Update on New Jersey

iDuckman

Update on ballasting New Jersey

lol  "If the aliens attack, the ship can't be fueled with the current state of the lines." [para]

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

@I_cant_Swim_@HogHammeret al.  I'm starting a new thread because the link to the moved article has fallen off the face of the Earth.  If you could pin it in General while this whole drydock process evolves, then people who don't regularly check History Content could keep up.

Besides, this isn't history.  It's happening now.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, iDuckman said:

@I_cant_Swim_@HogHammeret al.  I'm starting a new thread because the link to the moved article has fallen off the face of the Earth.  If you could pin it in General while this whole drydock process evolves, then people who don't regularly check History Content could keep up.

Besides, this isn't history.  It's happening now.

That's kind of complicated, because I've been thinking about this sort of content thinking it should end up in the historical section, even if it's happening today.

55 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

That's kind of complicated, because I've been thinking about this sort of content thinking it should end up in the historical section, even if it's happening today.

Really, this is an excellent question to have.  

(1) When these types of posts are created in the "General" section, they tend to get lost over time due to the overall volume of threads created.

(2) DevStrike currently has two sections devoted to ships: a "Historic Content" section and a "Naval Museums" section that covers all regions.

(3) From a historical perspective, perhaps ships that have no physical presence, "Historical Content" would be the ideal location.  Think Bismarck, for example.

(4) For museum ships, such as the New Jersey, the best location for articles/posts would be in the "Naval Museums" section.

I do imagine there should be a utilization of links between the two sections for reference purposes.

Ideally, so articles/posts and related links don't get lost over time, one of these two sections would be best suited based on whether the ship is physically in a port (museum), lost at the bottom of the sea, or scraped (Historical Content).

This would also get anyone who frequents the forum to explore other sections where there are a growing amount of posts related to a variety of topics.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Really, this is an excellent question to have.  

(1) When these types of posts are created in the "General" section, they tend to get lost over time due to the overall volume of threads created.

(2) DevStrike currently has two sections devoted to ships: a "Historic Content" section and a "Naval Museums" section that covers all regions.

(3) From a historical perspective, perhaps ships that have no physical presence, "Historical Content" would be the ideal location.  Think Bismarck, for example.

(4) For museum ships, such as the New Jersey, the best location for articles/posts would be in the "Naval Museums" section.

I do imagine there should be a utilization of links between the two sections for reference purposes.

Ideally, so articles/posts and related links don't get lost over time, one of these two sections would be best suited based on whether the ship is physically in a port (museum), lost at the bottom of the sea, or scraped (Historical Content).

This would also get anyone who frequents the forum to explore other sections where there are a growing amount of posts related to a variety of topics.

How reliable is the forum search function? In the sense, is it in any way useful for tracking down older content in General chat based on what the topic is? The categorization you propose makes sense, if we make the distinction between their careers as a museum ship vs.  their active service careers and move any posts and threads accordingly.

24 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

How reliable is the forum search function?

Actually, I've found it to be pretty robust.  The search feature has several options you can select to help narrow results.

SearchOptions.thumb.png.8168d876467a8b8165b7c26f2a4ba3ea.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, riddle me this.  There's link in General - everyone's favorite forum - to an article I updated yesterday.  Where is it?  It's gone - scrolled off the page.  My update is not reflected in General; I'd still have to go looking for it.

This is News!  Were I to talk about something that happened last year, then yeah.  But this happened yesterday.  Only people who are already deeply invested get to see it?  Likely they already subscribe to BNJ and don't need my update.  I'm doing this for the people who aren't deeply invested.  They won't be looking in Historical and Museums anyway. though I'm sure that's not what you want to hear.  The casual forum user hits General and *maybe* a specialty forum, and that's it. 

News belongs in General.

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Okay, riddle me this.  There's link in General - everyone's favorite forum - to an article I updated yesterday.  Where is it?  It's gone - scrolled off the page.  My update is not reflected in General; I'd still have to go looking for it.

