What do you think of this idea?

AdmiralThunder

Disclaimer - WG will never do this. I know that. It's just something to discuss hypothetically.

I have always disliked how WG gates non tech tree resource ships behind different in game currencies/resources. To "ME" it's a bad idea and keeps some people from having access to them as they either A) - won't/can't/don't want to play special modes (like Ranked and Clan Battles) that give Steel, B) - they have no interest in regrinding ship lines for RB pts, or C) - they just don't play enough to gather all of these things (even Coal) in sufficient quantities for a ship. I know WG does it to "encourage" (really, it's done to manipulate and force) people to play where they want them to. But, for a lot of players they just won't or can't for whatever reason and thus they miss out on a lot of ships.

I always thought WG went too far and added too many of these special resources first off. The game was so much better off when it was simpler with just Credits, Doubloons, and FXP IMHO. But, we are so far down that "resource tunnel" now there is no going back really. So, a way I have always thought would be fair, let all the resources we have now stay as the rewards for the various activities and other ways they are acquired, but would let a player get a ship via the resource they are actually able to gather would be to allow these resource ships to be purchased by the resource of the player's choice (adjusted to account for difficulty in obtaining them).

So, let's use the new T10 Italian Special Premium/Ship BB Sicilia as the example. WG released it for RB pts. I know quite a few players who want the ship but will not regrind lines already done and they don't have enough FXP on hand to use that to do enough line resets for the needed RB pts. They actually have tons of Steel and Coal on hand, and they have all those ships they want, so they have no use for those resources right now.  I myself have a lot of idle Steel and Coal and usually nothing to use it on (have every Coal ship and all the Steel ones I want). I actually got Kitakami for Coal (1.5 Million) and had 300K left over (already back to almost 800K). So, I get their frustration. Also, WG can only release so many ships in a given period and they can only do so many for the various resources as well. 

So, why not allow these ships to be purchased with any of the 4 major resources and just adjust the price to fit the resource used? This ensures that everyone who earns the ship has done so equally because the cost of the ship represents the difficulty in obtaining enough of the resource. It also lets players focus on the areas of the game they enjoy playing to gather these resources vs having to play modes or do things (like RB line resets) they dislike. Everyone wins. The players are happy and more engaged, so they play more. WG is happy (should be anyway) that there are players playing the game a lot plus happy players spend more money which is good for them.

In a game that is all about the ships it just seems to me that gating so many of said ships behind special resources and game modes that not everyone can gather in sufficient amounts and/or is interested in is very short sighted by WG. Make the ships ALL available by some means that every player can do. JMHO but I think my solution is a good one. It also leaves other uses for these resources like special upgrades (RB pts), cosmetics (Steel), economic boosts/crates/signals/etc (Coal), and the usual FXP uses. The resources can all be kept and serve a purpose beyond ship purchases while still being used for ships (not just a small # of them per resource).

So when you go to the armory to get a resources ship they would all be under the ship tab. You pick the ship you want and on the purchase screen you have the option to select the resource you want to use like shown below. It could be taken further to be like the Salvage event where you can use some of each resource too vs just making it a set price for each resource.  I don't think WG would go that far as it would be a lot more work on their end but letting players pick the resource to use and having a set price wouldn't be that hard. 

What do you think? Good idea, bad idea, or bacon...

spacer.png

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So, why not allow these ships to be purchased with any of the 4 major resources and just adjust the price to fit the resource used?

Count me in. In the case you use, I'd even be open to a "somewhat" less favorable exchange rate.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Right now I have 44 ships. 14 premium and 4 tt with a permanent booster [after playing on and off for over a year.]

I cannot imagine the guys that have hundreds, or 5oo or 6oo ships in port; decide what to play on a given day. It seems like its own 6th circle of hell.

Just this past Friday I finally welcomed USS Black to port. I haven't been in any randoms with her yet because I am still working on mid-tier randoms and getting my wr to a better place in the 5o% range. So I am very happy to have this ship. I've scoured the coal ship listing and there is not a real pull for me to save for another one right away. 

