Just When I Thought WG Could Not Get Anymore Dumber They Surprised Me

tm63au

So I am going through the motions of doing events including the Commonwealth team event I knew I had a few Commonwealth tokens up my sleeve but I thought I will get the the end then use them, however tonight ( my time ) I thought what the hell I will cash a few tokens in and start to get these Commonwealth ships.

Now I had looked at the line up a few times both here and in the DEV blog but really never sunk my teeth into the line for more detail, it was oh YAY finally a Commonwealth and oh cool HMAS Hobart nice that will go well with my Perth, noticed a few other ships as well but never really dug into the nitty gritty,anyways I'm looking at this Port Jackson.

Port Jackson is basically Sydney Harbour and the surrounding waterways that eventually lead out into the Tasman Sea, very clever of WG , the ship is basically name Sydney without calling it Sydney, see they can get to use the name " Sydney " again after our two famous cruisers that fought SMS Emden WWI and KMS Kormoran WWII, two bites of the cherry very clever indeed WG.

Anyway I am looking at the configuration of this " Port Jackson "  and thinking this looks familiar, so I look at the ships bio in the Armoury and its a town class cruiser, Australia built four, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide, so apart from HMAS Sydney mentioned above the other 3 had serviceable histories which is cool, but only one went onto to serve in world war 2, HMAS Adelaide so I am trying to understand why in Gods name they called the ship " Port Jackson " and not " Adelaide " which would have been firstly a more historical choice and better choice, the mind boggles at there decisions on naming ships.

I'm a New South Welshman I live an hour from Sydney I should be happy but really this is a FACE PALM moment, I don't know why I am not surprised by this, when it comes to WG " you just cant make this S_ _ t up " there the real deal. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, tm63au said:

So I am going through the motions of doing events including the Commonwealth team event I knew I had a few Commonwealth tokens up my sleeve but I thought I will get the the end then use them, however tonight ( my time ) I thought what the hell I will cash a few tokens in and start to get these Commonwealth ships.

Now I had looked at the line up a few times both here and in the DEV blog but really never sunk my teeth into the line for more detail, it was oh YAY finally a Commonwealth and oh cool HMAS Hobart nice that will go well with my Perth, noticed a few other ships as well but never really dug into the nitty gritty,anyways I'm looking at this Port Jackson.

Port Jackson is basically Sydney Harbour and the surrounding waterways that eventually lead out into the Tasman Sea, very clever of WG , the ship is basically name Sydney without calling it Sydney, see they can get to use the name " Sydney " again after our two famous cruisers that fought SMS Emden WWI and KMS Kormoran WWII, two bites of the cherry very clever indeed WG.

Anyway I am looking at the configuration of this " Port Jackson "  and thinking this looks familiar, so I look at the ships bio in the Armoury and its a town class cruiser, Australia built four, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide, so apart from HMAS Sydney mentioned above the other 3 had serviceable histories which is cool, but only one went onto to serve in world war 2, HMAS Adelaide so I am trying to understand why in Gods name they called the ship " Port Jackson " and not " Adelaide " which would have been firstly a more historical choice and better choice, the mind boggles at there decisions on naming ships.

I'm a New South Welshman I live an hour from Sydney I should be happy but really this is a FACE PALM moment, I don't know why I am not surprised by this, when it comes to WG " you just cant make this S_ _ t up " there the real deal. 

Not the first time WG has displayed mile wide and inch deep understanding of naval history...

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, tm63au said:

A wild guess is - they plan the Adelaide as a c/p premium?

• Like 4

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaita_massacre

WG probably decided Adelaide had a bit too much historical baggage associated with her.

There’s also the possibility (I haven’t compared the in-game models) that using a fictional Town-class allowed them to simply reuse the existing Weymouth model without any alterations, as the Australian ships belonged to later sub-classes.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, tm63au said:

I am trying to understand why in Gods name they called the ship " Port Jackson " and not " Adelaide "

They want to sell Adelaide as a premium, obviously.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nothing surprises me (anymore) when WG & dumber are utilized in the same sentence together 😁.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Subtle_Octavian said:

They want to sell Adelaide as a premium, obviously.

I believe this as well....  That way, the clone of a clone of a clone has a name no one has any idea of where it came from !  It's "Unique" and you know how Whales........errrr.......collectors think..........new crap, gotta have it !   Me, me, me, my, my, my, now, now, now - I want.......cha-ching $$$$ - what's next !  OH look !!! There are two more to have !!!  Cha-Ching $$$$$

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

There’s also the possibility (I haven’t compared the in-game models) that using a fictional Town-class allowed them to simply reuse the existing Weymouth model without any alterations, as the Australian ships belonged to later sub-classes.

IIRC this has actually been given by WG as the reason. Almost Sydney-class but not quite, therefore almost named Sydney. Ask them on this Wednesday's stream. 

7 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaita_massacre

WG probably decided Adelaide had a bit too much historical baggage associated with her.

I very much doubt they know or care about this little piece of gunboat diplomacy. WG isn't averse to putting up ships with controversial pasts (Nueve de Julio), although I think they were absolutely stupid to back down on Ludendorff

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Definitely. See also Caradoc. There were six sub-classes of the C Class (Caledon was the fourth), and the older ones would have been given to the Dominion navies. They've just chosen that one because they've already got the Caledon model and hey, who cares about Tier III?

Edited by invicta2012
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

IIRC this has actually been given by WG as the reason. Almost Sydney-class but not quite, therefore almost named Sydney. Ask them on this Wednesday's stream. 

I very much doubt they know or care about this little piece of gunboat diplomacy. WG isn't averse to putting up ships with controversial pasts (Nueve de Julio), although I think they were absolutely stupid to back down on Ludendorff

Not only additional modelling, but probably also some additional testing effort (the Australian Town-class has proper belt armor in contrast to the earlier Weymouth-class subclass) for essentially a collector's piece. Even for pre-split WG this seems very cost-ineffective.

It seems that neither controversial pasts or uninspiring careers would obstruct WG if it is desired to add a ship. Examples include NdJ, Irian (being the only significant historical major Pan-Asian surface combatant overrode similiar post service fate), Novorossiysk (sunk in home port with heavy losses of life under mysterious circumstances that are never fully explained), Baleares, Grom (premature ends of career in contrast to long-serving sisters), Tone (her crew executed captured Allied merchant sailors in an event in 1944), Dupleix (WG developers admitted themselves that the ship did little between the June 1940 Armistice and her scuttling in November 1942) and even... Duguay-Trouin (participated in a bloody crackdown of Algerian nationalists in 1945 right on the V-E Day).

• Like 2

On 3/18/2024 at 4:32 AM, tm63au said:

Just When I Thought WG Could Not Get Anymore Dumber They Surprised Me

An old Navy saying:

“Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, somebody comes along and invents a better idiot.”

Now we know where the better idiots come from:

”Wargaming. Making better idiots for a fast-changing world.”

• Haha 2