The Blind Gunslinger, Willis 'Ching' Lee - you had no idea.

iDuckman

Why, WeeGee?  Why no Ching Lee commander?

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 4

Admiral Willis 'Ching' Lee - The Ultimate Sharpshooter
by Drachinifel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• iDuckman changed the title to The Blind Gunslinger, Willis 'Ching' Lee - you had no idea.
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

More historical commanders seems like such an easy route of content for WG to create. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

More historical commanders seems like such an easy route of content for WG to create. 

Yeah bur they decided the need more weeb and creatorwerse content, they want more children in the game to fleeece them and not grumpy old fart history buffs 😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Yeah bur they decided the need more weeb and creatorwerse content, they want more children in the game to fleeece them and not grumpy old fart history buffs 😆

I consider interests in "weeb" contents and "serious" historical contents can co-exist for a younger gamer and it isn't necessary to declare oneself staunchly against "weeb" stuff to claim oneself as a history buff.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

I consider interests in "weeb" contents and "serious" historical contents can co-exist for a younger gamer and it isn't necessary to declare oneself staunchly against "weeb" stuff to claim oneself as a history buff.

True, but lets be realistic here 99% of people belonging to one of those groups belong ONLY to that group... 😉

Edited by Yedwy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

True, but lets be realistic here 99% of people belonging to one of those groups belong ONLY to that group... 😉

Could I pass for a weeb, or alternatively for a serious historical content person? I could always change my profile pic to this:

image.jpeg.91a6910a670c2ac875bca38ccd7f2646.jpeg

But I've kind of grown rather used to my 'photogenic' profile pic.

image.png.e0de3c5cfa001aead1a4db747c1d6063.png

Who, incidentally, slightly resembles Susumu Fujita who played Rear Admiral Tamon Yamaguchi in Tora! Tora! Tora!.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susumu_Fujita

Here's 'Ching' Lee's Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Augustus_Lee

• Like 4

I had every idea...

Clickbait title. Very naughty.

Plus, low effort of just pasting a link to someone else's work...

Ah, the 1920s, when shooting was still a thing.

1920 Olympics USA #1 41G 27S 27B

2020 Olympics USA #2 3G 2S 1B

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Because the person themselves (if still alive, e.g. Jingles, Leroy Jenkins) or their descendants (if dead) if any can reasonably be found, have to give their okay - and until/unless that happens, it's a no-go.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yedwy said:

I'm a lot more scared in game when I see a prpr name than any of the Retired/Veteran names. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

I'm a lot more scared in game when I see a prpr name than any of the Retired/Veteran names. 

Honestly after 40+ k games neither really worries me all that much, if I am in a potato mode it dodent matter, if I am i na good mood to play I ll meet them toe to toe no problem…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Yedwy said:

That's true enough.  I'll holler, "Weebs out!" while watching The melancholy of haruhi suzumiya.

What, that's not historical?

Spoiler

Btw, "The Blind Gunslinger Ching Lee" is a rip of "The Blind Swordsman Zotoichi".

Now, weebs out!

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I had every idea...

Clickbait title. Very naughty.

Plus, low effort of just pasting a link to someone else's work...

I knew what he was famous for, as I'm sure everyone (well, almost everyone) here did.  What got me, and that I didn't know, was about his battles with BuOrd and the stuff before he ever took over Washington.  Also, the FatElectrician seems to be running a series of sorts on heroes who the armed forces refused to accept due to "bad eyesight".  The list is long.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

heroes who the armed forces refused to accept due to "bad eyesight"

My having to wear glasses was a hassle but it didn't stop me from joining the Army, or anything else that I've done in life. We had a guy in Basic who wore classic "coke bottle" glasses. He shot a perfect score in the rifle qualification. As long as glasses can correct your vision, there's not much you can't do in the Army other than Special Forces or helicopter pilot. You will be issued glasses if you need them. Now, many soldiers get Lasik surgery after they go in too. The military, and the Army especially, is an iceberg, with combat support troops outnumbering combat troops ten to one. This means that there usually is something that's going to be available for anyone who is in halfway decent physical condition.

Here are the current medical standards if you are interested.

https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodi/613003_vol1.PDF?ver=7fhqacc0jGX_R9_1iexudA%3D%3D

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The military, and the Army especially, is an iceberg, with combat support troops outnumbering combat troops ten to one.

If I recall correctly, the "tail" has gotten proportionally bigger over the years as the "teeth" have shrunk in number but increased in firepower-per-grunt. 

I read a lot of World War 1 history, and one of the lessons is that occasionally the combat support troops (even down to the potato peelers) have had to step up and deal with the best that the enemy has to offer.

18 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

there usually is something that's going to be available for anyone who is in halfway decent physical condition.

The flipside is someone like John Kipling (son of Rudyard), who should never have been in the Army in the first place (poor health AND bad eyesight) and certainly not in the front line, but he was desperate to serve and so strings got pulled, favours got called, and off Lieutenant Kipling went, never to return. Of course the other side of that coin is Douglas Bader, who prospered because even with tin legs he could still fly an airplane. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

the other side of that coin is Douglas Bader, who prospered because even with tin legs he could still fly an airplane. 

When I was in the Army, we had a bunch of Israeli's come through our TMC to get their flight physicals because they were in the US training on Cobra gunships. Their colonel, who actively flew helicopters, had only one arm. One of our own own gunship pilots had one leg that was two inches shorter than the other one. He wore special orthopedic boots. The Army apparently considered that just fine and dandy for a helicopter pilot.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Btw, "The Blind Gunslinger Ching Lee" is a rip of "The Blind Swordsman Zotoichi".

Now, weebs out!

Someday, perhaps I'll see the entire series.  🙂 

Zatoichi: the 25 original films + 5 modern takes  https://www.imdb.com/list/ls020993685/
I did rent "Blind Fury" on VHS tape, though.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096945/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Priceless.  🙂 👍

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2024 at 9:02 AM, Unlooky said:

I recognized these patterns years ago. Interesting that someone put some effort into it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

I recognized these patterns years ago. Interesting that someone put some effort into it. 

And now I finally understand what prpr means. For better or worse! 🤣

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Zatoichi: the 25 original films + 5 modern takes  https://www.imdb.com/list/ls020993685/
I did rent "Blind Fury" on VHS tape, though.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096945/

I haven't seen the series, only the 3 or four flicks that were available on Netflix.

But tell me, now that Netflix DVD is dead, how do you propose to view them?

• Like 1

Going from memory as a start; then doing a search for WoWS: Legends commanders. Adm Willis Lee is a commander in the console version of WoWS. Of course, the commander system there is set up rather differently than here on PC.

(Yes, I was in a few of the test weekends, and played Legends for a few months after release on Xbox but let the console version go due to the amount of time that I had already put into the PC version.... and having to share the TV with other family members)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I haven't seen the series, only the 3 or four flicks that were available on Netflix.

But tell me, now that Netflix DVD is dead, how do you propose to view them?

Several of them are availble via Amazon Prime or AppleTV.