Vehicle – The Ox is no more

Tpaktop2_1 NA

My blue 2006, 16 year old F150 XLT PU is no longer fixable. The transmission is gone, along with the power steering pump, and the multi-function turn indicator switch. I should have gotten a hint 4 years ago when the multi-function switch part is no longer available by Motorcraft. The last straw was the transmission went, and 3 shops said they would not work on it. So today I got rid of it to start anew. It is a work in progress for its replacement. Besides you can only sharpen a #2 in pencil so much. Now I know how some people feel about their vehicles, but it's sad to lose an old friend.

mauldinjp.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I sold vehicles for some years. Some people are wicked attached to their old vehicles and often in despair finding a suitable replacement.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

My blue 2006, 16 year old F150 XLT PU is no longer fixable.

mauldinjp.jpeg

When it's going to cost more than a substantial down payment on a new vehicle to fix the old one, and also is going to cost nearly as much in continuing repairs as a new-vehicle payment would be, then it's time to get a new vehicle. The only exception to this would be a classic car that appreciates in value because it's rare.

You might not like to hear this, but my 2006 Tacoma hasn't needed a single repair thus far. The paint is starting to fade and it has numerous small dents and dings from its off-road life as a field research truck but mechanically it's still perfect. I plan on keeping it as long as I can, at least ten more years. Its predecessor, also a Toyota pickup that spent more time in the field than it did on the road, had over a quarter million miles on it and was twenty years old when it needed replaced.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:03 AM, Snargfargle said:

You might not like to hear this, but my 2006 Tacoma hasn't needed a single repair thus far.

Toyota/Honda vehicles have good reliability generally but problems still occur occasionally when mileage adds up. My mom's '07 Accord had a transmission repair a few years ago, in Feburary the engine light suddenly lit up and the car's engine power was reduced and speed was limited at 50 mph, luckily the problem disappeared when restarted. Later check reveals that the throttle petal needs to be replaced (sensor problem), not some very serious problem but can still be annoying.

Had some roadtrips (~1000km in total) during holidays last month. Odometer is calculated in kilometers.

image.thumb.jpeg.201c81ffde2d0139a824f7850d694996.jpeg

Edited by New_Jersey_prpr
  • Like 3

On 3/6/2024 at 3:27 PM, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

My blue 2006, 16 year old F150 XLT PU is no longer fixable. The transmission is gone, along with the power steering pump, and the multi-function turn indicator switch. I should have gotten a hint 4 years ago when the multi-function switch part is no longer available by Motorcraft. The last straw was the transmission went, and 3 shops said they would not work on it. So today I got rid of it to start anew. It is a work in progress for its replacement. Besides you can only sharpen a #2 in pencil so much. Now I know how some people feel about their vehicles, but it's sad to lose an old friend.

mauldinjp.jpeg

I once owned a 2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon (the station-wagon version of the Elantra sedan), with a 2.0L engine and a 5-speed manual transmission.
The car and I shared a number of adventures and a few misadventures and the car was still running with over 180,000 miles on it.
In 2016 I learned that the tailgate latch mechanism would no longer release the tailgate.
Since I used the tailgate frequently, I figured it was merely worn-out and sought replacement parts.
None could be found in the USA.

So, I did some research and eventually purchased a 2016 Kia Soul, base model, 1.6L engine with 6-speed manual transmission.

I donated my Elantra to a cancer patient.
They and their circle of people kept it running for another year, until it eventually stopped running (for reasons I'm not entirely certain of).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

the engine light suddenly lit up and the car's engine power was reduced and speed was limited at 50 mph,

Some sources call that "Limp Mode".
The computers sense a problem and decide to put the vehicle into a status which allows it to limp to the facilities which can repair it.

31 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

6-speed manual transmission

The best anti-theft device made.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

There's actually a class-action lawsuit about Kia vehicles and theft/anti-theft "features".
https://kiatheftsettlement.com/

I owned a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe and replaced it two months ago.  My particular vehicle was not one of the Kia/Hyundai models that was easy to steal, but I didn't trust a 15 year old car thief to figure that out so purchased a steering wheel lock.  I thought the highly visible lock would cause would-be thieves to keep walking as too much trouble to bother.  Knock on wood, my car was never touched, but I understand the problem with theft.  I live in the Minneapolis area and just read that 4,520 Kias/Hyundais were stolen in Minneapolis proper in 2023, and that does not count suburbs.  Newer models don't have the problem, of course, but that is small consolation to owners of older models.     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Some sources call that "Limp Mode".
The computers sense a problem and decide to put the vehicle into a status which allows it to limp to the facilities which can repair it.

