Ancient Egyptian hull design

Justin_Simpleton

Years ago I read a book by Wilbur Smith, "River God" where he talked about how a large group of people dismantled their boats and carried them up and around the cataracts of the Nile River and then reassembled the boats and continued their journey up the Nile.  I thought this was part of the fiction of the book.  Then a few years later, I found this picture and it was an 'Oh!' moment.  That's how it could have happened.

https://images.app.goo.gl/DFAtC7jNpfYjDGZV8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The "ancients" did quite a bit of traveling, and seafaring too.

Think of how many ships full of Polynesians were lost at sea, never to be seen again, before one finally landed on the shores of Hawaii.

Thor Heyerdahl proved that the ancient Egyptians, Polynesians, and other seafaring peoples of the Old World could have sailed to the New World with the technology they had at the time. Not saying that they did but it was entirely possible.

default.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3f018a2af48c9

Ra.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=a0f4b4f8586628f467

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Years ago I read a book by Wilbur Smith, "River God" where he talked about how a large group of people dismantled their boats and carried them up and around the cataracts of the Nile River and then reassembled the boats and continued their journey up the Nile.  I thought this was part of the fiction of the book.  Then a few years later, I found this picture and it was an 'Oh!' moment.  That's how it could have happened.

https://images.app.goo.gl/DFAtC7jNpfYjDGZV8

Before Ikea, eh?  😉 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Before Ikea, eh?  😉 

8df66a47-6a97-414f-984d-3cd1e5f763cc.jpg