Apr 5 - 7 Weekend Reports

Aethervox

For myself, it was NBs (Naval Battles) on my EU & NA accounts. Both NBs were victories.

On EU 83 - 70 vs another EU clan, on NA 17 - 13 versus an AS clan. 

Otherwise, I saw a lot of really bad, bad teams to the point of wanting to uninstall this game. Then I see Frostbow post a cheering result so 'optimism' returns 😀.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hahaha! Glad to know I was able to give a ray of sunshine. 

On my end, I had the chance to sink a Kommisar. 

I've been curious about this ship which is still currently in testing. We'll see how he is soon enough. 

shot-24.04.07_23.16.22-0741.jpg

Edited by Frostbow
  • Like 1

Saturday was successful thanks to Naval Battles and a stream. Sunday I had technical issues that curtailed play after the basic minimum got done, and those same technical issues curtailed my usual Weekend Spree report, so thanks to @Aethervox for filling in there.

However, I did get all the battle pass requirements done, so with that I put the laptop in for a maintenance work-up this morning and hope to have it back by the time the Dockyard kicks off. I hadn't originally planned on doing it, but the presence of WV44 in my port means that I can get a T10 premium ("special") dockyard ship without paying any money at all, so I'm climbing back in the ring for one more go. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 3

I took the opportunity for a break most of the week-end. The quiet time before the patch is ideal to take breaks and re-group for any changes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

technical issues curtailed my usual Weekend Spree report, so thanks to @Aethervox for filling in there.

Ah, I would have used your post but it wasn't there (as you explain) so I placed something in it's place to keep a weekend report going. Glad to assist 😃.

spent a good deal of time prepping (and traveling) for the eclipse.  Just posted some photos (if you're interested.)

• Like 1

Friday AM was all Naval Battles (we won) and I spent the rest of the day setting up our Saturday Muzzle Loading matches...  Whew.....the ticks are out now and we shoot in a private nature preserve that has been untouched for several decades (so, it's pretty thick and great for Woods Walk events...!)  Small bore (caliber) rifles this time....  Gosh, I am so glad there isn't any RNG in real life shooting... 

And, it was a hoot to see an original 1860-70's, 36 caliber Under Hammer being used...  The Owner took third and that goes to prove that patched round balls simply won't "shoot out" the rifling..... 

Underhammer.thumb.JPG.7c6df8c4fb17e16b67887da1169357d6.JPG

I won two of the three matches and played Ops Saturday night....  And, that was about it for the weekend;......other than, second cleaning Rifles and putting away steel targets.

• Like 3

Played a lot of Pinatas managed to get past stage 12 (and to 14 on Monday). Reached 12 wins in ranked. so enough for this two weeks. 

Overall a productive weekend. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Asym said:

Gosh, I am so glad there isn't any RNG in real life shooting... 

Oh come on, don't tell me dispersion doesn't exist... 🤣

9 hours ago, Asym said:

Under Hammer

What motivated someone to come up with that idea? I assume it's to get the pan or percussion cap as far away from the shooter's line of sight as possible? (Never seen a percussion cap firearm shot IRL; not sure to what extent the cap going off would distract.)

9 hours ago, Asym said:

patched round balls simply won't "shoot out" the rifling..... 

No, that's the job of a jacketed bullet with smokeless powder. 😜 (Which is what prompted the British to go from Metford to Enfield rifling when they finally got a tropics-stable smokeless powder worked out.)

11 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Oh come on, don't tell me dispersion doesn't exist... 🤣

What motivated someone to come up with that idea? I assume it's to get the pan or percussion cap as far away from the shooter's line of sight as possible? (Never seen a percussion cap firearm shot IRL; not sure to what extent the cap going off would distract.)

No, that's the job of a jacketed bullet with smokeless powder. 😜 (Which is what prompted the British to go from Metford to Enfield rifling when they finally got a tropics-stable smokeless powder worked out.)

Actually, "dispersion" is weather and Load Data:.....and, a lot of other things, you can't control, too numerous to mention.  I was being "facetious"....  After a  couple of decades of shooting for score, a great many of those "small acts of the Schwartz (GoD if you prefer) become more white noise more than harbingers of Doom....  STOMPS do exist in the shooting world......they really do !  

