Next Research Bureau Ship - Ohio?

Jakeshuffle

Meowdy,

I'm not sure what I was thinking with getting the Colbert as my first RB ship but...here I am. Nothing against the ship, I just wasn't ready for it. I'm inching my way to getting Halsey from the campaign I'm eying battleships. At this point, I have enough destroyers and cruisers that I enjoy being sunk on and I'd like to play more battleships.

Is the Ohio still the go-to suggestion for RB ships? I have a personal problem with the maneuverability of the Vermont, is the Ohio noticeably better on that front?

Appreciate the help/feedback 

Edited by Jakeshuffle
Readability
  • Like 2

Have my eye on Ohio as well, so anxious to hear feedback.

52 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I have a personal problem with the maneuverability of the Vermont

Vermont’s turning circle and enhanced acceleration are both excellent compared to other tier X battleships. She’s just slow, which can be largely mitigated by proper positioning.

Regarding Ohio, she handles like a slightly slower Montana (28 vs. 30 knots) with significantly better rudder shift (~4s faster to turn all the way over). Combine that with her better gun handling (30s to rotate her guns 180 degrees) and she feels just fine. I’ve never really felt like her only objectively below average stat (her speed compared to most other tier X BBs) was a significant hindrance.

Some people like to run secondaries on Ohio, but IMO a main battery/survivability build is the way to go. 30mm overmatch, improved dispersion (QE/Warspite/Hood/Vanguard vs “standard” US/UK/German BB) with APRM2, and 40s cooldown heals is a strong package, especially combined with her recent ASW buff to normal tier X ranges. Her range (21.7km) is a bit on the short side, but in my experience the spotter plane gives her enough extra range when needed, and being an American BB you can always mount APRM1 for extra range if desired. It’s unfortunately hard for me to justify playing Montana when Ohio exists.

I don’t have Sicilia, but compared to the other RB battleships (Illinois and Slava) I would recommend most players get Ohio first. While the other ships have interesting gimmicks, Ohio is just very solid in just about any situation.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 4

Ohio was and still is the best RB ship. It was and still is one of the best BB's in game. Unless you never play/hate playing BB's Ohio should be the 1st RB ship anyone gets. JMHO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Ohio was and still is the best RB ship.

I am 100 percent in agreement here. It should be a player's first RB ship. It is just an all-around solid battleship to have in your port.

• Like 3

I got the Illonois as my first Research Bureau points ship.
She's able to fire her guns faster (which comes in handy for certain main-gun hits missions).

I figure the Ohio's guns hit harder, but I wanted to try "something diferent" instead of the "usual" choice of the Ohio.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

I am 100 percent in agreement here. It should be a player's first RB ship. It is just an all-around solid battleship to have in your port.

Also because it has been there a LONG time and you never know if WG will pull it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I got the Illonois as my first Research Bureau points ship.
She's able to fire her guns faster (which comes in handy for certain main-gun hits missions).

I figure the Ohio's guns hit harder, but I wanted to try "something diferent" instead of the "usual" choice of the Ohio.

How do you like her? I'm finding I like playing T9s a lot since it mixes up the matchmaking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakeshuffle said:

How do you like her? I'm finding I like playing T9s a lot since it mixes up the matchmaking.

Overall, I like the Illonois.   🙂 
I've assigned Commander Azur Lane New Jersey as her Captain.  🙂 

My only quibble would be that the cruiser guns seem to be under-performing, for me.  But, they reload fast, which is good for main-gun hit missions with a BB.
In other respects, the Illonois is pretty-much like an Iowa (rudder-shift, turning radius, armor scheme, sec-bat guns and etc.).

I became interested in the Illonois after watching a Yuro youtube video about her.

Decisive American Division〈 with @HarunaKaiNi 〉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Meowdy,

I'm not sure what I was thinking with getting the Colbert as my first RB ship but...here I am. Nothing against the ship, I just wasn't ready for it. I'm inching my way to getting Halsey from the campaign I'm eying battleships. At this point, I have enough destroyers and cruisers that I enjoy being sunk on and I'd like to play more battleships.

Is the Ohio still the go-to suggestion for RB ships? I have a personal problem with the maneuverability of the Vermont, is the Ohio noticeably better on that front?

Appreciate the help/feedback 

Not a huge expert regarding Ohio even tho I bought it, im not playing BBs enough. But the few times I took it out I was very impressed with her performance. Averyone seems to put her as nr.1 RB BB.

