No darling, I wasn't telling YOU to shut up

SunkCostFallacy

I recently bought the Shimanto, and I'm quite enjoying it. I had some reserve commanders already, so I didn't buy a new one ... instead I picked Kirishma (Yotaroh) from the unemployed slackers lounging around in the officers club.

I wasn't overly impressed that the little teddy bear speaks Japanese, but I wasn't all that fussed until today when I found myself surrounded by 4 ships all spamming torpedoes and firing at me, at which point she (I'm assuming it's a she) started screaming at me. And kept screaming at me.  

I was so unimpressed that I told her to SHUT UP. Then I had to apologise to my wife, who wasn't even talking at the time, and explain to her that I wasn't talking to her.

For the sake of my marriage ... does anyone know how to change the voice on this commander? I don't particularly want to throw away a 10 point commander, but there's no way I'm gonna listen to someone getting hysterical at me in Japanese every time the action gets good.

I have my voiceover settings set to English and Standard btw.

• Haha 11

Yeah I can't deal with that whiney high pitched weird stuff either

• Like 3

I play WoWS with no sound so I don't hear the horrid Japanese girl voices (the ARP ones, in my case).

1 hour ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

the unemployed slackers lounging around in the officers club.

LOL. I have a dedicated Cpt on all my ships so I don't have many 'slackers' in my officers club (but for a few of 'Ensign' level) 🙂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

I play WoWS with no sound so I don't hear the horrid Japanese girl voices (the ARP ones, in my case).

LOL. I have a dedicated Cpt on all my ships so I don't have many 'slackers' in my officers club (but for a few of 'Ensign' level) 🙂

I'm the same. The only ships I don't have commanders on are the ones I'm never going to play ... my South Carolina and the CVs that got thrown my way via various means.

That having been said ... I keep getting commanders along the way from events and stuff and I just let them hang around until I need one.

I had NO idea what I was letting myself in for with this one though facepalmsmiley.gif.dc696cfbf23e3f4aab9dce896eba2993.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I had NO idea what I was letting myself in for with this one though facepalmsmiley.gif.dc696cfbf23e3f4aab9dce896eba2993.gif

As I recall Kirishima is one of the most...vocal...of the Arpeggio commanders.

Especially if you're ship is on fire...

The only way I know of, apart from mods, is to disable all ARP content.

ShutupKirishima.thumb.jpg.12baa8a1d404093eae01150e11706901.jpg

If you only want to change the one commander you can do this before battle and reverse it afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amaruk said:

There's a reason why Kirishima has been the freebie event gift during every Arpeggio of Blue Steel collaboration rerun.

Besides this particular case the primary intended customers of such voiceover are... younger gamers who are more familiar with the entire anime stuff and may even have particular affection on a few characters and their voice lines.

Sadly for many others all the efforts behind the various voiceover may merely mean "some other unintelligible foreign language". Examples may be Three Kingdoms commander voices of WG and Lesta: while the WG one is authentic and entertaining, the Lesta one is horrible as it seems to be synthesized (rather than provided by voice actors) and, in a humorous manner, just reads standard lines in Chinese language in synthesized voices rather than WG version's modified ones (like the "flying rascal" gag). Then I realize probably not many outside China would realize the difference.

8 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I don't particularly want to throw away a 10 point commander, but there's no way I'm gonna listen to someone getting hysterical at me in Japanese every time the action gets good.

Go into the audio settings and turn the voiceover volume down to zero when you use him.

• Like 1

I think there is a way to dis-connect the special voice to a more standard. I remember starting out enjoying Mighty Jingles Captains soothing voice during game play but after a while when he mis-judged a ship for the 100:th time you start getting a bit annoyed.

Just now, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I think there is a way to dis-connect the special voice to a more standard. I remember starting out enjoying Mighty Jingles Captains soothing voice during game play but after a while when he mis-judged a ship for the 100:th time you start getting a bit annoyed.

Also "Drunk-Irish-Cartoon" Captain can also ba a handful sometimes....

I haven't checked the current audio settings. At least in the past, I think 'National+' was the setting required to hear special voice overs. The plain 'National' didn't let you hear them, I think. The 'English' voice over setting, IMO, determines the game voice over, like what you hear in operations.

4 hours ago, Amaruk said:

The only way I know of, apart from mods, is to disable all ARP content.

ShutupKirishima.thumb.jpg.12baa8a1d404093eae01150e11706901.jpg

If you only want to change the one commander you can do this before battle and reverse it afterwards.

Good point. That resets the captains and voice overs to generic ones for the ones you disable.

4 hours ago, Amaruk said:

Glorious! It works! Let paeans of joy sound in my no-longer tortured ears!

I thank you.

My wife thanks you.

And no doubt the local police would thank you if they knew you'd spared them having attend a domestic because my wife bludgeoned me with a keyboard for shouting at the screen!

• Like 1