Contemplating my life in Musashi?

SoshiSone

T11 match the other day.  The thought of the mightiest BB the world has ever seen is relegated to bottom tier really hit home.

Then I noticed the two T10 subs.  Oh my.  Subs have given WG the ability to nerf those ships deemed a bit OP.  Musashi, at T9 likely falls into that category.  So...the nerf...5km ASW.  Against T10 subs....might as well not have any ASW. So...not only bottom tier...but nigh defenseless against subs.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You are expecting actual game balancing from WG?

ROFL

• Haha 1

Playing BB's in the current meta is in itself a challenge. I mostly stick to lower tiers with BB's, or operations. If we got the asymmetric battles back, then I'd be doing those as well.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SoshiSone said:

T11 match the other day.  The thought of the mightiest BB the world has ever seen is relegated to bottom tier really hit home.

Then I noticed the two T10 subs.  Oh my.  Subs have given WG the ability to nerf those ships deemed a bit OP.  Musashi, at T9 likely falls into that category.  So...the nerf...5km ASW.  Against T10 subs....might as well not have any ASW. So...not only bottom tier...but nigh defenseless against subs.  

FerretChallengeAccepted_03-23-2022_.thumb.jpg.c9247d25c45bd483608c74db03b033ab.jpg

1.  You have the Musashi in your Port.  I only have the Musashi's camouflages, acquired over the years via collaboration events, in my inventory.
Congratulations on your Musashi.
2.  If you're visually detected by a Submarine (and only a Submarine) that is on the surface or at periscope depth, then the submarine is within range of the Musashi's main-guns (and possibly the secondary guns, too).
3.  BB main-guns are pretty effective when using High-Explosive projectiles on Submarines that are at periscope depth or are surfaced.
4.  In a "knife-fight-in-a-telephone-booth" situation, the Musashi's Depthcharge-airstrikes won't take long to arrive at the designated drop zone.  Long-ranged DC-AS may take longer to arrive on-target.

You're already known to be a smart player.  You got this.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Congratulations on your Musashi.

Isn't the Musashi, still, one of the difficult to obtain now desired ships? Of this considerable list, I have it. I only play it when it randoms up to play in my port.

3 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Isn't the Musashi, still, one of the difficult to obtain now desired ships? Of this considerable list, I have it. I only play it when it randoms up to play in my port.

She's difficult to obtain, yes.
Once upon a time she could be welcomed to one's port in exchange for FreeXP.  But those days are over.
Nowadays, aside from a Lighthouse Auction or some other special event or loot-crate of WG/WOW's choosing, the IX Musashi Doubloons is unobtainable.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Musashi

Musashi was first released for sale worldwide on 17 January 2018 for 750000 free Xp and retired in early 2019. For a brief time she returned in the Lighthouse Auction in June 2022, and again in September 2023.

• Like 3

She is always available in the Santa crates. I got mine in a crate xmas 2019 - where I was a mere minnow with barely 50 ships in my port and only a few were premiums on the ship drop list. Talk about lucky. I did spend around 500 dolarios that xmas. Also got Belfast, Kutuzov and Gremyashi that xmas. 

So while the odds of dropping a rare in the crates is low, it still happens. Of course your odds improve when you have more of the ships on the drop list already.

ps. That xmas 2019 event was very kind to me, my 500 outlay netted 50 ships from the crates as well as many other valuable rewards. Many of those ships were T8's.

Edited by UnderTheRadarAgain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Once upon a time she could be welcomed to one's port in exchange for FreeXP.

Or coal, which is how I got mine.

7 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Or coal, which is how I got mine.

Was Musashi available for coal?

13 hours ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

She is always available in the Santa crates. I got mine in a crate xmas 2019 - where I was a mere minnow with barely 50 ships in my port and only a few were premiums on the ship drop list. Talk about lucky. I did spend around 500 dolarios that xmas. Also got Belfast, Kutuzov and Gremyashi that xmas. 

So while the odds of dropping a rare in the crates is low, it still happens. Of course your odds improve when you have more of the ships on the drop list already.

ps. That xmas 2019 event was very kind to me, my 500 outlay netted 50 ships from the crates as well as many other valuable rewards. Many of those ships were T8's.

Luck had nothing to do with it, I suspect.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

The 5km ASW of the Musashi really hurts. A sub can sneak up to your rear and spot you, and there's little you can do about it especially if your teammates are in front of you moving away from the sub that is pinging you.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

The 5km ASW of the Musashi really hurts. A sub can sneak up to your rear and spot you, and there's little you can do about it especially if your teammates are in front of you moving away from the sub that is pinging you.

ASW works best with teamwork.
(I am aware of the controversy surrounding the concept of teamwork in WOWs.  But, I stand by what I've typed.)

If a Submarine has snuck past your team's figurative picket-line of reconnaisance, then they're probably low on dive capacity (or a huge hole was created in the team's defenses?).

