Range Or Speed For Yugumo Torpedoes

tm63au

Greetings and Salutations fellow gamer's

I have been grinding my IJN Yugumo slowly in Coop, my time in random seems to be less and less these days however I have reached a point where I can upgrade to the first level set of torpedo tubes.

Looking over both sets some time back I was in a preponderance at whether I should grind through for both sets at the time I couldn't get the first but I was struggling to decide which set to get.

shot-24_03.24_22_07.47-0119.thumb.jpg.810a7581b05e302137a3f0f1355eceb4.jpg   

Type F3  reduces range more speed but less damage, it also increases reload time.  

shot-24_03.24_22_07.50-0128.thumb.jpg.d2b2e1cc60438083262da469407ae5b6.jpg

Type 93 Mod3

Has slower reload more damage and more but also slower speed.

Anyone got IJN Yugumo what torpedo suite are they using or which do they feel is the best.

I could just get the first set and leave it at that, speed is good, but I would like to get a take by others that are in the know.

I am comfortable playing IJN and KMS Destroyers in random so there will come a time I will venture into the great unknown.

Apart from a few exceptions in other nations I solely play them in Coop.

Anyway your thoughts and views would be grateful also when you do see in random in IJN Yugumo show mercy to this potato and sink me last 😂

regards      

If you want to go for WR you need to contest caps vs other DDs and you ll take the fast 8km ones, if you want to farm damagee you go for cruisaers and bbs and you will take the 12km ones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tm63au said:

I have been grinding my IJN Yugumo slowly in Coop, my time in random seems to be less and less these days however I have reached a point where I can upgrade to the first level set of torpedo tubes.

Looking over both sets some time back I was in a preponderance at whether I should grind through for both sets at the time I couldn't get the first but I was struggling to decide which set to get.

shot-24_03.24_22_07.47-0119.thumb.jpg.810a7581b05e302137a3f0f1355eceb4.jpg   

Type F3  reduces range more speed but less damage, it also increases reload time.  

shot-24_03.24_22_07.50-0128.thumb.jpg.d2b2e1cc60438083262da469407ae5b6.jpg

Type 93 Mod3

Has slower reload more damage and more but also slower speed.

Anyone got IJN Yugumo what torpedo suite are they using or which do they feel is the best.

I could just get the first set and leave it at that, speed is good, but I would like to get a take by others that are in the know.

I am comfortable playing IJN and KMS Destroyers in random so there will come a time I will venture into the great unknown.

Apart from a few exceptions in other nations I solely play them in Coop.

Anyway your thoughts and views would be grateful also when you do see in random in IJN Yugumo show mercy to this potato and sink me last 😂

regards      

Personally, I use the 12 km torpedoes.
The proliferation of radar and hydro-acoustic-search equipped ships adds extra challenges for a DD trying to be a stealthy torpedo boat.
So, I feel the extra range allows me to be more flexible.

For Co-op, and possibly Asymmetric Battle playing modes, the 8 km torpedoes may offer greater potential for fun shenanigans.

• Like 2

I use the 12 km ones exclusively.  I prefer being able to reach targets at range and the environment of facing T10 and Supership means getting close is not going to be as possible as in earlier tiers.  The increase in speed isn't as important to me as I can usually compensate for that, and it means more time to reload before the enemy is aware they are under attack.  There's little more disheartening than to see torpedoes about to hit only to fizzle out because the target passed their maximum range.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jakob Knight said:

…There's little more disheartening than to see torpedoes about to hit only to fizzle out because the target passed their maximum range.

I don’t know…watching a teammate launch 6km torps from a PE when the minimap proves the nearest target is 15 km away and driving further away, is pretty disheartening.

I had that happen in Ranked last week. Then the guy radioed me, asking for my support.

As I sailed my Kidd away to go do something else, I just told him in chat: “If you’re going to fire 6km torps at targets 15km away, I can’t help you.”

Edited by Utt_Bugglier
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

For co-op go for speed.  Bot ships had supernatural avoidance programming, so you want to minimize their reaction time.  So getting in close is the way to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tm63au said:

I have been grinding my IJN Yugumo slowly in Coop, my time in random seems to be less and less these days however I have reached a point where I can upgrade to the first level set of torpedo tubes….

I would suggest that, at 11,129,367 FXP, you reached that point a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a coop main so I opted for the faster but shorter ranged torpedo's on the Yugumo 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

I would suggest that, at 11,129,367 FXP, you reached that point a few years ago.

Indeed.

Why would you play stock anything ever again?

• Like 2

I use the 12k torps on my Yugumo (Randoms).  It feels much better to have that extra reach with so many radars around.

• Like 1

Hi!

You can keep all the modules you've searched for, so you can swap them for free depending on the kind of battle you want to play.

Edited by Latouche_Treville
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Latouche_Treville said:

Hi!

You can keep all the modules you've searched for, so you can swap them for free depending on the kind of battle you want to play.

True but IMHO it doesnt pay off, if one wants the DD vs DD build its one set of cap skills and modules and if one wants the farming build its another, Yugu kinda suffers if one uses the wrong or “generalistic” build on her and she isnt that strong a DD nowadys anyway so you really want the boons…

• Like 1

You're right, but in tm63au's very case,it seems he have well enough XP to train several captains fo one ship.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yedwy said:

If you want to go for WR you need to contest caps vs other DDs and you ll take the fast 8km ones, if you want to farm damagee you go for cruisaers and bbs and you will take the 12km ones

This!

I have very little experience playing in Coop, except for grinding 15 second games in Kleber during events with X number of kills, torps hits missions. But playing exclusively Randoms I would say the 12 km ones are best. The 8 km ones which are the same for Shimakaze is usually referred to as the "Suicide torps", fun A-F the games you can get them to work but mostly you will get detected by things and die.

I pretty much mainlined TRP Yugumo back in the day, it is an amazing ship!

Spoiler

On 3/24/2024 at 7:30 AM, tm63au said:

which set to get.

IMO: if you're fighting real people, take the 12 km option; if you're fighting bots take the 8 km ones.

FWIW for pretty much any IJN DD where this kind of choice happens, I research/buy both and mount whichever one is suitable for the mode I'm playing.

• Like 1