Resources are okay but not in abundance obviously on my account. I do not see RB or steel ships that interest me. I have 4 tier 1o so cannot regrind yet anyway.

The crux is you can only play one ship at a time. This is part of the reason I am not too interested in collecting ships. I do not feel slighted by the economy as it stands.

But in the event coal interested me in a couple months, there will be another coupon at my disposal.

So I don't think you have a bad idea here, I just think it might be more important for veteran players.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

Count me in. In the case you use, I'd even be open to a "somewhat" less favorable exchange rate.  

I pretty much just photo shopped what I could. That is Sicilia's actual RB cost. The 32K Steel is Shikishima's (another T10 BB). I went with the 10:1 exchange rate of Steel for Coal and used the 32K rate to figure it (so 320K). The FXP is actually less than it takes to get 60K RB pts (using the Harugumo line @ approx 675K p/ reset to get 10.2K RB pts each you need 5.88 resets so 3.969 Million - most expensive FXP ship ever has been 2 Million so I just went 3 Million as it was easier to cheat and photo shop LOL).  

I mean WG could adjust the prices however they wished. I just sort of went with known exchange rates and same tier costs to get a rough shot of what it could look like.

9 minutes ago, thornzero said:

So I don't think you have a bad idea here, I just think it might be more important for veteran players.

That is the beauty of my proposal though. It would benefit everyone; even a player such as yourself who has a limited port and doesn't play a ton. The example ship, T10 ITL BB Sicilia, is only available via the RB. That eliminates anyone, even veteran players, who don't have at least 5 T10's unlocked. In my proposal, given enough time, any player could get the ship via Steel, Coal, or FXP as well. As said, WG could even go further and make it like the Salvage events where you could use various amounts of the resources combined to do it making it even easier for players (doubtful they do my main idea let alone take it this far but...). But if these ships could be had for any of the 4 resources it would give players more options and ways to get them. Mode of play would no longer matter, no resetting lines (unless you want to of course), and it would just take time to gather the amount needed of one of the resources. 

• Like 4

WG use this ships as a "carrot" to make you do things you normally don't want like reset trees or play certain modes.

WG business model create problems like making low and mid tiers a ghost towns due to the system pushing player up the tiers or making competitive play dull so they create this carrots to solve the problem their own business model created 🙄

if WG manage to find a way to monetize low/mid tiers as well as a way to make competitive gameplay more attractive they will be more likely to end this resource madness.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

WG use this ships as a "carrot" to make you do things you normally don't want like reset trees or play certain modes.

WG business model create problems like making low and mid tiers a ghost towns due to the system pushing player up the tiers or making competitive play dull so they create this carrots to solve the problem their own business model created 🙄

if WG manage to find a way to monetize low/mid tiers as well as a way to make competitive gameplay more attractive they will be more likely to end this resource madness.

If that's the carrot, what's the stick?

It's a great idea.

WG goes way too hard on the stick aspect of their forcing...and that drives players away from the game entirely.

My bet is that WG would make more money with the type of monetization you propose...but they refuse to think that far out of their current box of understanding.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

"... with any of the 4 major resources and just adjust the price to fit the resource used?  ..."

Wasn't this recently done with the Kitakami?
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/salvage-for-victory-1211-kitakami/

I'm neutral on the idea.  I don't oppose it. 
Also, I've just pointed-out that it's already been done.  And if we include the Lighthouse Auctions, it's been done several times, already.

::: Pointing to the Illonois already in my Port :::  I welcomed the Illonois to my Port by accumulating Research Bureau Points in small amounts, over the years, without resetting any of my tech-tree ship lines.
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Illinois

Basically, the path, however arduous it may be, already exists for players to pursue Research Bureau ships.

