Planned Obsolescence

Snargfargle

Apple says that if your iPhone is over seven years old then it's not their fault if it explodes.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

What would be funny is if old Apple phones were left all over their Genius stores as litter. I think they would get a idea real fast what to do with the old phones.

They tend to treat their customers like dirt and yet their customers put  up with it.

11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Apple says that if your iPhone is over seven years old then it's not their fault if it explodes.

If the battery "shorts" and a fire is started, the principle is the same for a cellphone or a vehicle.

Deadly cargo ship fire still burning on vessel carrying 500 electric vehicles in North Sea
Updated on: July 28, 2023 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cargo-ship-fire-netherlands-ev-electric-vehicle-battery-north-sea-freemantle-highway/

Focus: Ocean shippers playing catch up to electric vehicle fire risk
By Lisa Baertlein and Anthony Deutsch
July 28, 2023  12:29 PM EDT
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ocean-shippers-playing-catch-up-electric-vehicle-fire-risk-2023-07-27/

EV fires - rescuers and the public are unprepared against the risks | Auto Expert John Cadogan

Best EV firefighting (thermal runaway) technique yet! | Auto Expert John Cadogan

12 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

If the battery "shorts" and a fire is started, the principle is the same for a cellphone or a vehicle.

Just now, Snargfargle said:

If I had an EV, I'd park it well away from the house.

Just now, Snargfargle said:

If I had an EV, I'd park it well away from the house.

Vintage expensive homes in Manchester, New Hampshire have what are called "Carriage Houses" separate from the main house.
Essentially, they were for carriages used when horses were the primary means of transportation.
And older homes of well-to-do people still have them on the property.

They are distinct from an "attached garage" which is a more common feature of homes built in the last 50 years.

Nowadays, "carriage houses" probably don't hold actual carriages, at least most of them don't.
But, they can still be used as a "garage" for cars or motorcycles and etc.

Perhaps they'll make a comeback?  For electric vehicles?  🙂 

4 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Perhaps they'll make a comeback?  For electric vehicles?  🙂 

That would be smart if you have the space. I keep my gas cans in my garden shed. If if it burns down, all I've lost is a few rakes and hoes.

I was just watching Steve Lehto. New Jersey is implementing an extra tax on electrical vehicles because they don't pay road tax on gas. What's sneaky is that they give you a tax incentive coupon to buy an electric vehicle but when people send it in they say "Oh, didn't you read the fine print? That's only for the first so many bought in a year."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

That would be smart if you have the space. I keep my gas cans in my garden shed. If if it burns down, all I've lost is a few rakes and hoes.

I was just watching Steve Lehto. New Jersey is implementing an extra tax on electrical vehicles because they don't pay road tax on gas. What's sneaky is that they give you a tax incentive coupon to buy an electric vehicle but when people send it in they say "Oh, didn't you read the fine print? That's only for the first so many bought in a year."

Yeah, the bean-counters are probably going to propose tax systems similar to what commercial trucks already deal with.
https://numbersquad.com/a-comprehensive-guide-to-commercial-truck-taxes-for-truckers/
For electric commercial vehicles, the system is already in place, I figure.  It's non-commercial electric cars and pick-up trucks that will be under scrutiny.
And, yeah, the irony isn't lost on me (tax incentives for EV's being replaced with taxation system implementations, once EV's become popular enough).

The government(s) generally want "control" and "revenue" and "power" and to get re-elected. 
So, they're constantly seeking ways to accomplish all of the above while simultaneously attempting to portray themselves as heroes for the common people.  😉 

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1