DevBlog: 80TH ANNIVERSARY OF D-DAY - CLOSED TEST 13.4

Tricericon

This looks interesting, nice to see new Operations and that lower tier ships get some love.

• Like 4

Definitely worth looking into.

• Like 3

this is honestly exciting to see, new operations was seriously overdue and WG finally listens by giving 3 new ops! /^.\\

• Like 3

Looks great will have to give it a try.

• Like 1

A PvE focused dev blog, what? And a new perma for Jervis.

9/10, pretty excited.

• Like 1

I like the landing-craft and LST ships being included.

• Like 1

There are 3 issues I see with this event:

-The Ops are temporary. So it's 2 weeks each, 6 weeks total, then they get put back where the sun doesn't shine. I'd rater have permanent new scenarios.

-The new port has the same issue, patch only from what the dev blog says. I'd rather have new ports/quality updates to existing ports.

-The boxes are an overpriced scam. 3% chance for a Nelson, while the new and underwhelming ships are 1%? It's a joke, but not a funny one.

While it's nice to get something new, the content is temporary and in my opinion not worth the work that has been put into it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes...

I've tried the D-Day mission on the PTS. Some observations:

• the torpedoboats are fast, tiny (duh) and tough to hit, at least with DD or CL guns, since there's no splash damage the way there is against subs
  • DD and CL guns do next to nothing against coastal artillery and "AA guns" (which are in bunkers, for some reason) alike. You need BBs or possibly CAs to clear them for the main objective
  • the planes can mess you up: solid rocket salvoes on DDs
  • the forts can mess you up: accurate fire and good fire chance
  • about half the way through, Allied landing ships will appear on the North and East flanks: someone needs to have stayed/gone back for them near A10, as half a dozen German DDs will spawn behind them shortly afterwards. If no one's there to swat them, they'll decimate the LSTs
  • the LSTs will sail towards land...but there are minefields along the way (confusingly "owned" by the Aerodrome) and they'll cut them down easily if they haven't been cleared. Thing is, people tend to go straight down the NE-SW diagonal at first, so they won't bother clearing these "side" minefields

Screenshot(2726).thumb.png.e291f8ce78be92c17d59d2aabc7284fc.png

For what it's worth, I managed to clear 2k xp, in an Atlanta. About 100k dmg, overwhelmingly against the DDs near A10.

Spoiler

Screenshot(2728).thumb.png.9423d90c40136e84b6624390a16cd12f.png

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

I've tried the D-Day mission on the PTS. Some observations:

• the torpedoboats are fast, tiny (duh) and tough to hit, at least with DD or CL guns, since there's no splash damage the way there is against subs
  • DD and CL guns do next to nothing against coastal artillery and "AA guns" (which are in bunkers, for some reason) alike. You need BBs or possibly CAs to clear them for the main objective
  • the planes can mess you up: solid rocket salvoes on DDs
  • the forts can mess you up: accurate fire and good fire chance
  • about half the way through, Allied landing ships will appear on the North and East flanks: someone needs to have gone stayed/gone back for them near A10, as half a dozen German DDs will spawn behind them shortly afterwards. If no one's there to swat them, they'll decimate the LSTs
  • the LSTs will sail towards land...but there are minefields along the way (confusingly "owned" by the Aerodrome) and they'll cut them down easily if they haven't been cleared. Thing is, people tend to go straight down the NE-SW diagonal at first, so they won't bother clearing these "side" minefields

Screenshot(2726).thumb.png.e291f8ce78be92c17d59d2aabc7284fc.png

For what it's worth, I managed to clear 2k xp, in an Atlanta. About 100k dmg, overwhelmingly against the DDs near A10.

Hide contents

Screenshot(2728).thumb.png.9423d90c40136e84b6624390a16cd12f.png

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Now I'm curious to try it.  🙂 

On 4/17/2024 at 3:38 PM, tocqueville8 said:

On 4/17/2024 at 3:45 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

toc's experience sounds cautiously positive.

Mine was entirely negative.

Couldn't target torpedo boats; they constantly broke lock. Having to rely on secondaries to shoot at them isn't fun.

Can't see the E-boat torpedoes.

Minefields seem to magically spawn either right in front of you, or right on top of you.

FINALLY, somehow, get close to shore. Guns won't damage the gun bunkers. Guns won't damage the airfields.

Magical guns from Dynamo are back! They are 100% accurate, set you on fire, and you can't shoot back at them.

More E-boats appear on top of you with no warning.

@Ensign Cthulhu  seems to think otherwise; based on what he said on a Twitch stream; but to me the Op was a colossal dud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Couldn't target torpedo boats; they constantly broke lock.

I think target lock never works under a certain range, but we normally only see that during drive-bys, which are rare in WoWs.

12 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

toc's experience sounds cautiously positive.

Eh, not really:

• with a DD it was a pain, let's not even consider it
  • Atlanta did fine against planes, mines and DDs, but was useless against the coastal stuff
  • Renown '44 did fine against planes, DDs (very accurate secondaries) and coastal stuff, but kind of "meh" against the DDs and the mines (it's better to have ship-borne depth charges)
  • Helena has similar problems against mines, but her 6'' can damage the coastal stuff with AP, at least inside 12 km or so
  • I'm now trying the Dutch T7 boat, since she has good AA (but no Def AA yet, on this line), 6'' guns and depth charges (4 sets with the module)...aaaaaand the E-boats just Dev Struck me on C4 😑

EDIT: tried again, we lost every ship on the team and every transport, but somehow that counts as "mission accomplished". George W. Bush, move aside...

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Thanks 1

Another attempt in the Atlanta:

• I relied on the team to clear the coastal installations
  • 2.7k xp (!), from massacring the E-boats, the DDs, the planes and a fair bit of mines
  • I still couldn't achieve but one of the secondary objectives (killing the DDs in our spawn): we lost all the transports again...

Spoiler

Screenshot(2743).thumb.png.1ddf5d34640d1fc38ed012f9cf43957a.png

Then a final attempt, and the 4th AA gun, the forts and aerodrome didn't spawn, or they de-spawned, so we failed the primary objective. They still kept shooting and launching planes, so we also failed the secondary objectives. FFS, WG...

Edited by tocqueville8
  • Like 1

The only time i was able to finish this mission was in my Renown 44. Seems the best ship in my possession for this, so far. Also tried Atlanta, but i didn't found it very fun, like tocqueville8 already posted, you will not be able to damage the coastal batteries, also hitting the Schnellboote takes some practice, at least for me. So far this seems way too hard, it will be even more difficult with the teammates i usually get on the Live Server.

02.jpg

03.jpg