I bought Ohio first, then I bought Illinois which is also fun in a different way, then I bought Vampire II and that DD is just freckin Awesome!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update, I got the Ohio and have played it for some Asymm, co-op, and one accidental Random. It doesn't have bells and whistles but it is a lot of fun! I have the range mod and captain skill for secondaries which hit pretty nicely. I feel like I'm doing it in reverse, but it makes me want to play more battleships.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Update, I got the Ohio and have played it for some Asymm, co-op, and one accidental Random. It doesn't have bells and whistles but it is a lot of fun! I have the range mod and captain skill for secondaries which hit pretty nicely. I feel like I'm doing it in reverse, but it makes me want to play more battleships.

Congrats, i got her recently as well and she really is as strong as people suggested she would be, i expected her to be over-hyped to be honest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Congrats, i got her recently as well and she really is as strong as people suggested she would be, i expected her to be over-hyped to be honest.

I had the same thought ha! I can still take some citadel hits if I'm not being careful so she's not unsinkable. Cheers on your Ohio as well and hope I get to sail against you sometime!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I had the same thought ha! I can still take some citadel hits if I'm not being careful so she's not unsinkable. Cheers on your Ohio as well and hope I get to sail against you sometime!

It's not a german battleship, i had to learn that lesson too, but the fast heal is a real lifesaver.

• Haha 1

Ohio was my first RB ship. Havent played it as much since I rarely play BBs but every time I take her out she performs well.

My second ship was Vampire II which is so fun and borderline OP and my last was Illinois which can be fun but mostly gimmicky.

• Like 1

Contrarian opinion incoming : Preussen better. Reason : armor, reload speed, hydro. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Contrarian opinion incoming : Preussen better. Reason : armor, reload speed, hydro. 

Ohio has repair party with improved cooldown time that can be crucial in a brawl. And Ohio's gunnery, despite lower shell velocity and time-on-target time, is much more accurate than Preussen.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Ohio has repair party with improved cooldown time that can be crucial in a brawl. And Ohio's gunnery, despite lower shell velocity and time-on-target time, is much more accurate than Preussen.

I hold the belief that in current random battle meta and aimbug infested game, accuracy doesn't matter as much as velocity & trajectory and reload. Fast heal is a great feature tho. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Preussen's armor is only better if you're showing flat broadside. Her effective survivability is much worse because her front angles are horrid (38) compared to Ohio's all around 30. Her accuracy is significantly worse, which isn't really compensated for by the reload. The heal is objectively worse. Hydro is nice but not enough to compensate for Preussen's shortcomings. 

There's a reason Ohio is part of the restricted ship pool, and Preussen isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/21/2024 at 9:40 AM, Jakeshuffle said:

but it makes me want to play more battleships.

That's because battleships are the shiz nittle bam snip snap snap. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Does the Preussen hit more accurately than the Schlieffen? I only made it to FD Grosse in the Preussen line so far.

3 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Does the Preussen hit more accurately than the Schlieffen? I only made it to FD Grosse in the Preussen line so far.

No, Schlieffen is much more precise because of her Battle Cruiser dispersion, even though she has slightly worth Sigma of 1.7, Preussen has 1.8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unlooky said:

Preussen's armor is only better if you're showing flat broadside. Her effective survivability is much worse because her front angles are horrid (38) compared to Ohio's all around 30. Her accuracy is significantly worse, which isn't really compensated for by the reload. The heal is objectively worse. Hydro is nice but not enough to compensate for Preussen's shortcomings. 

There's a reason Ohio is part of the restricted ship pool, and Preussen isn't. 

1; And when bow on 2; sorta yes but it matters in very specific situations 3; disagree 4; nitpicking says Preussen heals more per heal 5; disagree

I'm not talking about comp in any way. Last I remember it was a Vincent fiesta.

I don’t play a lot of tier 10 games but the Ohio is a good ship. Fun to play hits hard moves well has secondary’s. I think you would like her. I’m  not a good player but almost ever time I take her out it’s a fun game.  

7 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

1; And when bow on 2; sorta yes but it matters in very specific situations 3; disagree 4; nitpicking says Preussen heals more per heal 5; disagree

I'm not talking about comp in any way. Last I remember it was a Vincent fiesta.

Regarding 1/2, nobody sits 0 degrees bow in with either Ohio or Preussen. If you wanted to do that, you would bring Kremlin, which is superior to both in that regard.

Ohio is better at playing bow in and angled because of the forward firing angles. I don't understand how you can claim something as important as firing angles is situational. It's a part of nearly every engagement. The survivability is worse for Preussen regardless because of how massive the superstructure is. 

3 second better reload doesn't make up for a 0.2 sigma difference and the American accuracy mod. That's like having 2 more shells landing per salvo. 

They heal the same proportionally. 

• Like 1