The limiting factor, as you yourself pointed out @AdmiralThunder, is WG/WOWs' willingness to introduce ships for resources instead of doubloons/cash.

• Like 1

John Wayne would have preferred the carrot too. Well, a drink and a carrot.

I think OP's idea is great, but I'm not WG. I am not sure any decision they make in terms of game economy is not calculated for effect. Otherwise, I would prefer multiple options like that.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, thornzero said:

Right now I have 44 ships. 14 premium and 4 tt with a permanent booster [after playing on and off for over a year.]

I cannot imagine the guys that have hundreds, or 5oo or 6oo ships in port; decide what to play on a given day. It seems like its own 6th circle of hell.

Just this past Friday I finally welcomed USS Black to port. I haven't been in any randoms with her yet because I am still working on mid-tier randoms and getting my wr to a better place in the 5o% range. So I am very happy to have this ship. I've scoured the coal ship listing and there is not a real pull for me to save for another one right away. 

Resources are okay but not in abundance obviously on my account. I do not see RB or steel ships that interest me. I have 4 tier 1o so cannot regrind yet anyway.

The crux is you can only play one ship at a time. This is part of the reason I am not too interested in collecting ships. I do not feel slighted by the economy as it stands.

But in the event coal interested me in a couple months, there will be another coupon at my disposal.

Congratulations on your new IX Black Doubloons🙂 

As merely one member of the "Collector's Club", I tend to choose a ship according to the mission tasks I'm working on and/or the battle mode I'm planning to sail into.
But, I'm only speaking for myself.
Other times I'll deliberately choose to play low tier ships in order to earn stars in the Naval Battles grid categories, simply to give them some "play time".
It doesn't hurt when ships are fun to play, though, regardless of their tier.  🙂 

At certain times of the year, every ship in a player's Port is a valuable source of "snowflake" rewards. 
So I may simply play them all, each taking a turn.

As the size of a player's Fleet grows, they can select "the right tool for the job" for the fulfillment of various mission tasks.
Eventually, they may have several viable options. 
Example:  Setting fires missions combined with score main-gun hits missions may lead me to select the Atlanta, the Chumphon and the Tokachi and the Illonois (if the mission is restricted to BB's).  Each ship played in-turn and offering a fast reload and a reasonable chance of starting fires for their type of ship.
Prior to the Illonois being in my Port, I may have selected the Scharnhorst for the BB main-gun hits missions, because of her 20 second reload time (compared with 30 second reload times typical of most other BB's).

• Like 2

This seems like a logical extension of the "Salvage for Victory" event a while back, where you could use a variety of resources to cobble together the final price for ships (e.g. the Kitakami.)

👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Disclaimer - WG will never do this. I know that. It's just something to discuss hypothetically.

To "ME" it's a bad idea and keeps some people from having access to them as they either A) - won't/can't/don't want to play special modes (like Ranked and Clan Battles) that give Steel, B) - they have no interest in regrinding ship lines for RB pts, or C) - they just don't play enough to gather all of these things (even Coal) in sufficient quantities for a ship. I know WG does it to "encourage" (really, it's done to manipulate and force) people to play where they want them to. But, for a lot of players they just won't or can't for whatever reason and thus they miss out on a lot of ships.

I agree, it really seems illogical that our host wants us to "burn" stored currencies, and then, eliminates the process of combining/using all of them, in combinations to "buy something new..."  Anything new...

New players simply get hosed till they accumulate enough "stuff" to use the "combined currencies" purchasing tool.  It's really a lose-lose for our host.

Of course, we are assuming our host has the staff to "take idea's",  such as yours above, and "do something with it...."  I really don't think they have a large enough "corporate footprint" to "Innovate" anything on the business or process sides....  Unlike games like LoL, whom have a dedicated, serious "change process", our host seems to be "making it up" as they go with a very small foot print.

