USS Oklahoma BB-37 Receiving New Tri Pod Masts

DDG44_Vet

Came across this on Reddit today, I didn’t realize how extensive the removals were to allow for the replacement of the original cage masts with the tri pod ones in the 1920’s, looks like it’s down to the weather deck in some locations. 

IMG_0212.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 5:28 PM, DDG44_Vet said:

Came across this on Reddit today, I didn’t realize how extensive the removals were to allow for the replacement of the original cage masts with the tri pod ones in the 1920’s, looks like it’s down to the weather deck in some locations. 

There really wasn't much superstructure on the US BBs until the refits. Most ships really only had the armored conning tower, the cage masts and boat cranes. I believe on the South Carolina class, the 'bridge' was inside the cage mast and 'protected' from weather by canvas wrapped around the mast.

From the book I have on Arizona, they really did strip them down to the deck, replaced boilers and turbines, before building them back up.

USS Arizona (BB-39) 1916
Arizona (BB-39)

USS Arizona (BB-39) - Wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Lord_Slayer, I did not know that, sounds like an early version of a SLEP. Thanks for sharing the photos too  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DDG44_Vet said:

Thanks @Lord_Slayer, I did not know that, sounds like an early version of a SLEP. Thanks for sharing the photos too  

I suspect it's more "what can be seen can be hit; and, what can be hit can be killed...."  Imagine, being up there in a gale.....