the the thing is, "THE GOVERNMENT IS CHEMTRRAILING THE SKY WHILE WERE ALL OUTSIDE LOOKING FOR THE ECLIPSE! I CANT SEE THE ECLIPSE AND IM GETTING CHEM TRAILED!"

Then ofc there is Marjorie Taylor Greene the representative from GA, who thinks were gonna have the rapture. Lady doesnt understand eclipses. lol

Edited by Rollingonit
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

were gonna have the rapture

When I was a kid, there was a local lady who would dutifully report all the crosses she saw in the sky in church every Sunday. She was close to 100 and nobody had the heart to tell her that it was the Kansas City to Phoenix flight crossing the Denver to Fort Worth flight's path at the same time every morning. To giver her credit, planes didn't even exist for half of her life, much less planes that flew high enough to produce contrails. That fiery cross still appears over my town when the weather conditions are just right, at times it can be quite spectacular.

51745619480_5248a4b3b2_b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&

• Like 1

Well the window has passed here in Austin, TX. Was from around 1:35PM to 1:38PM Central, did get to kind of see it. Still cloudy. Ive seen full eclipses before, it is always a bit eerie with the darkness mid day.

edit: some pics from the eclipse in central TX.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Austin/new/

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/1bz5x4j\

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fxvqlulgvxatc1.jpeg

Edited by Rollingonit
  • Like 1

I went over to the shop and dug out my welding helmet to look at the eclipse. It looks like a crescent moon here. I don't have anything to take a picture of it with but it's really not that spectacular. The birds are confused though -- the trees are full of birds that think it's evening and have come in to roost.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

The full monty eclipse...

DSC_0756.thumb.JPG.1db2b70c175cf995dc9b4f68ef00f3e2.JPG

Prior to the eclipse, sunlight through leaves on trees (notice crescent shapes)

IMG20240408134426.thumb.jpg.18fa951729eb8adf5e1075b9d6258651.jpg

House shutters act as pinhole cameras forming crescent shapes before the eclipse.

IMG20240408132709.thumb.jpg.7ad7e6a9645a33160c82692d86077943.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well for me it was like it was going to dusk. I used Binocs as a focus on card stock and that was weird. It was like two crescent moon casts of the corona. And no I did not look at the sky with the binocs. However, clouds were a problem for my viewing.

And one more of the eclipse

DSC_0758.thumb.JPG.255f203494e5b4a24299ef4b156153cf.JPG

• Like 1

In 2017 I made the trek to Ft. Massac in Metropolis, IL.  Seven years later I returned to the same spot.

First contact:

image.thumb.jpeg.5678e41c8089fa0d3ba10e63416669db.jpeg

cloudy conditions

image.thumb.jpeg.159ab9f3f3988eb723c887e03d7766cb.jpeg

to be continued. . . 

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Like 2

midway to totality

Picture1.thumb.jpg.13a8c23025cbdac3a28e5ff8e22d57d0.jpg

totality 

corona2024.thumb.jpg.5e3efb027846d94fb252c094910ef561.jpg

(longer exposure showing coronal streamers)

Picture7.jpg.c595dd00348051959e4895c713e0d1aa.jpg

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got a brief instant of totality where I was. I watched through a pinhole onto a piece of card. When it went total, I lost the picture and took a VERY brief look to see where the Sun was and realign the card.

I would not advocate turning one's face toward a total solar eclipse unprotected for any significant length of time. But the brief glimpse I got, uncontaminated by any colour shift intrinsic to protective glass, was eerie and impressive.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I got a brief instant of totality where I was. I watched through a pinhole onto a piece of card. When it went total, I lost the picture and took a VERY brief look to see where the Sun was and realign the card.

I would not advocate turning one's face toward a total solar eclipse unprotected for any significant length of time. But the brief glimpse I got, uncontaminated by any colour shift intrinsic to protective glass, was eerie and impressive.

DURING totality it is perfectly safe to look at the eclipse.  The moon is blocking all of the direct light from your eyes.  It is during the partial phases that it can damage your eyes.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

DURING totality it is perfectly safe to look at the eclipse.  The moon is blocking all of the direct light from your eyes.  It is during the partial phases that it can damage your eyes.  

I rely on my eyes for my job. I wasn't willing to risk it.

• Like 4

The next total eclipse in 2045 going to pass right over my house or, more likely, right over my grave.

• Like 1