It was a very bad night...

SoshiSone

...had to pull out all the stops to get a win.  Bearn and Bismarck to save the day!!!!

NewBitmapImage(3).png.fc2f0e65873fb50662b72248166e3a35.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Wait, the GC game only lasted 5 minutes???

image.png.7093c6d097c6e969e2237e891caa8551.png

So, even you, Soshi, can see utterly questionable MM? 

1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

Not necessarily: m you could bail from the Tiger ‘59 game early, as soon as you’re dead, and hop into the GC, and the battles have significant time overlap.

I once ranked out while losing a battle that way: I was one star from ranking out, and got into battle, hopeful to rank out. Got knocked out really early in a GC (at some torps). I thought “if I jump into another battle right away, it might end before this one, and if it registers first, I’ll still get R1.” So, I took out Nicholas (this was before you could re-use ships & commanders still in battle.) pronto.

Well, it didn’t work out that way. It was a protracted battle, and we lost anyway. But at the result screen, it showed I maintained my previous Rank of 1(!) Well, what happened was my team in the first battle managed to turn things around and win, and I was carried to R1 while fighting the next battle.

4 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Tiger game was 5 minutes.  We got rolled on negative points loss.  I topped out, as if that mattered. LOL.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoshiSone said:

Tiger game was 5 minutes.  We got rolled on negative points loss.  I topped out, as if that mattered. LOL.

Yup, definitely a very bad night

2 hours ago, Aethervox said:

So, even you, Soshi, can see utterly questionable MM? 

Actually, it's just MM doing what MM does.  Not questionable.  Just the realities of a mostly random process operating under certain contraints and biases.  Said contratints and biaes (from my perspective) themselves operating in random fashion.

There are ways to skew MM.  For example, a purple division seal clubbing in low tiers will win a good percentage of the games.  To a lesser extent, any divison of good players in seal territory will skew odds in a win favor.  All the solo players, although operating within the skew metric, are operating within the same random group when it comes to side assignment.

It is what it is and I'm fine with it.  I give it my best realizing some games I just can't make a difference.  But some games I can make the difference.  And that's where it really matters.  Well, it really matters in ALL games.  But "matters' hereis about winning.  When I make the difference and that difference is a win...that's where it's at.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SoshiSone said:

2 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Yup, definitely a very bad night

Ooops...my bad.  That was a different game.  Now I remember I got torp'd DS'd early...as part of a landslide red victory.  I topped out despite getting DS'd early.

And how did I get DS'd.  Funny thing.  I was in my smoke and my "time to get out of smoke" ticker triggers.  So I hit the accelerator and pat myself on the back as I leave my smoke only to see a torp spread enter behind me.  I failed to realize a friendly DD had popped smoke along my escape route, and the DD that torped my smoke saved a spread for that smoke.  So I as patted myself on the back for my successful evasion of the torps running through my smoke I caught the spread aimed at the other smoke screen.

• Like 1

Happy to say I had a reasonably good run, had some close battles.