PSA: American Carrier Captains

Utt_Bugglier

If you  transferred any of your existing captains into Independence, Yorktown, or Essex during early access just to try the new carriers out, be advised that they will turn into pumpkins in the wee hours of this coming morning when the new build goes live, and they’ll need retraining, whether they stay in those carriers, or if you want to send them back where they came.

If you want them back on their old assignments, tonight’s the night.

Captains you recruited new into those ships should be good.

My independence captain was pulled from reserve, trained for Erie. He’ll stay with Independence.(Like many of you, I  gave hot and cold running Erie captains). My Yorktown captain (21pts), on the other hand, is going back to Iowa.

50 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

If you  transferred any of your existing captains into Independence, Yorktown, or Essex during early access just to try the new carriers out, be advised that they will turn into pumpkins in the wee hours of this coming morning when the new build goes live, and they’ll need retraining, whether they stay in those carriers, or if you want to send them back where they came.

Early Access Tech Tree ships work like Premium ships, while in Early Access, so if you put a Capt from another ship on it, it is not actually trained to the Early Access Tech Tree ship. Once the ship leaves Early Access if the Capt is still on it the Capt will either end up being sent to the Reserves or stay on it and give you a notice it needs to be retrained to that ship the 1st time you go to use it if you want to keep it there. But, you can send it back to the original Tech Tree ship it was originally assigned to without retraining.

Examples of what I mean as I have all 3 of the new US CV's already:

• Independence - I put a 10pt Capt on it from my Reserves that was trained for Clemson. I can choose to send it back to the Reserves (or leave it there if the game puts it there automatically) where it will still be trained for Clemson -OR- retrain it to Independence (I am doing this as I sold Clemson off - I don't play T4 DD's - so I don't need it for Clemson anymore)
  • Yorktown - I put a 12pt Capt on it from my Reserves that was originally trained for Colorado. I can choose to send it back to the Reserves (or leave it there if the game puts it there automatically) where it will still be trained for Colorado -OR- retrain it to Yorktown (I am doing this as Colorado has another Capt on it now so no need to return it)
  • Essex - Came with a 10pt Capt but I sent that to the Reserves and put my 19pt Lexington Capt on it. I can choose to send it back to the Reserves (or leave it there if the game puts it there automatically) where it will still be trained for Lexington so I could send it back with no retraining and then use the 10pt Capt that came with Essex on Essex -OR- retrain it to Essex (I am doing this as Lexington has another Capt on it now and this one is up to 21pts and I prefer that on my T10) 

You don't lose the original training because it was used on an Early Access ship. They haven't done that before that I recall and I have seen nothing saying that will happen this time. That Capt will (should) retain its original ship assignment.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

9 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

You don't lose the original training because it was used on an Early Access ship. They haven't done that before that I recall and I have seen nothing saying that will happen this time. That Capt will (should) retain its original ship assignment.

They've handled it in weird ways in the past. They used to automatically reassign the captain to the ship and then you would have to retrain him. At one point the captain could stay in the ship and use it if he was there when the line went live, BUT... if you moved him out of it for even a second, he would need to be retrained to it when he went back in. Most recently, I think they've just been kicking the commanders back out into reserve (without reassigning them) when the line goes live. 

If they've done something new this time, I won't be seeing it - I got six-point commanders with both Independence and Yorktown which came trained to those ships, and both of them will be staying there. On the other hand, when the Commonwealth ships go live it might be a different matter. 

Oh, that reminds me - when I get home and kick off my WOWS playing for this patch, I need to create an Indian 6pt captain in the Mysore. Chances are he's going to grind a good chunk of the Commonwealth ships. If he can get to 14 points by the time he grinds out Cerberus, she's his to keep; otherwise my 14 point Vampire I captain (who's been waiting since 2017 for a permanent command) gets her. 

10 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

How WG has handled these has changed over time. In the past we have seen the captain being automatically retrained, and for a while it would be that the captain would stay “trained” for the new ship while still being formally trained on the old ship. In this second case everything would function as normal until the first time you moved the captain, and trying to put them back on the (now) tech tree ship would require retraining (basically the game wouldn’t realize something was wrong until it ran the “check” associated with moving captains).

Nowadays captains on EA ships are automatically sent to reserve when the ships switch over to tech tree ships, so while there is no free retraining there is also no risk of the game automatically retraining commanders against the player’s wishes.

6 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Nowadays captains on EA ships are automatically sent to reserve when the ships switch over to tech tree ships, so while there is no free retraining there is also no risk of the game automatically retraining commanders against the player’s wishes.

Yeah, this happened to my Independence captain this morning; unexpected because it’s been a while since I put a captain in, let alone played, a ship while still in early access. So I get widely spaced snapshots.

Maybe it was German battleship split, or British cruiser split.

59 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

How WG has handled these has changed over time. In the past we have seen the captain being automatically retrained, and for a while it would be that the captain would stay “trained” for the new ship while still being formally trained on the old ship. In this second case everything would function as normal until the first time you moved the captain, and trying to put them back on the (now) tech tree ship would require retraining (basically the game wouldn’t realize something was wrong until it ran the “check” associated with moving captains).

All 3 Captains I mentioned above wound up in Reserve with their original assignment still in place as I expected.

Yeah what WG has done has varied in the past but if it was not as I mentioned above we were told the Captain would be reassigned or whatever.

Consistency is not their strong suit. 😂

1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

All 3 Captains I mentioned above wound up in Reserve with their original assignment still in place as I expected.

Yeah what WG has done has varied in the past but if it was not as I mentioned above we were told the Captain would be reassigned or whatever.

Consistency is not their strong suit. 😂

The changes were in responses to players finding loopholes and ways to use the system to their advantage (and there’s nothing wrong with that). Under the original system I described, permanent retraining could be accomplished free of charge. The intermediate system was arguably more exploitable: I used to move captains to an EA ship near the end of the event, complete the grind with the (now) tech tree ship using said captain, then switch them back to their original ship when finished for free.

WG’s record of addressing these types of issues is spotty and inconsistent… unless there is the potential for lost revenue. :classic_laugh:

Question: what is the worst that could happen? 

Answer: an unannounced decision to revert to reassigning whatever commander is in the ship at the moment it goes live. 

Solution: pull all commanders, especially 21 pointers, out of Early Access ships before they go live and replace them with the ones who came with those ships (if any). You have all the time in the world to make a decision afterwards. 

I had a six-point Lady Liberty captain in the Yorktown when I went to bed last night; she came in the paid BP trained to the ship. By the time I'm done, which will be several months from now at 2K XP/day in co-op, she'll have another 360,000 or so CXP on her and be up about 11 or 12 points. Then she can move to the Essex.

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Question: what is the worst that could happen? 

Answer: an unannounced decision to revert to reassigning whatever commander is in the ship at the moment it goes live. 

Solution: pull all commanders, especially 21 pointers, out of Early Access ships before they go live and replace them with the ones who came with those ships (if any). You have all the time in the world to make a decision afterwards. 

I had a six-point Lady Liberty captain in the Yorktown when I went to bed last night; she came in the paid BP trained to the ship. By the time I'm done, which will be several months from now at 2K XP/day in co-op, she'll have another 360,000 or so CXP on her and be up about 11 or 12 points. Then she can move to the Essex.

All of this would sure be entirely conincidental.

I can't wait to sell my cv once its not early access anymore.