If they used your concept or the Kitakami process, it would be a win-win........and, might actually make some "happy..."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

This, and that’s also a reason I don’t see something like Bourgogne/Stalingrad/Ohio getting pulled any time soon (even though they’d be some of my top contenders). Having popular ships like that available is a big incentive to get the “casual” players to play ranked/CB and reset lines.

If they get pulled, there will be other ships replacing them as popular recommendations. But as long as they’re here, WG has some significant comp and resetting line carrots. 

The only resource I've just flat out given up on is steel. I think I worked out last snowflake season that, if I'd saved up every bit of steel I got from any source in the entire time I'd been playing up until that point, I'd have been able to buy a grand total of one steel ship... and the only one I actually wanted (Somers) got yoinked not long after I started playing, long before I'd have had a shot at her anyway (well... I wanted Flint and Black, too, but they came back for coal). I have no intention of ever playing ranked, so... screw it, it's extra coal, and it gets me the remaining coal ships I want faster. If something else must-have comes out for steel... oh well, play the tiny violin for me, it'd be my own fault I missed out.

I agree that the game has too many resources. Flipping the remaining FXP ships over to the armory for coal was a small step in the right direction.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Asym said:

I agree, it really seems illogical that our host wants us to "burn" stored currencies, and then, eliminates the process of combining/using all of them, in combinations to "buy something new..."  Anything new...

New players simply get hosed till they accumulate enough "stuff" to use the "combined currencies" purchasing tool.  It's really a lose-lose for our host.

Of course, we are assuming our host has the staff to "take idea's",  such as yours above, and "do something with it...."  I really don't think they have a large enough "corporate footprint" to "Innovate" anything on the business or process sides....  Unlike games like LoL, whom have a dedicated, serious "change process", our host seems to be "making it up" as they go with a very small foot print.

If they used your concept or the Kitakami process, it would be a win-win........and, might actually make some "happy..."

There is a very real 'never take ideas from the customer' culture at work at WG.

The big issue with the Yukon was that someone collaborated with LWM and others...and it seems someone higher up realized this and quashed the project because that isn't how senior leaders want things done.

I once posted a proposal for Russian CVs many years ago that featured slow planes, high hp, with wide rocket spread attacks...wide torpedo attacks with more torpedoes, and level HE bombers. Sound familiar? That's right...it was used as the source of ideas for the FDR.

However, before that happened, WG deleted my thread in the forums proposing the idea.

They also made the planes much higher hp than I proposed and added in the absurdly long attack delay...

But the point remains...they were so afraid that someone might make the connection between a customer proposal and something they launched that they PREEMPTIVELY SCRUBBED ideas from their own forum ship suggestions area...despite the fact that this is exactly why they had that section of the forums in the first place.

Just amazingly stupid leadership behavior.  But, at this point, that's who and what WG is...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

There is a very real 'never take ideas from the customer' culture at work at WG.

The big issue with the Yukon was that someone collaborated with LWM and others...and it seems someone higher up realized this and quashed the project because that isn't how senior leaders want things done.

I once posted a proposal for Russian CVs many years ago that featured slow planes, high hp, with wide rocket spread attacks...wide torpedo attacks with more torpedoes, and level HE bombers. Sound familiar? That's right...it was used as the source of ideas for the FDR.

However, before that happened, WG deleted my thread in the forums proposing the idea.

They also made the planes much higher hp than I proposed and added in the absurdly long attack delay...

But the point remains...they were so afraid that someone might make the connection between a customer proposal and something they launched that they PREEMPTIVELY SCRUBBED ideas from their own forum ship suggestions area...despite the fact that this is exactly why they had that section of the forums in the first place.

Just amazingly stupid leadership behavior.  But, at this point, that's who and what WG is...

7lj5bd.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=93f138c23540f5

7 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

spacer.png

I think the only way I could support this idea is if the cost for other resources was so inflated that purchasing it with the intended resource makes the most sense for all but the biggest whales. I actually like the current system because I don't have to choose between one ship out of all the current resources. For example, I was able to purchase Colbert and Lauria within a relatively short window because they cost different resources. I didn't have to choose over one or the other. Since coal is easy, albeit tedious to get, I'm most worried about the cost there. 

