Cerberus - Tech Tree ship for Doubloons?

Jakeshuffle

I'm confused as to the gimmick behind Cerberus costing doubloons when it's going to be a tech tree ship isn't it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I'm confused as to the gimmick behind Cerberus costing doubloons when it's going to be a tech tree ship isn't it?

WG do this for most of the EA T10 ships, either directly or indirectly: you basically have to pay gold to get your grubby mitts on them a patch or two early.

I have to say, the whole 'who buys these things?' question is bit beyond me: I can't think of any tech tree T10 that's worth paying 20Kish gold for, when you can get the thing the old-fashioned way a few weeks later. I have to confess to picking up one or two EA T10s when you pay gold indirectly, but my - pitiful - excuse is that in those cases, I got something else in the process which made it *marginally* less idiotic. Marginally.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I have to say, the whole 'who buys these things?' question is bit beyond me

32 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

It's probably attractive to monetized streamers, whether they be official community contributors or not, who can get the content early to show their viewers... and then write the expense off against their Twitch earnings. 

Otherwise the old proverb about a fool and his money being soon parted probably applies. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Early access is also good for try-hards...for a number of reasons.

1) Opposing team won't know what the ship is and it's capabilities and counters. Good players exploit this.

2) WG balancing is rudimentary at best. Most tier 10s are released a bit overpowered to drive early access sales...before being nerfed later (this has been true of ALL CV releases).

Buying in gets you an OP ships for a while to rack up stats with.

43 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Early access is also good for try-hards...for a number of reasons.

1) Opposing team won't know what the ship is and it's capabilities and counters. Good players exploit this.

2) WG balancing is rudimentary at best. Most tier 10s are released a bit overpowered to drive early access sales...before being nerfed later (this has been true of ALL CV releases).

Buying in gets you an OP ships for a while to rack up stats with.

Money well spent? I assume this would apply only to the crowd that's literally swimming in doubloons.

9 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Money well spent? I assume this would apply only to the crowd that's literally swimming in doubloons.

Or just people with lots of money...where WG prices are pocket change...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Verblonde said:

WG do this for most of the EA T10 ships, either directly or indirectly: you basically have to pay gold to get your grubby mitts on them a patch or two early.

This. It’s been a thing at least since Schlieffen and the German BC early access. That time it was a doubloon auction, but the rest since then have been straight doubloon purchases at the end of a sequential bundle chain. A chain you had to spend doubloons on to even unlock far enough to be able to spend doubloons on the Tier X….

I also noticed you can only get to tier 8 using tokens, then it jumps straight to tier 10 for doubloons. Totally bypasses tier 9. Not that it matters, I have enough credits and fxp squirelled away to get both when they leave early access.

9 minutes ago, Paladin1954 said:

I also noticed you can only get to tier 8 using tokens, then it jumps straight to tier 10 for doubloons.

Aye - the T9 is in the loot boxes...

6 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Aye - the T9 is in the loot boxes...

This timeline is so weird. What did Barry do this time?!