This is News!  Were I to talk about something that happened last year, then yeah.  But this happened yesterday.  Only people who are already deeply invested get to see it?  Likely they already subscribe to BNJ and don't need my update.  I'm doing this for the people who aren't deeply invested.  They won't be looking in Historical and Museums anyway. though I'm sure that's not what you want to hear.  The casual forum user hits General and *maybe* a specialty forum, and that's it. 

News belongs in General.

Is this the topic you're looking for?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Is this the topic you're looking for?

I'm not looking for it, that's my title.  Slammer's slightly earlier article was rolled into mine (or vice versa) and the result moved elsewhere, with a link here.

My point is that when I updated that article, it floated to the top of its new section but the link here just kept dropping.  There are six -> SIX <- members of the Museums club.  (Y'all join!)  Six users have a chance of seeing that update.  The post here has gotten 138 views.  I'm all for organization, but sometimes it can be counterproductive to the purpose.

'Nuff said.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

New Jersey moving into drydock, live!

Live and aft-forward.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's a better stream from a news helicopter.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1

Man!  Tight quarters.  Those tug drivers are amazing.

15 hours ago, iDuckman said:

News belongs in General.

Things are in a bit of flux here. You have a point, but we also need to 'save' this material from General Chat at some point or it will slide out of view eventually. @HogHammer is managing General chat. We need a solution that gives news worthy posts visibility in the short term, but also 'survivability' in the long term.

EDIT There should always be a link for 30 days when something gets moved.

50 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Things are in a bit of flux here. You have a point, but we also need to 'save' this material from General Chat at some point or it will slide out of view eventually. @HogHammer is managing General chat. We need a solution that gives news worthy posts visibility in the short term, but also 'survivability' in the long term.

I agree.  If there was some way to synch the link to updates of the linked article, then there would be no problem.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

I agree.  If there was some way to synch the link to updates of the linked article, then there would be no problem.

Can you explain what you mean by 'synching'?

6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

5 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

When a post or topic gets moved or merged, does the internet website address change?

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

We need a solution that gives news worthy posts visibility in the short term, but also 'survivability' in the long term.

Saving these posts is really important in the long run to prevent them from getting lost over time in general chat.  

There is no problem with them staying up in the general forum for the first week, but after they drop to the second page of forum topics, they need to be moved and have the 30-day link provided in the post just in case someone in the general chat runs across the topic.  

For example, the videos from Battleship Texas have slowly been driven down (off the first page) in the general chat over time, and many of the videos and posts really need to be preserved.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Except for pins, the topics are arranged in most-recent-activity-first order.  Links never have more recent activity, apparently, so they never rise in the sort order.  Activity in the linked topic is not reflected to the link.  So the link - even to a very active topic - will inevitably fall off the front and then second page, as if the topic were dead.

If the topic activity timestamp could be reflected to the link, then all would be well.

I hesitate to suggest it, but Pin the link while there is activity?

Edited by iDuckman

8 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Except for pins, the topics are arranged in most-recent-activity-first order.  Links never have more recent activity, apparently, so they never rise in the sort order.  Activity in the linked topic is not reflected to the link.  So the link - even to a very active topic - will inevitably fall off the front and then second page, as if the topic were dead.

If the topic activity timestamp could be reflected to the link, then all would be well.

I hesitate to suggest it, but Pin the link while there is activity?

There's a limit to how many pins we can have at the same time, a dozen being pretty much the absolute maximum I think.

Update:  The Black Dragon is home, nestled in the dock where all the Iowas were completed and repaired.  I don't know if pumping operations have started yet.  They will have to close and pump out the dock, settling her on her keel blocks.  Then they will have to pump out the 500,000 gallons of water that she was ballasted with.

• Like 2

Positioning the keel blocks as the dock is drained.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one is a month late, but still interesting.  I'm looking for the first dry images now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...