I feel Unusual - WG have done something good again (basic loadout information in team summary screen)

Verblonde

With the usual remarks about usually having plenty to kick WG over, I recently noticed (although it's probably not news to anyone on here) a solid QoL improvement.

If you look at the team summary view (either pre-battle, or in battle - via Tab), it shows you the various ships' armament and consumable options. I have to say this is a solid improvement. Although most old lags will have all this stuff memorised (I have most of it, I think), this should make life rather easier for newer players, which can't be a bad thing.

(I tend to be against 'dumbing down', but I don't think aiding memory counts really.)

• Like 4

Are you feeling alright, mate? WG done something... good?

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Are you feeling alright, mate? WG done something... good?

I know, I know - I think I need a lie-down and a nice cup of tea...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I suppose if I played PvP I would care about it. Going to be a kick in the gonads to players who have ships like Minotaur where you can do a radar or smoke build. Part of the fun is keeping the red team guessing until you "do your thing".   I suppose it will make it easier for carrier players to avoid ships with Def AA or DDs and cruisers to know who has radar or not. 

In my 7 years of playing, have never ever seen anyone mention they would like this as a feature. Just kind of feels unnecessary.  About the best thing I can say about it is "whatever". 

Will the bots in operations see our dirty little secrets too?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Going to be a kick in the gonads to players who have ships like Minotaur where you can do a radar or smoke build.

It doesn't seem to tell you the build the ship has, just what it can have. So, in the case of Mino, you see both smoke and radar as options...

Edit: here's an example:
image.thumb.png.262e21a8b9043f3d978d1388790a326f.png

So, we see that Yugumo can take either smoke or TRB, but not which one it actually has in this case...

Edited by Verblonde
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Although most old lags will have all this stuff memorised

Memorized? All of this? Not me. This feature may be useful to me tho the 30 sec timer isn't that long & looking at this stuff in battle will distract one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

So, we see that Yugumo can take either smoke or TRB, but not which one it actually has in this case...

I would assume that Yugumo is ALWAYS played with TRB... since I do the same. 🙂
But it's me, of course.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silence_CN said:

I would assume that Yugumo is ALWAYS played with TRB... since I do the same. 🙂
But it's me, of course.

That is - of course - the Correct way to play Yugumo; of course, not everyone has a suitable appreciation of the simple necessity of Manly play...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Verblonde said:

It doesn't seem to tell you the build the ship has, just what it can have. So, in the case of Mino, you see both smoke and radar as options…

For enemies, it’s the consumable options and best possible stats for each of the categories. Allies show the actual build and stats.

Still not as good as you could get with the old side panel mods that showed the actual build/stats for enemies too. But it’s much better than what the vanilla client had before that was added. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Heh. In case you didn't already know, those little bastards even know the instant you slap AP into the barrels to fondle their cits. They know EVERYTHING about you, right down to the identity of your waifu sweetheart whose pic is in your wallet.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Heh. In case you didn't already know, those little bastards even know the instant you slap AP into the barrels to fondle their cits. They know EVERYTHING about you, right down to the identity of your waifu sweetheart whose pic is in your wallet.

"I've already checked you out, Commander." 
"You want another physical?  Turn your head and cough."
"Ready for your sponge-bath?"
"Where does it hurt?"

Medic All Quotes - StarCraft Remastered

StarCraft 2 - Medic Quotes

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

For enemies, it’s the consumable options and best possible stats for each of the categories. Allies show the actual build and stats.

Ah, thank you - this makes sense. I was meaning to do a few more tests, as the Yugumo on our side in the game I screen-shot above was showing only smoke, which was puzzling me, as it was Coop (surely everyone takes TRB into Coop?)...

15 hours ago, Verblonde said:

It doesn't seem to tell you the build the ship has, just what it can have. So, in the case of Mino, you see both smoke and radar as options...

Ahh ok, didn't pay that close attention when I saw it in the game. Thanks for the clarification.  I change my opinion to "really don't care" then. 

17 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I also think (correct me if im wrong) the stats the game present like fire range or concealment is the "best case scenario" of the opponent. So, for example this Yugumo in this picture CAN have 5,5 conceal if hes smart and have built for it but the game will never show EXACTLY what stats the enemy has, which I think is very good as well.

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 3

On 3/30/2024 at 9:51 AM, Taylor3006 said:

I suppose if I played PvP I would care about it. Going to be a kick in the gonads to players who have ships like Minotaur where you can do a radar or smoke build. Part of the fun is keeping the red team guessing until you "do your thing".   I suppose it will make it easier for carrier players to avoid ships with Def AA or DDs and cruisers to know who has radar or not. 

In my 7 years of playing, have never ever seen anyone mention they would like this as a feature. Just kind of feels unnecessary.  About the best thing I can say about it is "whatever". 

I think it was a good idea to show your teams loadout, not the enemies. That was bad cause that’s information I don’t think you should know(right off the bat anyway, slightly defeats the idea of scouting).

Like you said, for ships like Neptune and Minotaur this makes their radar a bad idea now. Part of the reason the radar worked was no one would know what you were running until they stumbled across you. The surprise of popping radar gave you a tactical advantage. Now that surprise is gone really and people will be looking for you to pop radar potentially, increasing the danger factor.

3 hours ago, MBT808 said:

Now that surprise is gone really and people will be looking for you to pop radar potentially, increasing the danger factor.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't think this changes much for the obvious 'surprise' ships - for things like the UK CLs where you can take either radar or smoke, I tend to assume radar until I see otherwise. The new addition just gives a reminder of what's possible.

It does make life a bit harder for me and my Orkans: I've lost count of the number of wallies I've sunk because they didn't know (or forgot) that hiding in smoke doesn't work so well against that particular ship...

On 3/30/2024 at 11:51 AM, Taylor3006 said:

5 hours ago, MBT808 said:

I think it was a good idea to show your teams loadout, not the enemies. That was bad cause that’s information I don’t think you should know(right off the bat anyway, slightly defeats the idea of scouting).

Like you said, for ships like Neptune and Minotaur this makes their radar a bad idea now. Part of the reason the radar worked was no one would know what you were running until they stumbled across you. The surprise of popping radar gave you a tactical advantage. Now that surprise is gone really and people will be looking for you to pop radar potentially, increasing the danger factor.

It shows possible builds/configurations. It does not tell if you are running radar or not. Only the consumables that can be in the slot. 

This is what an enemy Baltimore looks like. 

image.png.da523c3cc5e2d97216e51d83ec91c108.png

All the other specifications are likewise a possibilty, and not necessarily the actual numbers for enemy ships. 

• Like 1