Seeking Help with Carrier Gameplay in World of Warships - Struggling at Higher Tiers

Hyper_Beetle

Hey there, fellow World of Warships captains! I'm fairly new to the game and have recently started playing as a carrier. I'm currently working my way up the Midway line and just unlocked the Ranger. However, I'm facing some challenges and could really use your help.

In my very first battle with the Ranger, I got completely wrecked. My planes were getting shot down by enemy anti-aircraft defenses right away. I'm having trouble figuring out how to use fighter planes and boost consumables effectively. Also, I noticed that the enemy carrier was being aggressive and not retreating to the map's edge. Is this a good tactic for carriers?

I've heard from others that as a carrier, I should support my team by using fighters and helping out with destroyers. But I'm confused about how to target destroyers as a carrier. It worked relatively well for me with the Langley, so I feel like I must be missing something.

To be honest, I'm absolutely lost when it comes to playing high-tier carriers. That's why I'm reaching out to you, experienced carrier captains, for some guidance. I would really appreciate it if you could break down how to play the Ranger and excel with carriers at higher tiers. Any tips, strategies, or advice you can share would be incredibly helpful for me to get better at carrier gameplay.

Thank you so much in advance for your support, and I'm looking forward to learning from the experienced members of this community. Smooth sailing and fair seas to all!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hyper_Beetle said:

Hey there, fellow World of Warships captains! I'm fairly new to the game and have recently started playing as a carrier. I'm currently working my way up the Midway line and just unlocked the Ranger. However, I'm facing some challenges and could really use your help.

In my very first battle with the Ranger, I got completely wrecked. My planes were getting shot down by enemy anti-aircraft defenses right away. I'm having trouble figuring out how to use fighter planes and boost consumables effectively. Also, I noticed that the enemy carrier was being aggressive and not retreating to the map's edge. Is this a good tactic for carriers?

I've heard from others that as a carrier, I should support my team by using fighters and helping out with destroyers. But I'm confused about how to target destroyers as a carrier. It worked relatively well for me with the Langley, so I feel like I must be missing something.

To be honest, I'm absolutely lost when it comes to playing high-tier carriers. That's why I'm reaching out to you, experienced carrier captains, for some guidance. I would really appreciate it if you could break down how to play the Ranger and excel with carriers at higher tiers. Any tips, strategies, or advice you can share would be incredibly helpful for me to get better at carrier gameplay.

Thank you so much in advance for your support, and I'm looking forward to learning from the experienced members of this community. Smooth sailing and fair seas to all!

First of all, do not worry. New class, new problems and it's a new learning experience. For the moment your stats don't matter, what matters is you improving and understanding what to do. I am happy to see you chose the Midway line, it's a good line to start off with but on Asia it's not as good as compared to Hak. Don't worry though it'll serve you just fine to learn with.

Firstly how I like to think about tackling CVs each tier has a purpose. A purpose where you learn and experience new things.

Tier 4:

At tier 4 your learn how to perfect your drops, there's no AA at this tier. You should be playing and learning with your tier 4 CVs on how to get the best possible drops with every strike. This is also where I'd say try and learn against targeting destroyers and more nimble targets.  

Tier 6:

This is where AA picks up, you'll be facing tier 8s a lot so it makes you learn the hard way about conserving planes and selecting the right isolated targets in an up-tier. It's also where CVs have more carry power and punching power. You should spend a couple matches getting used to the drop patterns again, hopefully this shouldn't be too hard. After you've gotten used to the drop patterns the next thing to learn is target prioritization. In those tier 8 matches you WILL suffer hard and lose planes. This is why you should be able to figure out (By using the trusty minimap) what ships are all alone and vulnerable. These are the targets you go for. Also this is where you learn to use cover, islands, rocks whatever you can find. Minimizing the time AA has to shoot at you, minimizing your plane losses and such.

