WoWs goes big into the e-sports scene

iDuckman

Article on changes to KotS and other competitive environments.

image.thumb.png.83888737696bf82a3b259cf12733b049.png

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/community/the-road-to-kots/

$100,000 prize pool for the main tournament.  And other changes that make WoWs competitive look like major e-sports.

This will also impact the minor tournaments, though just how is not yet clear.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Is this good, bad, or just plain ugly?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

All of the above I suspect ^^^^....

IMO, it's directed specifically and intended to appeal to a specific (geographical?) market segment.  Sure, everyone can sort of participate;  but, I think this is a marketing endeavor more than a standardized change to increase quality.  Remember, KOTS is viewed as "boring" in a lot of cases and by a good many players...

If I were to guess, they are aiming this change outside of the US.  Why??  To see what markets do what.....  A Money Talks paradigm>?

Content isn't additively increasing population I suspect so...........this is plan B.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

$100,000 prize pool for the main tournament. 

That's quite the amount of money and I'm sure many players will be tempted to have a piece of that pie

17 minutes ago, Asym said:

think this is a marketing endeavor more than a standardized change to increase quality. 

Indeed it is. And imo it's a masterstroke... this looks like a very effective bribe to raise the numbers of active players. Very likely a very smart investment to increase active players.

32 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I'm not sure about its morality but for me it looks like a very smart and daring move... I can respect that.

• Like 4

Ofc, this cash pool is to attract more players. Another 'obvious' is WG has the money to do all sorts of things to WoWS (let, alone WoT, ofc) but they won't.

This cash prize is entirely designed to attract a greater amount of cash from the player base - clever marketing from WG as they likely get much more than they spend.

There has been rumors of sponsors. If these teams also get sponsors E-Sports is right around the corner. 

5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

$100,000 prize pool for the main tournament.  And other changes that make WoWs competitive look like major e-sports.

DOTA prize pool: $40 million

Fortnight: $15 million

Arena of Valor: $10 million

PUBG: $7 million

League of Legends: $6.5 million

Call of Duty: $4.5 million

Overwatch: $3.5 million

Rainbow Six Siege: $3 million

$100k for a prize pool?

It's a joke.

Don't just believe advertising copy, iDuckman...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Bored 1

5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

So they bought a very popular tournament created by the playerbase to change it and make it exclusive instead of inclusive? Hey, maybe even throw in some subs and CVs...... WOW and e-sports should never ever be in the same sentence. Too much holy spreadsheets and RNGesus for it to be considered a serious e-sport.

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

That's quite the amount of money and I'm sure many players will be tempted to have a piece of that pie

Considering the total amount of work required just to qualify...

...you would make more just working at McDonalds Drive Thru than even winning KotS.

The prize pool is a joke.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Considering the total amount of work required just to qualify...

...you would make more just working at McDonalds Drive Thru than even winning KotS.

The prize pool is a joke.

It's not a joke at all imo. For start I'll be playing a Game comfortably from Home, something I do anyway, a far cry from working. Earning $5k on the side doing what I enjoy to do? (Playing a game I've already mastered) Sure sounds nice to me.

And just fyi, $5k is the standard monthly wage for employees over here.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Too much holy spreadsheets and RNGesus for it to be considered a serious e-sport.

It doesn't need to be serious, just to pay serious money to draw people in... We have a saying over here: 

”Por la plata baila el mono"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

It's not a joke at all imo. For start I'll be playing a Game comfortably from Home, something I do anyway, a far cry from working. Earning $5k on the side doing what I enjoy to do? (Playing a game I've already mastered) Sure sounds nice to me.

And just fyi, $5k is the standard monthly wage for employees over here.

Conveniently ignoring the vast amount of work required to actually qualify and win KotS...for which you will be paid less than $5k.

Then also conveniently forgetting the investment in the game and peripherals which will be required to maintain your ships and personal performance at optimum performance capability...

Plus also conveniently forgetting that that less than $5k is the only reward for the YEAR.

