Automobile discussion thread

New_Jersey_prpr

I used to open the same thread in Asia forum, since the old forum is down it's time to open a new one.

Anything with wheels is welcomed.

R-C.04d54ef3d07fce08b9d11190a234aa4c?rik=LfIF9XkJfcFCOA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.zero2turbo.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2017%2f11%2fchevrolet-corvette-zr1-2018.jpg&ehk=5MmSe3qtnLHiAEZNokJ%2bCpHS1fH6UEC559KfBvDbZvs%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Pre order of Ford Bronco has started in China, the price is 300k~450k CNY (approx. 41500~62250 USD). The price could change (probably cheaper) when pre-order ends.

According to a Ford manager the CN-spec Bronco still uses some imported parts despite it's built in China. From what I know Ford can produce 2.3 liter turbo engine in China but the 10 speed gearbox used on Bronco (and CN-spec Explorer that are also built in China) are imported from US.

Versions with built-in offroad kits are also offered (in limited quantities)

Its main competitor, the CN-spec Jeep Wrangler (imported from North America), is much more expensive than Bronco (Wrangler's MSRP in China: approx. 69200~80200 USD. PHEV version is more expensive)

image.png.ef5a86c1c32f415ccfa591cfeb1b4b23.png

image.thumb.png.b8ba58ed48a6e1bd4c4ed0a8a5d9333a.png

Edited by New_Jersey_prpr
  • Like 2

Nice looking this Bronco.

When I was growing up, I really wanted a Jeep because they seemed to fit my lifestyle and looked cool. However, by the time I could afford a Jeep, Toyota Tacomas were hand's down the better and more capable vehicles. I recall that one issue of Consumer Reports rated the Toyota Tacoma a 95/100, at the same time it rated the Jeep Wrangler a 5/100. I've had a truck identical to this one for eighteen years and it hasn't yet needed a single repair.

P1020376.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My old 2006 Ford PU was worn out and died. I am looking at this line of vehicle. I am hoping these ones don't get bought out from under me on Carvana. So far not lucky.

2017 Forrester.jpg

• Like 3

I always liked the American Jeep looks, like Wrangler and Cherokee. Then, of course, I would have wanted to have one of those 60s/70s Toyota Land cruisers, not that I had actually needed one, but the concept is cool. Later on, I would have wanted to own a Suzuki, especially the model known as 'Samurai'. Never happened, though. The only things I've driven are boring family saloons (sedans for you in the US, in case the concept of a 'saloon car' sounds funny to you). I got no wheels any more, so I don't actually drive these days.

1 hour ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

My old 2006 Ford PU was worn out and died. I am looking at this line of vehicle. I am hoping these ones don't get bought out from under me on Carvana. So far not lucky.

2017 Forrester.jpg

They're decent.
Like all Subarus with 4-wheel-drive, if you get a tire puncture that cannot be repaired, then you'll have to replace all 4 tires.  
(Because the AWD system has no tolerance for tires of different diameters.  And a replacement tire will be a larger diameter than the 3 other worn tires.)

Consider the Hyundai Tuscon or something else with 2-wheel-drive and a decent set of Snow Tires for winter use?

33 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I always liked the American Jeep looks, like Wrangler and Cherokee. Then, of course, I would have wanted to have one of those 60s/70s Toyota Land cruisers, not that I had actually needed one, but the concept is cool. Later on, I would have wanted to own a Suzuki, especially the model known as 'Samurai'. Never happened, though. The only things I've driven are boring family saloons (sedans for you in the US, in case the concept of a 'saloon car' sounds funny to you). I got no wheels any more, so I don't actually drive these days.

Heh.  That reminds me of the scenes when vehicles are used to capture animals in the movie Hatari.  🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

My old 2006 Ford PU was worn out and died.

So let me guess......5.4 liter 3 valve engine?

9 hours ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

So let me guess......5.4 liter 3 valve engine?

Yep, the engine is fine. It was the automatic transmission that went out. Park works, Reverse goes forward in drive. Neutral goes into drive. Drive goes forward until you stop or turn a corner then it takes 3k revs before the transmission engages. 2 gear goes into drive, and so does the 1 gear. However all that does not matter since I have sold it off.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

They're decent.
Like all Subarus with 4-wheel-drive, if you get a tire puncture that cannot be repaired, then you'll have to replace all 4 tires.  
(Because the AWD system has no tolerance for tires of different diameters.  And a replacement tire will be a larger diameter than the 3 other worn tires.)

Consider the Hyundai Tuscon or something else with 2-wheel-drive and a decent set of Snow Tires for winter use?

Well the car I am eyeing is a 2021 premium model with 14k miles on it. I don't think the tires will be a problem yet.

• Like 1

Christ man I though this was a car thread... Instead its a wishful thinking thread with cars in the 2000s and up...

I think, 1990 cars need some love too.. Therefor, to the surprise of no one.. I still drive/own  a 1991 (5 gen) Toyota Celica with a Manual 5 speed gearbox

Here's a pic for those who dont have the slightest idea of the Mastery in Japanese Automaking..

my-new-toyota-celica-5th-gen-v0-qyre5vef4l9b1.thumb.webp.b4bd8d616831c630e00e8bf731f7fb9c.webp car

Now, this is not the "actual" pic of my car but its can pass for its twin. Some paint color but with tinted back seat windows.