Tier 8:

This is where you should be more experienced. While yes you'll get into tier 10 matches, yes you will lose planes. However most tier 8 CVs have great punching power and if you remember how to do the things mentioned before:

Target selection

Using cover

Then you should be way better off. Also here is where I'd learn to position the CV more aggressively. Knowing when it's safe to go right up into a certain spot. Maybe it's the Two Brothers map and the middle has been secured by an Ally. Then you know you could move in towards the islands there to maximize your plane DPM. Tier 8 is just relearning the same mechanics and then applying them again against bigger scarier ships in your bigger scarier CV.

Tier 10:

This is where it all comes together. You are the best class in-game for carrying. You have control of what happens in battle and who dies. Your choices and decisions will easily influence the match. Hunting the DDs while harder than farming down the isolated BB will give you much more control of the battle but it won't give you the damage numbers. Your decisions here matter.

Now as for the Midway line specifically. When you're hunting DDs you use your amazing bombers. Take time to learn at the lower tiers, yes tiers 4-6 at how to hit an actively dodging target. Midway bombers can be quite agile while in the attacking phase so as long as you take the appropriate lead if you predict well you should be able to hit them.

Using fighters is another big topic, generally against a CV that knows what they're doing. They're not very useful, however for spotting key enemy ships they're 100% worth the use.

Positioning your CV is also important, I mentioned before about learning how to position. You need to know when being closer is the best option. The closer a CV is to the battle the more squadron DPM they're out-putting.

As for speed boost and healing. I wouldn't worry about healing yet as you should play the lower tier CVs. But for speed boost just imagine it as if you really need to kill something off/set perma fires/floods on an enemy ship.

Also remember the easiest part of this all... Is dodging the flak, the small black bubbles that pop up. As long as you're constantly changing speed and course you should be able to effectively dodge it all.

Hope this helps - Boob

• Like 5

Bob's comments above probably will cover most of what you need to know to get started improving into T6 gameplay and beyond.  I would also look up:  

CV gameplay, like all ship types, is something you learn by doing and through experience.  Remember that as a CV, you are jumping two tiers with each new progression rather than one, so it can be more jarring in terms of the jump in power and opposition when you are first playing your new CV.  

As a final caution, be sure to keep up on the proposed and active changes to the game, as CVs are about to undergo some noteworthy changes that will impact what you are learning now.  How many and what form they take when actually implemented can change, but keep in mind that how you play them now may alter soon.  A good place to keep a weather eye out is here:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your journey!

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Start out by flying in a 7 shape to scout out the enemy team. Drop fighter the second you spot anything. 

Strike targets that are closing in and generally ignore ones that run away, but don't let anybody live. Always kill off stragglers. Look around and look at minimap. 

A myopic focus on destroyers is not the path to enlightenment. Try to determine how much of a problem a destroyer is and if your team can or will shoot it. If you're unsure just keep doing damage to something else though while occasionally spotting the destroyer. Any ship that you help kill is a step closer to victory. A destroyer that lives and takes all your time is not. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hyper_Beetle said:

The only CV player I know who also teaches... Ahskance

Check him out in YT and ask him a question in WOWS Discord channel.

Since the change from RTS CVs (the last ship needing skill). The role of the Current CV system is more diverse.. Something, I can't give you any suggestions on in good faith.

However, from a DD/cruiser/BB POV.. I would like a CV driver to

• Provide spotting
  • Kill or Harass DDs.
  • Sink low HP ship
  • Send planes to no AA ships.
  • Attack the ship who is topping the leader board.

Since the role of the CV is diverse. These priorities will change with every match.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Like 3

Also prepare to be flamed a lot. It's all your fault now. The DD that dies at 2 min, all the red caps, the battleship getting torped, global warming, the witch hunts, all on you. 

• Haha 3

Some sound advice is listed above by forum members.  As @Jakob Knight and @Navalpride33 bring up, take a look at Ahskance's lessons.  They are very good.

I would also highly recommend AngelicCypher Twitch and YouTube video lessons.  He is a very good CV player and does a fantastic job of teaching and explaining all things related to CV play.

