Lower Tier Play (T4 & below)

Aethervox

Lately, I'm seeing quite a few players in lower tier play* & not all of them are relatively new players, not by quite a long shot).

Close battles like ones we saw years ago in WoWS. No Flubs at all. Not too many of the dismal reworked CVs either. This is a win-win right there.

Some players who haven't got that many battles played considering the ships in their profile(s). Many different DDs, Cs & BBs too - perhaps, more variety than at mid to high tiers?

* I random my tier play, hence, I play all the tiers I have (T1 - T10) {I refuse to play T11 or T* as I, also, refuse to play Flubs & reborked CVs} [full disclosure]. 

• Like 5

I was working on a campaign and dipped into the T4 briefly but didn't stay for long. [Part of the reason is I am usually doing something that requires Tier V minimum.]

I've been running the potato alert just to see what is around during this campaign effort and it is quite a bizarre mix - at least regarding the randoms statistics.

I was thinking to myself, gawd its lucky we do not see some of these numbers in regular random matches. I appreciated the randoms MM a little more with this insight.

• Confused 1

I actually play T4 a bit and sometimes even T3. Why?

• NO SUBS
  • +1/-1 MM
  • Lots of ships there I actually enjoy playing (Wyoming is one of my game fav's)
  • Less salt and toxic behavior
  • People actually close in and fight which is way more exciting than the back line camping, island humping, yawn fests high tier games usually are for me.

If WG allowed T3/T4 to qualify for things I would play it even more. It is just FUN! I had a Wyoming game the other day where a Beta player was in Arkansas B and the two of us lead the team to a big comeback win. Was a total blast. Down to the wire, even teams, and a real slugfest. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
Grammar
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

• NO SUBS
  • +1/-1 MM
  • Lots of ships there I actually enjoy playing (Wyoming is one of my game fav's)
  • People actually close in and fight which is way more exciting than the back line camping, island humping, yawn fests high tier games usually are for me.

If WG allowed T3/T4 to qualify for things I would play it even more. It is just FUN! I had a Wyoming game the other day where a Beta player was in Arkansas B and the two of us lead the team to a big comeback win. Was a total blast. Down to the wire, even teams, and a real slugfest. 

Indeed, the golden age of the combat meta most people joined World of Warships to play is tier 6 and below...

Tier 7 and 8 is probably the last tiers that are fun in a sailing ships kind of way.

Everything above that is world of tanks on water...go hull down and try to snipe with your artillery platform.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

• NO SUBS
  • +1/-1 MM

Wyoming is a beast - played it a lot in the old days - have the captain at 15, my highest T4 Tech Tree captain. The IJN Myogi is awful.

But Orion is certainly good and Kaiser decent.

But I do play lower tiers still when I regrind. So now I am regrinding German BBs both lines in order to get RB ofc but also get a dejavu on their play. I am now on my 2nd regrind and am at t5 currently. So the captains will advance. However I sadly almost never play when there is no mission. I like the steampunk camos on St Louis and Nassau from Halloween event. That is why I sometimes take out Kagero and Chapayev also with their camos. I play Rasputin too seldom (Nikolai).

I just forget to do it. 

• Like 4

I remember Orion used to have a reputation for being OP. Incidentally, apart from any universal changes/nerfs that WG has done over the years, are the lower tier ships still otherwise 'intact' in the sense that WG hasn't made balance changes that affect the lower tiers, so the only things that have changed are the introduction of new lines and changes in the player base? If so that might in part explain why the game play on the low tiers is better in relative terms.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I remember Orion used to have a reputation for being OP. Incidentally, apart from any universal changes/nerfs that WG has done over the years, are the lower tier ships still otherwise 'intact' in the sense that WG hasn't made balance changes that affect the lower tiers, so the only things that have changed are the introduction of new lines and changes in the player base? If so that might in part explain why the game play on the low tiers is better in relative terms.

No.

WG still makes changes to lower tier ships as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Wyoming is a beast - played it a lot in the old days - have the captain at 15, my highest T4 Tech Tree captain. The IJN Myogi is awful.

But Orion is certainly good and Kaiser decent.

But I do play lower tiers still when I regrind. So now I am regrinding German BBs both lines in order to get RB ofc but also get a dejavu on their play. I am now on my 2nd regrind and am at t5 currently. So the captains will advance. However I sadly almost never play when there is no mission. I like the steampunk camos on St Louis and Nassau from Halloween event. That is why I sometimes take out Kagero and Chapayev also with their camos. I play Rasputin too seldom (Nikolai).

I just forget to do it. 

Orion is good too.

My Wyoming Captain is 21 pts. I’m a filthy seal clubber LOL.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Yes and no. There are occasional balance tweaks (Clemson recently got nerfed, for example, as did one of the low tier Italian cruisers) but those adjustments are pretty uncommon. There is the occasional holdout of weirdness in lower tiers that has largely been removed from the rest of the game. For example, Myogi still has three hull options, the last of which also increases her main battery firing range.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Lately, I'm seeing quite a few players in lower tier play* & not all of them are relatively new players, not by quite a long shot).

Close battles like ones we saw years ago in WoWS. No Flubs at all. Not too many of the dismal reworked CVs either. This is a win-win right there.

Some players who haven't got that many battles played considering the ships in their profile(s). Many different DDs, Cs & BBs too - perhaps, more variety than at mid to high tiers?