Under Hammers and Percussion Caps have a long and painful history...  You see, science is a two edged sword.  We created compounds that explode when compressed.  So, the first percussion caps (in the late 1830's-early 1840's) were a might...........dangerous.  They exploded in your face and well, if you have ever experienced a Flintlock's gas port jet on ignition, you quickly learn not to stand close to the pan side of a Flintlock.  The Percussion caps are several inches from your eyes......see where this is going.....

So, some very smart person decided to place the cap on the bottom of the barrel, thereby, subjecting you hands versus your eyes to sharp metal fragments and explosive gasses....  The side effect was that the upper barrel now was more open with no distracting "flashes in the pan or small explosive clouds of cap dust !"  All sorts of new sights were designed to fit the unique shape under hammers created.   Side Lock rifles were also being created as well.  Some were called "Rabbit eared" side locks.

image.thumb.jpeg.3911870d10b78e0d4a19be356b781da7.jpeg

Both side and bottom locks all experienced the caps "falling off when needed...  Especially, when very cold".  The other selling point is that Left Handed shooters now had a firearm better suited and far, far less expensive than having a left handed rifle made......which, did occur;  since, each rifle was part by part manufactured....  But, the cost to do so, versus a small batch of right handed parts that were "shopped out" to small metal working businesses lowering the cost, simply didn't exist...  And, there was a "stigma" about being "left handed" back then that lasted into the 20th century....  Ever hear the stories about left handed boys in Parochial schools where the nuns took a ruler to the hands of that boy if he wrote left handed.......  Not girls, boys.........  And, in other parts of the world, there are to this day, things you don't do left handed......

So.....does that start the quest to learn more???  You should see out "open house" days where the public is invited.  After the movie  "The Patriot" came out, we had several years of large crowds.  We stopped several years ago when COVID shut the world down.  But, who knows what the future holds: but, old school shooting is more fun than modern shooting so.........we'll see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Asym said:

Friday AM was all Naval Battles (we won) and I spent the rest of the day setting up our Saturday Muzzle Loading matches...  Whew.....the ticks are out now and we shoot in a private nature preserve that has been untouched for several decades (so, it's pretty thick and great for Woods Walk events...!)  Small bore (caliber) rifles this time....  Gosh, I am so glad there isn't any RNG in real life shooting... 

Nice...my dad visited on Saturday to fish for crappie and blue catfish and brought me this to pass down.  It's an Italian copy of a 1951 Navy, .36 cap and ball.  It isn't worth a fraction of what a Colt '51 Navy would bring, but that means I can shoot this one!  It will be fun to have alongside the St. Louis Hawken clone I built last fall.

1851 Navy.jpg

Edited by desmo_2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Nice...my dad visited on Saturday to fish for crappie and blue catfish and brought me this to pass down.  It's an Italian copy of a 1951 Navy, .36 cap and ball.  It isn't worth a fraction of what a Colt '51 Navy would bring, but that means I can shoot this one!  It will be fun to have alongside the St. Louis Hawken clone I built last fall.

1851 Navy.jpg

We compete with them (the cap & ball 1858's, 51's and 1836's and all the other variants !) once a quarter....  They are a lot of fun ! 

I shoot an 1858 that I've had for decades and had worked on...  I still use a lead, .457 swagged round ball.   Some of the upper end C&B pistols are extremely accurate and many shooters don't use Round Balls anymore.  Some have had custom, hollow based molds built out of traditional flat nosed pistol lead bullets....

So many choices, so little time........

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

spent a good deal of time prepping (and traveling) for the eclipse.  Just posted some photos (if you're interested.)

I was able to see totality at my sister in laws house. Spent most of the weekend traveling and visiting.

Played one match of world of warships while waiting for halftime to end in my alma maters attempt to win a basketball national championship...we lost. Still glad to see Purdue back in the final four. It's been a long time.

The match was a win in my HMS Tiger. One citadel and the killing shot on the enemy Peter Veliki...can't claim to have carried...

We had a division with a Kamikaze R and a Giulio Cesare on our side...