New upcoming T9 US DD Johnston seems pretty strong

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

5.8 km conceal T9 DD with SAP AND 3-salvo Burst! 

Im thinking building it with RPF/RL and just hunt enemy DDs, shoot two regular salvos SAP to get down the HP a bit and also confirm the aim and then just burst mode the rest. Dead enemy DD in 4-5 seconds, and then just smoke up and disengage.

Anyone knows what currency? Coal maybe? 

• Like 2

I have admit, my initial reaction was 'gimme'! Let's see what manner of egregious mishap happens to her before actual release...

• Like 1

Yeah the game needs more anti-dd dd for sure

It's a very historical ship. It will sell well even if it's not good.

WG will nerf it heavily because they will be able to and still hit the revenue target.

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

WI and Johnston are the only US premiums in development, as far as we know. With the former in the dockyard, Johnston is probably going to be the centerpiece of this year’s US Independence Day event. She’ll probably be locked behind a partial paywall in the same way as WV’44.

• Like 2

..team that has fewer Johnstons in order of battle, automatically losses-new hard coded rng rule, for historical accuracy’s sake😀

Not sure if I agree with the Johnston evaluations honestly. Outside of point blank sub 6km fighting(cause we all know how bad American ballistics are), there are much better destroyers generally. I don’t think the burst fire will survive testing in its initial form. She is still just another fletcher largely from a gameplay standpoint, her historic value is her main selling point.

Groningen is still more flexible as a purpose built counter DD ship, Mogador is better at range, and Felix Schultz is the better option to counter cruisers and BBs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's a very historical ship. It will sell well even if it's not good.

WG will nerf it heavily because they will be able to and still hit the revenue target.

Imagine standing at the helm of a US Destroyers and get full Salvo of Yamato AP shells punching thru the entire ship without even exploding.....

image.thumb.png.ad270e898ffd495506940c2b682ba250.png

1 minute ago, MBT808 said:

I don’t think the burst fire will survive testing in its initial form.

I haven't studied the blurb closely, so I may be missing something, but I think this is very likely: whilst she doesn't have a heal, she gets a full Feltcher torp loadout, plus tolerable sneakiness (i.e. she's a Feltcher, which is a decent platform) - even allowing for messing with the ammo, the burst fire thing sounds a bit too lively, once you get the range dialled in?

As someone who loves hunting other DDs (but likes being able to do other things too), I want one, but I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll get a monster...

• Like 1

Is there a typo here, or am I missing some key information?

1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

I haven't studied the blurb closely, so I may be missing something, but I think this is very likely: whilst she doesn't have a heal, she gets a full Feltcher torp loadout, plus tolerable sneakiness (i.e. she's a Feltcher, which is a decent platform) - even allowing for messing with the ammo, the burst fire thing sounds a bit too lively, once you get the range dialled in?

As someone who loves hunting other DDs (but likes being able to do other things too), I want one, but I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll get a monster...

It's going to be in direct competition against Black, so it has to be a strong contender or it will be left by the wayside and WG will get blasted for wasting such a heroic ship on a dud concept.

Technical glitch double post.  Please ignore

Edited by Jakob Knight

Idk, it seems WGs MO these days is to release whatever monstrosity to ensure hype and then study the "holy spreadsheets" for about a year and then maybe implement a small nerf. I think they think that being a Fletcher and lofty gun arcs is balancing enough for a Premium.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

If we are lucky, Steel or RP. There's already a TIX Coal USN DD. Another Fletcher(Halford), in fact.

There's a possibility we see a Velos-style release, where you unlock the ability to purchase her at TIX doubloon value with no armory discount. I waited for Velos to have normal armory availability to use that coupon, and suffered a 6 or so month wait as a result.

But she might be in a lootbox chain, which if you don't whale or get lucky, you again get to wait until eventually for a normal release.

I could be wrong and am definitely being pessimistic though.

31 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Idk, it seems WGs MO these days is to release whatever monstrosity to ensure hype and then study the "holy spreadsheets" for about a year and then maybe implement a small nerf. I think they think that being a Fletcher and lofty gun arcs is balancing enough for a Premium.

If their marketing team is reading this Forum, and I am sure they are, they are hearing "Cha-Ching !"  You'all are so predictable....

PS.  If you want to hunt DD's, use a Cruiser. 

Edited by Asym

54 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

… a full Feltcher torp loadout, plus tolerable sneakiness (i.e. she's a Feltcher,…

I feel like I’m watching an old All In The Family rerun:

Archie: “…that Reverend Fletcher…”

Edith: “It’s ’Feltcher.’ “

Archie: “Whatevhah!!!”

Of course, this time around, it really is “Fletcher.”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Is there a typo here, or am I missing some key information?

Bonus points: I've been using this particular typo (<solemn funereal voice> For Humerous Effect, If You Like That Kind Of Thing</voice>) for several years, and this is the first time that anyone has apparently noticed...! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Asym said:

If their marketing team is reading this Forum, and I am sure they are, they are hearing "Cha-Ching !"  You'all are so predictable....

PS.  If you want to hunt DD's, use a Cruiser. 

Said the BB to the cruiser. 😜

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

That'll be the day. The BB always sez to the DD but never the cruiser.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thornzero said:

That'll be the day. The BB always sez to the DD but never the cruiser.

Well, I'm not really a cruiser player in these post CV screw-up times, so I don't always know the reality of cruiser play in these situations. From the DD perspective, if I have the spotting advantage (and there is no radar or planes), I try to spot the enemy DD on cap, for instance, and I'm always hoping for our cruisers to deal with the problem. More often than not, though, in my experience, they tend to do b.a. about it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Or, The Carrier to the BB...  Or, the Harpoon to the Carrier.  Or, the CIWS to the Harpoon>???  Did I pass the test ???

PS, speaking of CIWS, have you ever wondered how anything, to include drones could have sunk a RU Cruiser;  while,  it's emissions active in a combat zone when it has this leetle Cashtan CIWS -

image.png.e822fbfe9ced4d9feba9726a7797fdca.png

Counter rotating 30mm.....@ 9kPM??

Edited by Asym

5 minutes ago, Asym said:

Or, The Carrier to the BB...  Or, the Harpoon to the Carrier.  Or, the CIWS to the Harpoon>???  Did I pass the test ???

No idea but you confused me. Harpoon... that was a game, BTW, IIRC, one that I never got to play...

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral_Karasu said:

No idea but you confused me. Harpoon... that was a game, BTW, IIRC, one that I never got to play...

Sorry, missile.  Harpoon missile....  And yes, I played "Harpoon" from Day one and the Army staff used to play against the Navy staff where I worked !  Now that, was a lot of fun !!!!!  The Navy version is more than the Civilian version.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Here, I thought we were playing the Associative Obsolescence game....   What can defeat what; replacing,  it's combat effectiveness and value...  carriers replaced the Battleship and Missiles replace the Carriers and then CIWS made missiles passe'.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Asym said:

Here, I thought we were playing the Associative Obsolescence game....   What can defeat what; replacing,  it's combat effectiveness and value...  carriers replaced the Battleship and Missiles replace the Carriers and then CIWS made missiles passe'.

Associative obsolescence... sounds like my kind of game...

• Like 1