Realistically speaking, KotS prize pool being $100k is an improvement over what it used to be...

...but it is still far from being in e-sports territory.

No one is going to be making actual professional teams to play World of Warships with such a pittance of a prize pool.

KotS is still a joke.

It will take several orders of magnitude more investment by WG, plus fundamental changes in how the game is run and the business strategy utilized, to make the competitive scene in this game anything more than a joke.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

”Por la plata baila el mono"

I had to look that up the monkey dances for the money. I put in the wrong thing and it came up the momo walks through the the door lol. 

Edited by clammboy
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Conveniently ignoring the vast amount of work required to actually qualify and win KotS...for which you will be paid less than $5k. (1)

Then also conveniently forgetting the investment in the game and peripherals which will be required to maintain your ships and personal performance at optimum performance capability... (2)

Plus also conveniently forgetting that that less than $5k is the only reward for the YEAR. (3)

Realistically speaking, KotS prize pool being $100k is an improvement over what it used to be...

...but it is still far from being in e-sports territory.

No one is going to be making actual professional teams to play World of Warships with such a pittance of a prize pool. (4)

KotS is still a joke.

It will take several orders of magnitude more investment by WG, plus fundamental changes in how the game is run and the business strategy utilized, to make the competitive scene in this game anything more than a joke. (5)

I don't know why you are so fixated in considering this like a job offer or reacting like I wanna sell you the tournament... I'm not really, just offering my opinion. 

1. The "vast amount of work" is playing CB seriously, like many players and clans already do... you know for fun, no rewards, but now there's a reward at the end of the rainbow.
  2. Investment you probably already have if you are a serious gamer
  3. It doesn't matter, consider what people do and pay for lousy Loot Boxes, consider how people spend money on gambling just on the faint hope of winning. This gives a reason for players to play this game instead of some other. That's what they are aiming for.
  4. It doesn't need to be an AAA e-sport as the target is not to breed e-athletes, this won't be played by e-athletes but the same regular joes that play this game as a side activity of their regular occupation, but now some of them will be more dedicated, will spend more time in the game. It also opens the door to CCs, Streamers and Youtubers to generate extra direct income from playing the game (thus creating more content and giving WoWS more visibility).
  5. As I already said, it doesn't need to be "serious" to succeed, it just need to draw more players and the potential to earn money tends to move people. 
Edited by ArIskandir
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

It's "I couldn't possibly care less"

giphy.gif

However, if it helps WG make money and keep WOWS going then that's good I guess

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

I don't know why you are so fixated in considering this like a job offer or reacting like I wanna sell you the tournament... I'm not really, just offering my opinion. 

1. The "vast amount of work" is playing CB seriously, like many players and clans already do... you know for fun, no rewards, but now there's a reward at the end of the rainbow.
  2. Investment you probably already have if you are a serious gamer
  3. It doesn't matter, consider what people do and pay for lousy Loot Boxes, consider how people spend money on gambling just on the faint hope of winning. This gives a reason for players to play this game instead of some other. That's what they are aiming for.
  4. It doesn't need to be an AAA e-sport as the target is not to breed e-athletes, this won't be played by e-athletes but the same regular joes that play this game as a side activity of their regular occupation, but now some of them will be more dedicated, will spend more time in the game. It also opens the door to CCs, Streamers and Youtubers to generate extra direct income from playing the game (thus creating more content and giving WoWS more visibility).
  5. As I already said, it doesn't need to be "serious" to succeed, it just need to draw more players and the potential to earn money tends to move people. 

The essence of e-sports is professional teams.

WG needs to be offering an annual prize pool of an order of magnitude more ($1 million) to be a proper e-sport.

That's why I'm laughing at the hype of this joke of a prize pool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

There was a guy who went by h2o_ that used to hang out on the Age of Empires III forums. He won a gold medal in the World Cybergames in 2008. That's the only e-sports professional I've ever personally met online.

