Subs

Efros

Just had an encounter with a sub in my Atlanta. No biggie, sunk him... eventually.

9cd2de285432073c1eef99bab28a1c73.png

51 hits, 35 of which were pens. I know this game is not a simulator but just what fantasy realm are we in when this is the case.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

They can't sell Subs if we can sink them with impunity...  So, don't try so hard or the game will go broke and close....

Just kidding.......

Wait, it may get a lot worse !  The IJN-400 series subs have yet to be released.  Imagine, a snorkel submarine what can surface behind an Island, launch three planes, spot everything imaginable and then, submerge and remain undetected running on a snorkel.  And, they had AA and Surface radars......and, German periscopes.

Edited by Asym
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm going to TRY to be even handed here ...

My personal opinion is that subs and CVs simply represent the most extreme cases of the unrealism that the game uses.

Case in point: When I'm raining HE on the deck of a CV and I can see aircraft taking off as the shells are impacting the flight deck.

But we're already accepting the concept of damage saturation, which is pretty unrealistic. The thing is, I know that we need damage saturation to some extent in the game or the games will take hours or your ship will be dead in the water after the first citadel, so we have to accept a certain level of unreality ... and subs and CVs just represent the most extreme case of that.

Don't get me wrong ... I think @Efros is spot on here - the amount of damage that a sub can absorb and keep functioning is quite absurd. When I put a 203mm HE shell dead on the conning tower of a sub and it submerges and uses it's periscope ... that's pretty funky smileytongue.gif.fe902ab22717c1b5f4145a5a20d211c2.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I would suggest the most absurdly unrealistic thing in this game is the ability of a DD to sink a BB with it's main battery guns. Everything else is just degrees of difference.

Face it, this is 100% an arcade game with a "historical" theme only. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Efros

It's just as bad with DC's. I once had 15 DC hits on a sub and didn't sink it. At least you got the little underwater turd sausage LOL.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Asym said:

They can't sell Subs if we can sink them with impunity...  So, don't try so hard or the game will go broke and close....

Just kidding.......

Wait, it may get a lot worse !  The IJN-400 series subs have yet to be released.  Imagine, a snorkel submarine what can surface behind an Island, launch three planes, spot everything imaginable and then, submerge and remain undetected running on a snorkel.  And, they had AA and Surface radars......and, German periscopes.

And perhaps they'll use incendiary bombs to set an island on fire (thus creating a smokescreen), eh?  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

And perhaps they'll use incendiary bombs to set an island on fire (thus creating a smokescreen), eh?  😉 

I am not sure that that ^^^ isn't an option because we see that very same thing right now.  Planes sets a smokescreen and the sub recovers the sea plane in the smoke. 

The perfect gimmick.  Thank you for suggesting that to WG cause..........it's perfect.

11 minutes ago, Asym said:

I am not sure that that ^^^ isn't an option because we see that very same thing right now.  Planes sets a smokescreen and the sub recovers the sea plane in the smoke. 

The perfect gimmick.  Thank you for suggesting that to WG cause..........it's perfect.

Well, as far as the game programming goes, the island's trees would need to have their coding changed so that they can be ignited.

As for the historical precedent? 
The Japanese did use planes, launched from submarines, to bomb the USA in an attempt to start forest fires, in order to hamper the USA's war efforts.
Their endeavor did not go entirely as planned, but did make history.

https://www.historynet.com/the-japanese-pilot-who-bombed-mainland-america/

• Like 2

I'm blaming you @Efros!  You started this thread and now I got my record hits on a sub...  (pens were 162/181 or 89% for the whole battle)

He killed me with his gosh darn guided missile torps... but he died too... still NOT fun.

It definitely removes the ability to "suspend disbelief" to stay immersed in the game's essential fiction.

The guided torps are the "golden bullet"... sub drivers SHOULD have to pay real money for them and WG should pay doubloons when they use them against us! 😄

Recordsubhits.jpg

On 3/7/2024 at 8:54 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well, as far as the game programming goes, the island's trees would need to have their coding changed so that they can be ignited.

As for the historical precedent? 
The Japanese did use planes, launched from submarines, to bomb the USA in an attempt to start forest fires, in order to hamper the USA's war efforts.
Their endeavor did not go entirely as planned, but did make history.

https://www.historynet.com/the-japanese-pilot-who-bombed-mainland-america/

Island trees catching on fire would be awesome!  So would sunk ships' oil slicks...  I think you have something fun there...

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

In the realm of what would be cool would be the erupting volcano on Hotspot completely blowing its top wreaking Krakatoa like devastation on the map, wiping out all ships at once....COOOL!

Edited by Efros
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Efros said:

In the realm of what would be cool would be the erupting volcano on Hotspot completely blowing its top wreaking Krakatoa like devastation on the map, wiping out all ships at once....COOOL!

Some men just want to watch the world: burn.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Efros said:

New signal-flag or consumable = "Island Volcano Sacrifice" to appease the angry volcano?  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The damage saturation thing for subs is pure BS gimmickry.

As stupifying as the Yorktown Smoke dispensing.

I still maintain that sub captains should have to choose between either Long-ranged slow torps or Short-ranged fast torps.

After all, surface ships have to choose between various ammo types. 

• Like 1