DAZZLE?

mRex

On Velos trying to figure out what to do with last 4 captain points? Never ever used Dazzle is it worth 4 points? 

• Like 1

The general consensus is not really.

Most destroyer fights are going to be close enough that the dispersion debuff doesn’t really affect much (if they’re the ones detecting you). And against longer range shots it could actually result in you taking damage you’d otherwise have dodged. 

The bit of extra speed isn’t super helpful either, especially for the cost.

Depending on what else you already have, RL and possibly Main Battery/AA Expert are better picks for those 4 points. If you already have RL and don’t care for the extra range, put the points into gun reload or torp skills. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mRex said:

On Velos trying to figure out what to do with last 4 captain points? Never ever used Dazzle is it worth 4 points? 

Nope not at all, not really on any DD at all.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mRex said:

image.png.4d6b5eb1bbc675b8f40bc68f9cd8d887.png
This is a good build

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Nope not at all, not really on any DD at all.

But... it is a DD skill so why...?

12 hours ago, mRex said:

Never ever used Dazzle is it worth 4 points?

Dazzle is a skill that is designed to help you have a consistent edge in DD "bumps" i.e. the short exchanges of fire between two DDs going for the same objective or flank. 

If that is the primary role of the build, then dazzle can be of value, which is why we have seen it used in CBs and KoTS. There is generally also more room in competitive captain builds because those DD roles are primarily about vision control and not damage dealing.

In randoms, however, it can be an expensive investment with questionable return. For 4pts you really want a skill that offers value in almost every battle. The only randoms builds I would consider it for are DDs that already have a lot of speed and have a playstyle centered around ambushing things. The Italian or French DDs could be an option in this regard, since one of their play styles is to take DD contact intentionally and get the better of the trades. Another use would be in a cap contester build for a radar DD. 

For Velos in particular, however, I don't think it fits into either of those categories. She doesn't have the speed or the utility suite to really get consistent use out of the skill. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The general consensus is not really.

Most destroyer fights are going to be close enough that the dispersion debuff doesn’t really affect much (if they’re the ones detecting you). And against longer range shots it could actually result in you taking damage you’d otherwise have dodged. 

The bit of extra speed isn’t super helpful either, especially for the cost.

Depending on what else you already have, RL and possibly Main Battery/AA Expert are better picks for those 4 points. If you already have RL and don’t care for the extra range, put the points into gun reload or torp skills. 

Have put Radio Location on every DD build even couple of the cruisers. Feel naked without it. Think its a must have just so you know the general direction torps will be coming from if nothing else. Did put the range mod on it not sure it was worth it very floaty shells even seems worst than the American DDs.

10 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

But... it is a DD skill so why...?

Because it's not good. At the ranges where DDs are mostly spotted it's mostly close range by other DDs. The dispersion at this range doesn't matter as much. 

26 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Because it's not good. At the ranges where DDs are mostly spotted it's mostly close range by other DDs. The dispersion at this range doesn't matter as much. 

No, I meant why is the skill there if it's no good for any DD's?

11 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

It's like shell switching -4o%. It's there for DDs but most shoot so fast it's useless. With Dazzle it's the economy expense of 4 points. Net return is negligible. 

I am still debating on RL. I liked it when I was using it but since made changes to my 2 / 21 pointers without it but maybe I will go back to it, I'm not sure yet.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well there are plenty of bad skills for all classes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

It is a must-have for competitive DDs that do a lot of bumping and/or cap contesting. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Well there are plenty of bad skills for all classes.

11 hours ago, torino2dc said:

It is a must-have for competitive DDs that do a lot of bumping and/or cap contesting. 

So... it's a bad skill except when it isn't?

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Looking at Google Captain Builds, Dazzle is entirely void in its recommended "random" builds.  

However, as pointed out, Dazzle could be effective in the competitive modes offered by WoWs.  

It must be looked at using the right tool (skill) for the intended job.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

The problem when putting together captain builds for random battles is that even though the goal is ostensibly to win, secondary metrics like damage and kills are often valued higher. When you see what damage-related skills you have to give up in order to afford Dazzle, it is understandable that most players balk at the price.

In a mode like ranked1 or clan battles or KotS there is only winning and losing -- a spotting/cap-contesting DD has a specific job to do and must min-max its build to achieve it. If one of the DDs in a cap-fight has the skill and the other doesn't, all other things being equal, over time it can add up to several thousand hitpoints in avoided damage, which towards the end of the match can be the difference between who owns the cap. 

This is why there is not really such thing as "good" or "bad" when it comes to skills and modules -- they are all context dependent. What might be terrible for solo randoms might be really powerful in a pre-made three-man random div, or in ranked, or in brawls, or in clan battles. Do you want to optimize for wins or for damage? It's all situational.

----

1 For Bronze and Silver it is probably not worth making a specialized DD build, but if I were trying to rank out in Gold, I would probably run Dazzle on my DD. Also I don't believe in playing to save a star -- if you aren't set up to win you shouldn't be playing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting... I've never thought you could look at the skills in that light. Meaning, it has never occurred to me that specific skills would in effect on you separating the idea of performance as something distinct from winning.

18 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

It's a bad skill for 99% of us, for 99% of the times people play the game besides when someone wants a specific skill for some comp build.

• Thanks 1