My brother personally knows quite a few professional athletes, as did my dad. Both were collegiate athletes themselves and several of the people they knew in college later went pro. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

$100k for a prize pool?

It's a joke.

Thanks for the comparisons.  We're talking about tadpoles in a much smaller pond here.  There will never be a challenge to the big boys, but e-sports - being so successful for them - must hold the promise of benefits for Wargaming. 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Indeed.  I have heard things that, coupled with the announced changes, makes me believe that is exactly what WeeGee is going for.

If you've ever seen King's Avatar (anime or live), I think that's someone's vision.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Thanks for the comparisons.  We're talking about tadpoles in a much smaller pond here.  There will never be a challenge to the big boys, but e-sports - being so successful for them - must hold the promise of benefits for Wargaming. 

Indeed.  I have heard things that, coupled with the announced changes, makes me believe that is exactly what WeeGee is going for.

If you've ever seen King's Avatar (anime or live), I think that's someone's vision.

If WG wants professional teams, they need to be offering a lot more in the prize pool than $100k.

They need to get serious about actually making the game an e-sport.

Right now, they are a laughing stock.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Rainbow Six Siege: $3 million

$100k for a prize pool?

It's a joke.

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

If WG wants professional teams, they need to be offering a lot more in the prize pool than $100k.

They need to get serious about actually making the game an e-sport.

Right now, they are a laughing stock.

john-jonah-jameson-lol.gif

• Bored 1

The prize money for e-sports events is typically funded by a variety of sources, including game publishers, event organizers, sponsors, and sometimes crowdfunding. Game publishers often contribute a significant portion of the prize pool for e-sports tournaments, as it helps to promote their games and attract top talent to compete. Event organizers secure sponsorships from companies looking to reach the e-sports audience, and these sponsorships can contribute to the prize money as well. Additionally, some e-sports events have used crowdfunding platforms to allow fans to contribute to the prize pool.

• Like 4

E-Sport ready?

Please!

Wonky RNG (e.g., your secondaries are full HP while mine are 10% at start of game; & etc.)

Too many bugs (e.g., aiming bug when aiming at the waterline of a ship; aiming bug while other ship is against an island; & etc.)

An arcade game? Yes, but not worthy of being in the e-sports league.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zysyss said:

The prize money for e-sports events is typically funded by a variety of sources, including game publishers, event organizers, sponsors, and sometimes crowdfunding. Game publishers often contribute a significant portion of the prize pool for e-sports tournaments, as it helps to promote their games and attract top talent to compete. Event organizers secure sponsorships from companies looking to reach the e-sports audience, and these sponsorships can contribute to the prize money as well. Additionally, some e-sports events have used crowdfunding platforms to allow fans to contribute to the prize pool.

All of that requires WG to collaborate with outsiders to setup the tournament.

WG is expressly heading in the other direction, trying to monopolize control of the tournament.

Like I said...WG is not actually working this to be compatible with the phrase e-sports.

Saying that this move is WG 'going big into the e-sports scene' is a joke.

• Bored 1

I will never take WG seriously in their GAME or in any serious competition.

The Hypocrisy is just too blatant.

WG.. LOVE our game , we also have subs and CVs,  BALENZZZ!!

WG... We are serious players in competitive E-Games ( But no SUBS and CVS cause we know it's not exciting, fair or fun at all.)

IF WG wants to ever be taken seriously they have to allow SUBS and CVs in their E-sports world.

It's like saying we want to hold the world cup of Soccer BUT YOU CAN'T USE YOUR FEET!

Either go all in or don't.

They Can't.

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

world of warships does not have the material to be an e-sport for couple reasons:

1) way to much RNG involved. Random module health, dispersion and fires among other things make the game less about skill and more about luck which is the very opposite a competitive player wants.

2)world of warships is a boring game to watch mostly because the mechanics encourage passive play.

3)broken ship types like Cvs and subs that have to much power when operated by an actual good player.

fixing those 3 points should be their top priority if they want a competitive game.

• Like 3