How can that be? Is there a logical explanation?

OT2_2

On my second account (Katzbalger_1) I'm playing currently randoms at TV after finishing TIII + IV and are strictly following the good old rules of making progress and grinding. My question is, why do WG take away 0,40 points from my WR when I loose, but is only gratifying 0,20 when I'm victorious?! That in my opinion spoils the whole idea of WR. The account has round about 150 random battles so far. WR actually at 64%. Despite defeat I was most of the time at the top of the board with decent numbers. So has anyone an explanation why WG is making defeat more important than victory? 

I find with over 2k randoms, a win and a loss translate into ,02% positive in winrate. It will fluctuate wildly with few battles such as 15o. 

• Like 1

I think it is just how the mathematics works out - if you have a lot more wins than losses as you do.

Let's simplify things and assume that your win rate was 67% after only 9 games - ie you have 6 wins and three losses.

Now if you win the next game you go to 7 wins 3 losses, which is 70%.  That is, you have gained 3%.

If instead you lost the next game, you go to 6 wins 4 losses, which is 60%. That is, you have lost 7%

The only way to get wins to be more impactful than losses for your winrate is to go below 50%.

Don't go there!

Edited by Bumblegoose
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, Bumblegoose said:

I think it is just how the mathematics works out - if you have a lot more wins than losses as you do.

Let's simplify things and assume that your win rate was 67% after only 9 games - ie you have 6 wins and three losses.

Now if you win the next game you go to 7 wins 3 losses, which is 70%.  That is, you have gained 3%.

If instead you lost the next game, you go to 6 wins 4 losses, which is 60%. That is, you have lost 7%

The only way to get wins to be more impactful than losses for your winrate is to go below 50%.

Don't go there!

Thank you very much for your explanation. Sounds logical to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OT2_2 said:

My question is, why do WG take away 0,40 points from my WR when I loose, but is only gratifying 0,20 when I'm victorious?! That in my opinion spoils the whole idea of WR.

This is why: when you win you are increasing the number of games by one and the number of wins by one. When you lose you are increasing the number of games by one but the number of wins remains the same. % WR = (number of wins / games played) x 100

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is the specific math.

wins      losses        WR%      increase
  99 55 64.29 0.00
Win 1 100 55 64.52 0.23
Lose 1 99 56 63.87 -0.41
Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

That's just how percentages work:

Take 150 games with a 64% win rate.  That is 96 wins.

If you win your next game:

97/151 = 64.24%

If you lose your next game:

96/151 = 63.58%

In this instance, the win increases you by 0.24 and the loss decreases you by 0.42.

The further up on the high side you find yourself, the less pronounced a win is on the overall percentages compared to a loss.  Take the extreme case where you've won all 150 games.  A 100% win rate.  If you win your next game, you're still at 100%. In this case, you MUST win just to stay 100%.  You get NOTHING added for a win.  But if you lose your next game you drop to 99.34%.  You've just dropped 0.66%.

Another way to look at it is the higher your win rate percentage, the more games you have to win to keep yourself there.  If you are at 67% (about a 2/3 win percentage) then you must maintain a 2/3 win rate just to keep you at 67%.  You gotta win two out of three.  So a win only gets you half up what a loss will drop you.  This occurs regardless of the number of games played.  The only difference is the magnitude of the steps reduce as more games are played, but the ratio (between win and loss) required to keep a fixed win rate does not.      

Edited by SoshiSone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1