Freexp also is no longer a method of purchasing ships, and pretty much has been completely replaced by the Research Bureau since they are effectively the same resource. 

Regardless, its an interesting idea. 

1 hour ago, Unlooky said:

I didn't have to choose

This is your gripe?  So expanding the abiliy to purchase ships for all players with multiple resources, with zero skin off your back, but you would have to "choose"? So, having a choice is a bad thing?  Clearly, I am missing the point of your post.

1 hour ago, Unlooky said:

I think the only way I could support this idea is if the cost for other resources was so inflated that purchasing it with the intended resource makes the most sense for all but the biggest whales. I actually like the current system because I don't have to choose between one ship out of all the current resources. For example, I was able to purchase Colbert and Lauria within a relatively short window because they cost different resources. I didn't have to choose over one or the other. Since coal is easy, albeit tedious to get, I'm most worried about the cost there. 

Freexp also is no longer a method of purchasing ships, and pretty much has been completely replaced by the Research Bureau since they are effectively the same resource. 

Regardless, its an interesting idea. 

You would still collect all the various resources like we always have you just have the option to pick which one you use to get the ships vs it being predetermined. It's more choice/option for the player not less or anything like that.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I think its a good idea. But, tbh.....I don't think that the current system is unfair. You want something, you "work" for it. The multitude of tokens  on the other hand..... sometimes we have 3 or even 4 of 'em....

19 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I myself have a lot of idle Steel

Steel can buy T10 bonuses as well.

19 hours ago, HogHammer said:

I'd even be open to a "somewhat" less favorable exchange rate.

53EB5C0D-3B99-4A7E-8E10-0AD06C0F515D.gifCareful what you wish for...  juust sayin.... Smile_coin.gif.4108231dd8f1e8ec6de0cb87b

19 hours ago, thornzero said:

Oh.... @Aethervox  uses RNGesysus for dat....

19 hours ago, thornzero said:

It seems like its own 6th circle of hell.

15 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

. @Aethervox  uses RNGesysus for dat....

Huh? Hundreds of ships in port? Not me. Sixth circle of Hell & RNGesysus? Well, you got that somewhat right - that's my opinion of WG RNGjesus aka the WG Devil.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Huh? Hundreds of ships in port? Not me. Sixth circle of Hell & RNGesysus? Well, you got that somewhat right - that's my opinion of WG RNGjesus aka the WG Devil.

But you do use random ship selection right? 🙂 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Andrewbassg said:

But you do use random ship selection right? 🙂 

Yes. I mostly random the ship I play (T1 - T10) from a dozen ship lists I have (mostly specific lists for Cpt exp grinds) & I mostly play random battles 😁.

I, also, somewhat random the ships I use for NBs. For all this I use d100, d12, d20, d10, d6, etc as required. With clones, I have approx 120 - 130 ships.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

the forum created more problems for our host than solutions that would have worked.  Cost closed the old forum:  cost to maintain it and cost in staff.  The side benefit without it, and if they completely deleted the data: discovery is the operative word.

WoWs lost the "who gets the biggest slice of pie" after their divorce.   And, even if the thousands of suggestions were saved and worked on as projects, they simply don't have the money nor, the staff I suspect....  Really good ideas generate revenue:  and, since we haven't seen any of them.............takes revenue to generate revenue.

14 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

Yes. I mostly random the ship I play (T1 - T10) from a dozen ship lists I have (mostly specific lists for Cpt exp grinds) & I mostly play random battles 😁.

I, also, somewhat random the ships I use for NBs. For all this I use d100, d12, d20, d10, d6, etc as required. With clones, I have approx 120 - 130 ships.

Do you have a way to interact with ship carousel?  You mention that you use lists.