I owe my life to this car... I had her for 20 long years..Only left me on the side of the road three times.

That's less then how many time I've been rejected.

I can't sing her praise loud enough, BEST car ever made..

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I got no wheels any more, so I don't actually drive these days.

In some cities in the US and Canada you could probably get by without a car. When I was living in a city on the West Coast some of my students rode their bikes to class as the area had pretty good bike trails. I'd walk a mile to the transit station and then take the train to the airport so I didn't have to pay to park too. The metro also had buses but they didn't stop everywhere and didn't always take you directly where you needed to go. Unless you were going more than about five miles it usually was faster to walk. When the battery on my truck failed once I just walked the four miles because it was faster than walking a mile to the transit station and then taking the convoluted train and bus route to the college.

Out here on the plains, I could walk the mile to the corner stop out on the highway to eat but I've not shopped there in years as they charge three times as much for food as the grocery store in the next town does. I suppose that a person could live off of Amazon food purchases and what they grew in their yard too, so a car wouldn't be absolutely necessary. With car payments, insurance, tag, inspection, maintenance, gas, and property taxes, vehicle ownership can be pretty costly. I like the freedom a vehicle gives me though.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Anything?

image.thumb.jpeg.9ada85e8eb2944c64b820b6d5e8e472c.jpeg

image.jpeg.c014e0aff2411c83ade8d6d9eaab4b31.jpeg

The car and the background picture on the wall remind me of one of the Godzilla/Gojira movies.  🤔
Edit:  Might have been a Gamera movie.  🤔

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The car and the background picture on the wall remind me of one of the Godzilla/Gojira movies.  🤔
Edit:  Might have been a Gamera movie.  🤔

Psst.

Spoiler

This image is AI generated. Let's keep hush hush about that.

• Haha 1

I'm well-pleased with my Tacoma right now, especially since it's paid off and the property taxes and insurance are fairly low. However, if someone were to give me $85,000 and also agree to pay my insurance and property taxes for fifteen years, I'd probably get one of these. 

2024_lexus_gx_%25D9%258FExterior_01.jpg&

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just purchase this. I should get it April 1st. It maybe the last car I ever buy. 

new car_mod.jpg

• Like 4

Over the past few days, I've done or had done the following maintenance tasks on my 2016 Kia Soul (base model, 1.6L 6-spd manual) automobile.

Replaced Spark-plugs, replaced Coil-on-plug ignition coils, replaced air-filter, replaced the serpentine belt, changed the engine coolant.
Purchased a PCV-valve, to install soon.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:23 AM, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

Yep, the engine is fine. It was the automatic transmission that went out.

Ford's 5.4 liter engine has a deadly spark plug issue so that's my first guess.

On 3/24/2024 at 11:37 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

They're decent.

I see many people use FWD cars as winter transportation, so it seems that AWD is not a must.

Personally I wouldn't consider SUV since they are stupidly overpriced these days (and they are usually a grade lower than sedans of the same price), and they consume more fuel, has worse handling, more blindspots......all for the extra space that is vacant most of the time. Plus I'm living in a region that very rarely snows, so AWD is not necessary either.

But manufacturers are keen on selling utility vehicles only and dropping sedans in North America, so good luck to you all......

Ironically why sedans are still popular in China is because low fuel consumption and low price are the most important factors when people choose vehicles.....and neither is very important in North America.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

Ford's 5.4 liter engine has a deadly spark plug issue so that's my first guess.

I see many people use FWD cars as winter transportation, so it seems that AWD is not a must.

Personally I wouldn't consider SUV since they are stupidly overpriced these days (and they are usually a grade lower than sedans of the same price), and they consume more fuel, has worse handling, more blindspots......all for the extra space that is vacant most of the time. Plus I'm living in a region that very rarely snows, so AWD is not necessary either.

But manufacturers are keen on selling utility vehicles only and dropping sedans in North America, so good luck to you all......

Ironically why sedans are still popular in China is because low fuel consumption and low price are the most important factors when people choose vehicles.....and neither is very important in North America.

Yep. True on the spark plugs for the F150's.

It is crazy in the USA that buying a new car is almost like buying a house. Take for example a new Ford F150 is like 50k to 80k to purchase. And not to mention the financing of a new car. Where a new car has an APR of 3.6% and a used car is avg around 14%. I have even seen a used car APR gone as high as 36%. I know for a fact that my new used car cost's more than my parents new home than when they purchased it in the 1970's. However, my new vehicle (to me) has <15k miles for a 3 year old vehicle. The vehicle will still have the manufacturer 's warranties on the car. And the new vehicle depreciation is gone from the used car. So I think I got a good deal with my purchase.

Besides the safety features built in this Subaru are crazy good. I used the AWD more for the rain that snow. Wheels on the road mean you are not sliding sideways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

Wheels on the road mean you are not sliding sideways.

If you have wheels on the road, then you've lost your tires.  😉 

Been there, done that, once upon a time when the passenger-side steer-tire of the Kenworth I was driving decided to self-destruct and the weight fell wholly upon the rim (a.k.a. wheel).
Thankfully, the other 17 tires remained properly installed.  😉 

• Haha 1