Commonwealth Cruisers

BlueNautilus

So, now we get this commonwealth cruisers in early access.

Does anyone here have any view on what they are like and how they are best played?

They seem to get crawling smoke from Tier V Delhi onward.  I guess at least Tier V Delhi, Tier VI Hobart, and Tier VII Uganda (being light cruisers) can be played in a similar way one might play ships like Perth?

From Tier VIII Auckland upwards, they turn into CAs.  I wonder how those are best played.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueNautilus said:

I wonder how those are best played.

Like the Albemarle had the Perth's smoke.

I just picked up the T3 Caradoc with event tokens. She's like the Caledon at the same tier, except she gets HE ammo as well as AP. Two twin torp launchers on each side make her a wonderful co-op brawler. 

• Like 3

from what I've seen(from Notser's and Potato Quality's youtube video uploads on these commonwealth cruisers), imagine the japanese CA, the Zao line, but with smoke  & less accurate guns.

you play as a second line damage farmer within its smoke behind friendly cap contesting DDs, subs or/and aggressive BB players spotting for you, but not too back  where kiting french cruisers, IJN BBs & Vermont like to sit at, you shell ballistics are bad for that

you are to overwhelm your target's damacon with one of the best in class set fires per minute and your above average HE dpm, your torps are opportunistic too you may catch something with their range or at lease make them make unnecessary turns for you and your teammates to do big damage on.

We also cannot forget that you should never pass the opportunity to make an enemy submarine regret making it's presence known near your commonwealth cruiser. 

Edited by Rolkatsuki
  • Like 4

On 3/14/2024 at 9:39 PM, BlueNautilus said:

They seem to get crawling smoke from Tier V Delhi onward.  I guess at least Tier V Delhi, Tier VI Hobart, and Tier VII Uganda (being light cruisers) can be played in a similar way one might play ships like Perth?

Perth has better range with her spotter plane, though, so a more passive playstyle is possible. In these new ships, you'll want to keep moving, start fires, close down attacks with your 10km torps, plot escape routes and avoid heavy calibre incoming fire. The anti-sub tools are good but that's not something to focus on until later in a game.

• Like 1

The sub surveillance seems like a "finisher" utility to me. Are subs often within 8km of the max range of the consumable?

• 1 month later...

Finally, these Commonwealth Cruisers will go to free access (shortly). As a Cdn, I will have Caradoc & the Uganda (HMCS Ontario & Quebec) in my port. 😀