USS Kidd Veterans Museum - Baton Rouge, Louisiana

HogHammer

Kidd.thumb.png.c288bcf6721e010080724c6ca0e41eab.pngThe USS Kidd (DD-661) is a Fletcher-class destroyer, the six-hundred sixty-first destroyer built by the United States Navy. In the traditional system of naming destroyers after Naval heroes, she was named after Rear Admiral Isaac Campbell Kidd, Sr., who was killed aboard his flagship, USS ARIZONA (BB-39), during the surprise attack by the Japanese on the American fleet anchored at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

The USS Kidd is the only Fletcher-class destroyer that was restored to her WWII (1945) configuration and is open to the public for tours.

Explore the USS Kidd's history at this link: https://www.usskidd.com/explore-the-kidd/ship-history/

USS Kidd links -

USS Kidd Website

Facebook

Instagram

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Highly recommend a trip to tour this ship !

What is important in visiting the USS Kidd is the "perspective" it gives you...!  This isn't an Aircraft Carrier size wise !!!  It's the "Minnie Cooper" of Naval combatants...

I knew DD's were small ships.  Take the tour and see for yourself just how small this class of DD's are....!  I can not believe that many men were assigned to this class of DD's.

As a retired Armor Officer, I am used to small and tight spaces in the heat of deserts and the ice and cold of winter..  Seriously, small and cramped spaces... 

Tankers have nothing on Tin Can sailors.......nothing...  

I am going to go back to Baton Rouge and spend more time on this ship.  There are a 1,000 more questions I need to ask to make sense of a ship this small....

And, the Museum is really, really nice....! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.