* I random my tier play, hence, I play all the tiers I have (T1 - T10) {I refuse to play T11 or T* as I, also, refuse to play Flubs & reborked CVs} [full disclosure]. 

When feasible, I play my low-tier ships to complete my Naval Battles grid categories and earn stars.

Even without that, low-tier play is fun.
I'd play more often, if the in-game mission requirements weren't restricted to Tier-5 or higher ships.  🙂 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

WG/WOWs nerfed the Hosho, a few years ago (by reducing its torpedo drop from two to one torpedo per attack).
As others mentioned, occasionally WG/WOWs makes changes.
By now, most of the changes they wanted have been implemented, in my opinion.  
I figure something drastic would have to happen for them to re-visit game balance in Tiers one through four.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

WG/WOWs nerfed the Hosho, a few years ago (by reducing its torpedo drop from two to one torpedo per attack).
As others mentioned, occasionally WG/WOWs makes changes.
By now, most of the changes they wanted have been implemented, in my opinion.  
I figure something drastic would have to happen for them to re-visit game balance in Tiers one through four.

Well, if we are thinking of something drastic, then making the missions playable on the lower tiers would be one such change. I don't usually welcome anything drastic, but in this case I'd keep an open mind.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well, if we are thinking of something drastic, then making the missions playable on the lower tiers would be one such change. I don't usually welcome anything drastic, but in this case I'd keep an open mind.

WG is too afraid people won't play high tiers if they gave incentives for playing lower tier.

It would expose the lie that high tiers is somehow better gameplay.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

WG is too afraid people won't play high tiers if they gave incentives for playing lower tier.

It would expose the lie that high tiers is somehow better gameplay.

Well, the difference is do you fancy a play style where you can have a sip of tea while playing, or do you fancy something where you are afraid to blink in case your ship gets sunk while you are blinking.

3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

No.

WG still makes changes to lower tier ships as well.

Yes. Clemson got a modest buff several builds ago, when the rear turret was moved and became a 360-degree turret, and the other turrets received rotation angle increases.

More recently, it got a small nerf. (Torpedo reload times?)

Edited by Utt_Bugglier

Low tiers are cool if you like slower gameplay and bots. To me it very bland and repetitive. Most ships have low rates of fire, low dpm. It’s mostly new players learning the ropes or veteran players in Clemson, St Louis, Mikasa or Kong Albert.  You may as well play co-op. If you like fine, but low tiers aren’t where the action is. 

• Bored 1

35 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

Low tiers are cool if you like slower gameplay and bots. To me it very bland and repetitive. Most ships have low rates of fire, low dpm. It’s mostly new players learning the ropes or veteran players in Clemson, St Louis, Mikasa or Kong Albert.  You may as well play co-op. If you like fine, but low tiers aren’t where the action is. 

High tier is cool if you like sitting in one place waiting for RNG to bless your shells...and watching other players throw their ships away in stupid ways.

That's not very interesting action, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

High tier is cool if you like sitting in one place waiting for RNG to bless your shells...and watching other players throw their ships away in stupid ways.

That's not very interesting action, in my opinion.

The meta is very passive. That’s why playing a stealthy torp boat is fun at high tiers. You have to play aggressively but it’s so much fun to surprise a BB or Cruiser hugging an island. 

Edited by Type_93

3 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

The meta is very passive. That’s why playing a stealthy torp boat is fun at high tiers. You have to play aggressively but it’s so much fun to surprise a BB or Cruiser hugging an island. 

To each their own...

I find it boring.

Much more fun to strap into my planes and punish them for hugging an island.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Type_93 said:

IMHO it is the high tiers where the game play is slow. Everyone hides at the back sniping or hugs islands spamming HE. No one wants to move up (tbf it is more dangerous to do so at high tier).

Low tiers on the other hand see everyone charge forward and the fighting is at mid to close range. There is nothing about lower tiers that is slow game play.

Also, reloads aren’t really longer. BB’s reload about the same (base anyway), Cruisers is a toss up with some faster, some the same, and some longer, and DD’s reload torps way faster.

Definitely bots at low tiers so that is true but I disagree on the rest.

JMHO.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of fun and challenge at lower tiers. Even had a rare battle against an Iwaki Alpha and Arkansas Beta. 

These are my favorites:

• Von Der Tann
  • Moltke
  • Friant
  • Duguay-Trouin
  • Orion
  • Córdoba
  • Caledon

And of course, the one ship that started my World of Warships journey:

• Erie.

😊

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

• Córdoba

Is your Cordoba equipped with "Corinthian Leather"?  😉 

Chrysler Cordoba Has Rich Corinthian Leather [Ricardo Montalban]

• Haha 1

Every time I drop into T3 or below, I find myself leading my shots way too much...lol.  Don't go there often.  Sometimes, just for old times' sake...or to take my T2 BB for a spin.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2024 at 3:41 AM, Gnirf said:

I play Rasputin too seldom (Nikolai).

The first time I saw that camo I was perplexed? I was mesmerized by it. It has to be one of the best camos in the game - the green cloud, lol.

you will see a lot of players  ( CC's  , other streamers  and regular players ) play lower tiers  to either keep there in game winrate up or to get it higher than it is ... this is a common practice 

with almost 600 ships in my port  i sometimes play lower tier ships in co-op  just  for fun  seeing as there sitting there .