What Ship is This?

RedLimitFreeway

One of the ships in the startup video, shown in the attached screen capture. What ship is this? And how do I get it in the game? I cannot find it in the tech trees, nor among premium ships in the shop.

Thanks!

-best

UnknownShip_WoWsStartupVideo_12in_72dpi_20240316.jpg

• Like 1

It's a pre-dreadnought, so it's probably Mikasa, which is a premium ship. Not her standard camo but a nice looking one, nonetheless. 

Edited by invicta2012
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

It's a pre-dreadnought, so it's probably Mikasa, which is a premium ship. Not her standard camo but a nice looking one, nonetheless. 

Correct, though I think Mikasa wore gray paint in Tsushima, as she does now as well. Note also the Z flag which we could fly in the game until WG removed that option from us... Mikasa still flies the Z flag daily.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_flag

As such, the intro video seems to depict two historical battles, and the choices seem very interesting. The first segment with the pre-dreadnoughts is about the Battle of Tsushima with Japanese and Russian ships, the second seems to depict the ill-fated Operation Ten-Go.

• Like 4

The intros are just some CGI to look cool...

...they do not necessarily represent ships in game.

• Like 1

Here's a clip about the Mikasa in Tsushima.

It's basically taken from this longer video (which shares a lot of material with the Naval Legends Mikasa video):

And the Operation Ten-Go is here:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

The intros are just some CGI to look cool...

...they do not necessarily represent ships in game

Fair enough, but that *is* a Mikasa class pre-dreadnought. Two turrets with a sloped front, secondary box battery, wide bridge with wings, correct number and spacing of funnels. Pre-dreads are *very* cool ships. Am I right in thinking Mikasa is the only one in game? St Louis / Charleston is from the same era but not a BB...

Edited by invicta2012
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Fair enough, but that *is* a Mikasa class pre-dreadnought. Two turrets with a sloped front, secondary box battery, wide bridge with wings, correct number and spacing of funnels. Pre-dreads are *very* cool ships. Am I right in thinking Mikasa is the only one in game? St Louis / Charleston is from the same era but not a BB...

Never thought about that but you are correct. It is the only tier 2 BB in the game and also the only pre-dreadnought battleship in the game, and curiously, in real life, the only remaining British built battleship in the world as well.

As I had never thought about this, it only now dawned on me that the tier 3 BB Knyaz Suvorov in the game is not the real Knyaz Suvorov, the Russian pre-dreadnought battleship that was sunk in Tsushima.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for all the info on this ship. I am currently reading Evans, David & Peattie, Mark R. (1997). Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887–1941 and have just reached the section on the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05 so will be reading about Tsushima.

With your info at hand, I bought the Mikasa with the required doubloons and gave her a try in a RB. She is a cool ship–very classic lines–and I had fun in the battle, scoring a victory.

-best

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, RedLimitFreeway said:

Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887–1941 

Excellent book...