AngelicCypher - YouTube

AngelicCypher's Videos - Twitch

https://discord.gg/ZWEJscA3ff  (If you wish to contact AngelicCypher directly, his Discord server, for any questions you may have)

Like any class of ship in the game, plenty of articles and videos exist.  Take your time, as it will well be worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Hyper_Beetle, you've been given some good responses already, especially with Ahskance's compendium.

While I don't have much to add, I can provide some pictures which illustrate some concepts.

1.  Flak is fired towards "where your planes will be" if you continue in a straight line.
So, don't continue in a straight line for very long while your planes are exposed to flak.
Instead, use S-curved zig-zags or C-curved maneuvers to evade flak bursts.

Flakavoidanceillustration_copiedfromMerc_R_Usinaforumpost_04-02-2022_.thumb.jpg.3f503c095670f4fee035de92686f077e.jpg

2.  As @BOBTHEBALL mentioned, "use cover".
So, plan your flight-paths so that there is an island between you and the target when feasible.

Sure, you'll eventually have to expose your planes in order to perform an attack run. 
But, the less time you spend inside a Flak Bubble, the less damage your planes are likely to sustain.

3.  "It's all in the approach".
The *ideal* approaches to targets will depend upon which ordnance you're trying to hit the target with.
Rockets are preferably aimed at the broadside of a ship.
Bombs are preferably aimed at the center of a ship.
Torpedoes are preferably aimed at the broadside of a ship.

TorpedoattackrunforBattleshipIseandhertorpedoplanescrudelyillustrated_01-06-2022_.thumb.jpg.08e2a7da44c0e5ba5f7cd82fc3742342.jpg  
Typically, the US aerial torpedoes swim at a speed of 35 knots.  There are modules and Captain's skills which can improve that speed.
The trade-off may involve a longer arming distance, which means your target will have just as much reaction time and you'll have a more difficult time trying to launch torpedoes in tight spaces between islands. 
Which is why I tend to spend my Captain's points on the other skill, which reduces the arming distance of the torpedoes, instead.

At Tier-4 and Tier-6, where most of the BB's have top-speeds of around 20 knots, aim about half of a ship-length ahead of the BB.
Practice this, in Co-op or a training room or wherever you like, until you're nailing the target with all of your launched torpedoes.
Then practice some more and include cruisers and DD's and adjust your aim to account for their speed and smaller hulls.
DD's are the most challenging targets to hit with torpedoes.

But, given that USN rocket planes have the longest firing delay (compared to the rocket planes of other nations), learning to aim torpedoes effectively is worth the time investment, in my opinion.
In a real human versus human situation, expect a competent DD player to maneuver and dodge most of your ordnance.  Don't be upset about it.
Bombs are generally more effective versus DD's, and somewhat easier to aim. 
Yet there will be times when you find a target of opportunity and have to strike it with whatever you've got at the moment.
Or they're hiding in a smokescreen and you want to flush them out with the threat of being hit by a lucky guess when you aimed some ordnance.

Bombrunillustrationofflightpathinacartoonishmanner_07-20-2020_forEstimated_Prophetonforums_.thumb.jpg.3ed3d1af7376b1df97452b406986f255.jpg  
The above bombing-run illustration is intended for use upon a battleship.
With fast-moving cruisers, one should increase the "lead" and release bombs when the center of the reticle is over the tip of the ship's bow, or slightly ahead.
With faster moving destroyers, one may have to release an entire ship-length ahead of the target.
With most CV's, the ideal bombing approach will be from the front of the target (as pictured above).  The next best is an approach from their aft (opposite of above).
There are a few exceptions, such as the Graf Zeppelin and the Erich Loewenhardt.  But you won't have to worry about that while grinding the US CV's tech-tree.

As mentioned earlier, your toughest targets will be the ones who know how & when to maneuver.

The opposite of maneuvering targets are those who "Island camp" or beach themselves for whatever reason.
With the proper path of approach, a CV can hammer campers/beachers with every aerial ordnance available.

