HMAS Hobart - 23 March 1969 - Vietnam

Asym

OK, I was looking at the HMAS Hobart in the armory and, as I reported in the Old Forum, I am close friends of one of the US Sailors that was on the Bridge of the USS Collett that day.  The USS St. Paul was part of this action as well....

I visited with the sailor several times a year and he actually spent time on the Horbart as well and have kept in touch with his friends on the Hobart (that are still with us...)  He was more than willing to drive to Austin to be interviewed by the staff there and they really weren't interested. 

There is another painting, that I can't find on the internet again, that shows both the Collett and the Hobart taking fire....

Three DD's were assigned fire support missions.

image.png.d27b363218374ac2326a16b4b7bf0599.png

Here's what was said about the HMAS Hobart:

"During this deployment Hobart continued to harass enemy positions with pinpoint accurate fire. On one occasion she silenced seven weapons positions.

A US Army cavalry officer who asked for urgent naval gunfire support later wrote:

“It was the best artillery support I ever received. Close enough to rattle my teeth and send shrapnel over our heads but extremely accurate. The reaction time of the ship was unbelievable.” "   (Australian Naval Institute, Mar 2017)

Amazing, we are a Naval game and have the people in these pictures all around us;  and,  we simply aren't smart enough to invite them to tell real stories of actions like they had in March of 1969.  I'm going to ask to do an informal video of one of these sailors this weekend and I will post it if he gives me permission...

The ship is in the game......it deserves comment....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RB11944.jpg

Purports to be a fictionalized account of the author's service. Names were changed, but AFAIK much of what he reports did actually happen. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

RB11944.jpg

Purports to be a fictionalized account of the author's service. Names were changed, but AFAIK much of what he reports did actually happen. 

Unfortunately, Sea Dragon was a little ahead of the USS Collett's arrival.  I will ask next week when we get together at our Gun Show....  Yes, he shoots with us and if anyone has any questions of the Vietnam naval actions in 1969 onward, let me know and I'll ask.....

2 Cruisers and 12 destroyers isn't something to sneeze at !!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Asym said:

if anyone has any questions of the Vietnam naval actions in 1969 onward, let me know and I'll ask.....

Here's one: Please ask your friend if he ever saw the USS New Jersey in action.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Asym said:

Unfortunately, Sea Dragon was a little ahead of the USS Collett's arrival.  I will ask next week when we get together at our Gun Show....  Yes, he shoots with us and if anyone has any questions of the Vietnam naval actions in 1969 onward, let me know and I'll ask.....

2 Cruisers and 12 destroyers isn't something to sneeze at !!!

What was their favorite "unique thing" (or ship's phenomena or crew behavior) they remember from their voyages?

What was their most memorable "good time" or "fun experience" while deployed or while in service?

I'll give you one, here, in trade.
While in boot-camp, we received a class in communication via hand-signals.  Among all the official/standard hand-signals for commanding fire-teams and squads of a platoon, our Instructor told us of an informal signal.
Face one of your unit's personnel, and hold your hand horizontally in front of you with the palm open and facing downwards.  Now with your other hand, form the "flip-the-bird/middle-finger" gesture and place the middle finger directly underneath the open palm.
The meaning of this signal is "Cover me, I'm f<bleep>ed!"  😉 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, oldblackdog said:

Sure.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Asym said:

The ship is in the game

Her predecessor is in the game. Unfortunately she doesn't have a year attached, so we can't be certain that WG has the destroyer planned for inclusion. If she is, it automatically brings guided missiles - but I don't think too many people will care, as Tartar was primarily a SAM and Ikara (installed in place of ASROC) was ASW. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Her predecessor is in the game. Unfortunately she doesn't have a year attached, so we can't be certain that WG has the destroyer planned for inclusion. If she is, it automatically brings guided missiles - but I don't think too many people will care, as Tartar was primarily a SAM and Ikara (installed in place of ASROC) was ASW. 

To me, it's the Name that counts...  Hobart = actual combat.  Missiles, well.....they simply won't be seen I suspect.   Could be wrong: but, the game engine is too limited for the complexity of missiles...  At the moment.  They could purchase a new engine and...........  But, they can't even produce non-clone ships;  so, I really can't see missiles anytime in the future.... 

12 hours ago, oldblackdog said:

I talked to Dennis today.  No.  He left Vietnam waters in early 1969 and did not see the New Jersey.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 4:53 PM, Asym said:

To me, it's the Name that counts...

That really is a bit of a stretch. Kinda like if I would state that this is already in the game:

spacer.png

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

That really is a bit of a stretch. Kinda like if I would state that this is already in the game:

spacer.png

Your post ^^^^ is the first time I've seen a picture of this "two islands" design.
It took me some minutes of research, but I found an article which provided more information.  
I learned something new, today.  Thanks.  🙂 

"The reasons HMS Queen Elizabeth has two islands

Many have wondered why HMS Queen Elizabeth has two ‘islands’. Here we consider why she is the first aircraft carrier in the world to adopt this unique arrangement and the benefits it brings.  ..."
https://www.navylookout.com/the-reasons-hms-queen-elizabeth-has-two-islands/

43 minutes ago, Kruzenstern said:

spacer.png

Not really if you think about it....  We have paper ships that were never even built in the game.  Entire TT lines of ships that were concepts that never made it into production.

Take the TT USS Maine.....  Montanna.    So, that's OK because...........it sells.  And, it's all our host has left to offer.  (more Clones versus new Content...)

As @Ensign Cthulhu and others mentioned over the years, some ships like the Hobart lead "multiple lives...." and experienced combat in multiple wars, sometimes being owned by multiple Countries...

We are a game not a History site that owns a game..... 

Food for thought.

BTW, that ^^^^^ is a monstrosity IMO and a sad testament to only being half way invested in defending a nation.....

@Wolfswetpaws I've posted this clip before, but if this gets your timbers shivering, enjoy.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Asym said:

She looks to be configured and designed for Littoral Combat missions.  I can't see her as a Blue Water combatant....

She was long-in-the-tooth when I saw the Iwo Jima in the late 1980's or early 1990's.  
She was docked and I was nearby on the pier with my unit (either getting ready for or disembarking from a recent exercise).
At the time, it was the first and last occasion I'd have to see the Iwo Jima in-person. 
I knew nothing about her, then.  But she made a memorable impression on me.  🙂 

Edited to add
https://www.hullnumber.com/LPH-2
http://www.ussiwojimaclassassociation.org/lph2/history/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

She was long-in-the-tooth when I saw the Iwo Jima in the late 1980's or early 1990's.  
She was docked and I was nearby on the pier with my unit (either getting ready for or disembarking from a recent exercise).
At the time, it was the first and last occasion I'd have to see the Iwo Jima in-person. 
I knew nothing about her, then.  But she made a memorable impression on me.  🙂 

Edited to add
https://www.hullnumber.com/LPH-2
http://www.ussiwojimaclassassociation.org/lph2/history/

She's in a Book by John Ringo as well.....  Interesting read for an interesting ship.

• Like 1