What you can do about it is sink the submarine with ...
~ gun fire
~ depth charges
~ ramming

As for evading the torpedoes, Zig-Zag maneuvers can help, espeically with the "dumb-fired" torpedoes. 
And if you haven't studied the homing-torpedo game mechanics by now, then, seriously, do your homework. 
There's a huge amount of distance around a targeted BB wherein the torpedoes cease homing and swim in a straight line.
Also, submarine torpedoes were recently nerfed to the point of being nearly useless at close ranges. 
So, staying in close proximity to a submarine is actually a viable option.

"The other guy" is trying to sink you.  Just as you're trying to sink them.  Put in some effort.  "Carry harder."   🙂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Was Musashi available for coal?

Of course. One just needs to keep reading until the ship change log on the previously referenced wiki article.

Update 0.7.6:

Available for purchase in the Armory for 176,000 Coal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Put in some effort.

Show me the last time you 'put in some effort' against a submarine while playing the Musashi in solo Random Battle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Frostbow said:

Show me the last time you 'put in some effort' against a submarine while playing the Musashi in solo Random Battle.

LOL.  I have the tech-tree Yamato and the ARP Yamato, which are the closest analogs.

I'm willing to sail my Yamato sisters in the training room while you play any of your submarines, at a time of mutual convenience.  🙂 

11 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Of course. One just needs to keep reading until the ship change log on the previously referenced wiki article.

Update 0.7.6:

Available for purchase in the Armory for 176,000 Coal.

Also  if I'm not correct the naysayers were all saying it wasn't worth the coal or FXP because it was just a not as good clone of the Yamato. 

I've just added you to my in-game cotacts list, @Frostbow, and sent you a port-chat message as notification.  🙂 

1 minute ago, clammboy said:

Also  if I'm not correct the naysayers were all saying it wasn't worth the coal or FXP because it was just a not as good clone of the Yamato. 

The main-gun dispersion sigma was somewhat worse on the Musashi (compared with the Yamato) and the Musashi's AA guns weren't much to write-home about.
But, that AA aspect is somewhat historical in nature anyway.  🙂 
Perhaps there are other nuances, but those are the biggies that I remember off the top of my head.  🙂 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

LOL.  I have the tech-tree Yamato and the ARP Yamato, which are the closest analogs.

I'm willing to sail my Yamato sisters in the training room while you play any of your submarines, at a time of mutual convenience.  🙂 

LOL! That's highly misleading. Yamato has 11.0km ASW range. More than double of Musashi's, which is at 5.0km.

Why don't you play your Musashi, in solo Random Battle, and show us how you would fight against an enemy Tier X submarine? 

• Like 2
  • Bored 1

35 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The main-gun dispersion sigma was somewhat worse on the Musashi (compared with the Yamato) and the Musashi's AA guns weren't much to write-home about.
But, that AA aspect is somewhat historical in nature anyway.  🙂 
Perhaps there are other nuances, but those are the biggies that I remember off the top of my head.  🙂 

I think I got the Musashi for 750k FXP just before she left. I guess people didn't realize she would be so strong especially when in tier 7 and 8 games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clammboy said:

Yeah, I found that take incredibly amusing at the time. Musashi had “average” 1.8 sigma to Yamato’s 2.1 (and no access to the UU), even slower turret traverse, and terrible AA (although this was an accompanied by an improved version of the fighter consumable), but still had Yamato HP (actually slightly more, IIRC) and 32mm overmatch. That logic would make sense if she was a tier X, but she’s a tier IX, and compared to other ships at the tier she was incredibly strong, especially since pre-rework CVs were uncommon in her MM spread.

Edited by Nevermore135

Aren't the guns tier X guns?

11 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Aren't the guns tier X guns?

Yes. Musashi is a weaker T10 at T9. None of the nerfs ever made it T9.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frostbow said:

LOL! That's highly misleading. Yamato has 11.0km ASW range. More than double of Musashi's, which is at 5.0km.

Why don't you play your Musashi, in solo Random Battle, and show us how you would fight against an enemy Tier X submarine? 

Because, as I mentioned earlier, I don't have the Musashi in my port.
Though other ships offer still offer short-ranged Depthcharge-airstrikes, right?

Also, "solo" implies that I'm alone with no other team-mates.  Or were you merely trying to say that I play my ship(s) while not in a division and as part of a team in a normal random battle with 12 players per team?
Sometimes things get lost in translation around here?

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

6 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Luck had nothing to do with it, I suspect.

Luck had everything to do with it. I said I had fewer than 50 ships in port. Most of those were tech tree. And I had ground those without premium time.
I bought 20 Mega santa crates and got 8 ships (3 were T8). So I bought another 20 mega crates and got Musashi along with 6 more ships in that set. LUCKY. So I bought another 20, and got even more ships. Repeat until I had depleted my budget for hobbies (AU$500). 

It was 100% pure luck. It took 3 more xmas events to complete my collection of rare ships (the original rare ones - Enterprise was the last of them).

• Like 1