When using USN rocket planes, I mentioned earlier that they have the longest firing delay.
So, I tend to use them on BB's and Cruisers. 
Ideally, the rockets will impact the target's broadside near the base of the superstructure and above the armor belt.
It is possible to hit a DD with rockets.  It may take a lot of practice, though.

Armor Piercing rockets are available for some CV's, but they're even more "niche" than the High Velocity Aircraft Rockets (HVAR) and won't do much to a destroyer (if they even hit a DD, due to the smaller number of rockets in a salvo and the wider gaps between rockets in the salvo pattern and because of the over-penetration game mechanics). 
So, generally speaking, if I'm limited to only having AP rockets, I prefer to use AP rockets to hit cruisers and BB's. 
When I have the choice of which rockets to select, I prefer to equip my CV's with the more versatile high-explosive (H.E.) / (H.V.A.R.) rockets.

Vision Control.
If your team can see and shoot at red-team ships without being similarly spotted by red-team ships, then that is a good thing.

Deploying Fighter-drops for spotting purposes is beneficial.  Deploying fighters to destroy red-team planes which are spotting your team's ships is also beneficial.
Deploying fighters over a team-mate who is island-camping at the back of the map and crying a river in battle-chat is going to be a judgement call on your part.  🙂 
Ahskance probably has more information and helpful tips about deploying fighters in his youtube videos.  🙂 

Well @Hyper_Beetle, I hope this has been helpful.  Feel free to ask follow-up questions.  I'm confident everyone will do their best to provide answers.  🙂 

Edited to add:  P.S.  Welcome to "CV Life".  🙂 

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Players are often told to "get gud" and to use their WASD keys of their keyboard to alter their course and speed to avoid incoming ordnance of all types.

It may help to learn to "read" a ship's speed according to the water flowing around their hull and the smoke being emitted from their stacks.

Smoketrailshelpdetermineshipspeedanddirection_09-05-2022_.thumb.jpg.119cef14dda1ec4a1536651bf860e7d1.jpg  

Lots of good advice already given.

I'll cover hull positioning since it does not appear to be discussed yet.

Do NOT sail to the map backline. You are decreasing your game impact by doing so... especially in the US CV line as your planes aren't fast.

Do NOT hide behind islands. That makes you vulnerable to torpedo shotguns by destroyers and subs. Plus it robs you of your stealthy ship early warning system...I.e, knowing when your hull is spotted.

Always stay moving. A CV takes a long time to start and stop. Enemy ships have a harder time hitting a moving target.

Do not move in a straight predictable line, use a zig zag course (set using the autopilot). Best zig zag courses are set so the legs of your course are angling your armor against the most likely directions of enemy battleship shells if / when you get spotted.

Try to keep your team ships between you and the enemy. This helps you support your team...and reduces the risk of being fired on or rushed.

Late game, do not be afraid to go to the middle of the map, or cap. You have a decent amount of HP, and can survive doing some aggressive things if that helps your team win.

Good luck, and keep trying.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It helps a CV player to learn how to use the Autopilot feature

Why use the autopilot at all? Not even with RTS CVs did I ever use it. Use the 'M' key to plot a move & do that again, as necessary.

Flip into manual movement mode to move your CV. It takes seconds to do so. How difficult is it to do this  🙄 with just one flight of planes 😏 to otherwise control? 

Try controlling up to 7 or 8 plane squadrons & moving your CV like we had to do in RTS CV times. Any reworked CV player who can't do 2 (or 3, including the CV itself) should not play reworked CVs. Wedgie made reworked CV play for 'dummies'. It is why it is known as an easy griefer class to play.

Edited by Aethervox
  • Bored 2

32 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Always stay moving.

I, almost always, did this. It still amazes me that many CV players barely ever, if at all, move their reworked CV.

Wedgie even to this day advises that CVs should not move much (ROFL) but then most of us know how dumbed down Wedgie wants its player base to be 😐.

10 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Use the 'M' key to plot a move & do that again, as necessary.

That *is* using the autopilot for the hull.
The planes don't have an autopilot that I'm aware of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Why use the autopilot at all? Not even with RTS CVs did I ever use it. Use the 'M' key to plot a move & do that again, as necessary.

Flip into manual movement mode to move your CV. It takes seconds to do so. How difficult is it to do this  🙄 with just one flight of planes 😏 to otherwise control? 

Try controlling up to 7 or 8 plane squadrons & moving your CV like we had to do in RTS CV times. Any reworked CV player who can't do 2 (or 3, including the CV itself) should not play reworked CVs. Wedgie made reworked CV play for 'dummies'. It is why it is known as an easy griefer class to play.

Ummm....I'm afraid I'm confused about some of your points here.

Returning to manual control of you carrier means the return of any squadron you may have enroute to a target.  Autopilot mode does not do this.

As the system since the Rework years ago only allows a single squadron to be controlled and in the air at a time, I fail to see how anyone is supposed to control 7 or 8 squadrons and move their CV.

Please elaborate.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

Returning to manual control of you carrier means the return of any squadron you may have enroute to a target.  Autopilot mode does not do this.

*** Pardon my response. Apparently, I did use autopilot with the 'M' key - I inadvertently called that manual control.

As the system since the Rework years ago only allows a single squadron to be controlled and in the air at a time, I fail to see how anyone is supposed to control 7 or 8 squadrons and move their CV.

*** If you played RTS CVs you could launch all your plane squadrons one after the other & set an initial destination for them. As they flew you could change their flight path. Plus one could also plot & move their RTS CV. So, at high tiers, I believe one could move up to 8 plane squadrons & your CV = 9.

I had a Taiho back then & it had 7 plane squadrons plus it moves so that's 8. I'd like the reworked CV players to play like this. My bet is most of them couldn't. 😁

32 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Using the M key and plotting a course IS using the autopilot for your hull.

Furthermore, you can't manually control your hull without recalling your planes.

Using CVs as designed by WG is NOT GRIEFING.

STOP spreading that TOXIC idea.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Like 2
  • Bored 1

2 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

*** If you played RTS CVs you could launch all your plane squadrons one after the other & set an initial destination for them. As they flew you could change their flight path. Plus one could also plot & move their RTS CV. So, at high tiers, I believe one could move up to 8 plane squadrons & your CV = 9.

I had a Taiho back then & it had 7 plane squadrons plus it moves so that's 8. I'd like the reworked CV players to play like this. My bet is most of them couldn't. 😁

How about keeping your advice current to what the game is *now*?  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Using CVs as designed by WG is NOT GRIEFING.

STOP spreading that TOXIC idea.

I'm not the one who invented the term 'griefing'. You know, or should know, as well as I that the player base came up with this description for what WG has designed.

I believe I'm entitled to my opinion about reworked CVs. You, DAC, are the one throwing out the term 'toxic' simply because you appear not to agree with my opinion.

• Bored 1

4 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

I'm not the one who invented the term 'griefing'. You know, or should know, as well as I that the player base came up with this description for what WG has designed.

I believe I'm entitled to my opinion about reworked CVs. You, DAC, are the one throwing out the term 'toxic' simply because you appear not to agree with my opinion.

The playerbase definition is wrong. Playing a ship class as designed in a game cannot be griefing.

I suggest you educate yourself on the term as it is used outside of this game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

You are entitled to your opinion...and it does reflect upon you.

I try to avoid punishing players for playing the game as designed.

I take my irritation for the game design to where it should go, WG staff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I try to avoid punishing players for playing the game as designed.

I take my irritation for the game design to where it should go, WG staff.

Today's the eclipse, no wounder... We finally agree on something.

Making sure to take out our frustrations, on the correct dept.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

The playerbase definition is wrong. Playing a ship class as designed in a game cannot be griefing.

I stand corrected via your Wiki reference. What is an acceptable or accurate term, then, for badly designed WoWS ship classes?

I stand corrected via your Wiki reference. What is an acceptable or accurate term, then, for badly designed WoWS ship classes?

I called CVs=Corona Virus

Its an oldie but goodie 🤣

• Haha 1

Brutally overpowered?

6 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Your personal opinion.