Yeah I know, certain manufacturers even used a turtle indicator to inform that this mode is on.

Nowadays most cars have a screen on dashboard to tell you exactly which part of the car is malfuctioning, but old cars don't have that (plus the logic of OBD maybe not advanced enough on old cars), a gas petal that needs to be replaced (and it's not urgent) can cause limp mode is still pretty frightening I was afraiding of some serious problem and expensive repairs tbh since the car was also in limp mode when something broke in the gearbox a few years ago.

Edited by New_Jersey_prpr
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the new replacement

😁

And I can fit in it!

2021 Forrester.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 2:27 PM, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

My blue 2006, 16 year old F150 XLT PU is no longer fixable.

Lol.  The '88 Toyota Corolla is used when I was in College is still running, and is still fixable! ... of course that's from an age when obsolescence was not a cardinal design consideration. Lord, how I hate design obsolescence... 

On 3/13/2024 at 8:42 AM, New_Jersey_prpr said:

Toyota/Honda vehicles have good reliability generally

At some point I drove over 300km of mountain roads on a Toyota Land Cruiser with a 2F 6-line engine with a broken crankshaft... we knew there was something wrong inside but we all were amazed when we opened the engine and the crankshaft felt apart in 2 pieces. 

I've had Toyota vehicles for over 30 years, if I'm buying something new I wouldn't consider anything else... those things are seriously made to last. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I've had Toyota vehicles for over 30 years, if I'm buying something new I wouldn't consider anything else... those things are seriously made to last. 

I've driven Toyota's pickups exclusively since 1980 and don't plan on changing to any other brand. Occasionally, I'd hear a few "local yokels" question how "American" someone who drove a Toyota was. They would shut up when I'd look at the information sticker of their Chevy truck and inform them that it was made in Mexico, whereas my Toyota truck was made in America.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

So much this^^

my old Toyota Avensis (not sold in the US, i think) station wagon  from 2008 has done over 300,000 km (186,411 miles) and would be just fine if I could get parts. Bits and pieces of plastic stuff keep falling off now, though, and some things have stopped working (esp. last year). The garage says every repair now costs more than the value of the car... It's only had one real breakdown, an electric failure 6 years ago. Unfortunately Toyota stopped producing these cars cos they thought everyone would want an SUV, and when I decided to get a new car last November I couldn't find a more recent version, also not used - nobody sells their Toyota cos they just run. So I had to go with another brand... 😞  I kept the Toyota, anyway - I might need some form of counseling before I give her up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've found that videos which "autopsy" engines can be very educational.

I just watched his video about the same engine as my Tacoma has in it. The engine he was tearing down failed because the owner had run the front end of the vehicle into standing water and it hydro-locked, breaking a connecting rod. At over 150,000 miles, however, the engine otherwise had very little wear.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

So I had to go with another brand... 😞 

I remember there're new Corolla wagons available in Europe (I assume you live in Europe since Avensis is a Europe only vehicle)

1 hour ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

I remember there're new Corolla wagons available in Europe (I assume you live in Europe since Avensis is a Europe only vehicle)

yes, they removed the bigger Avensis, and suggested the Corolla as a replacement. But for the tasks I have, the corolla is too small. I waited ages to get a dealer to find me a used Skoda Superb as an alternative, but they never did. Instead I found a huge deal on a bmw 530. Only 30,000 km on the clock (19 k miles) and about 2 yrs old, and less than half the price of a new one cos the prev. owner had bumped into a trolley stand. I saw the insurance report (damage to the bumper had been replaced), took the thing to my garage and the repair man found absolutely no cause for concern. The interior design of this car is fairly dumb, imho, but it is a dream on the road. You can, ofc, drive beyond stupid fast with this thing ( took it north of 220 km/h in a test on an open autobahn and it felt thoroughly stable with overhead to spare1), but what I do like is that the bigger engine and good design (other than interior) allows for godly road control and a feeling of safety. In all it's OK, but I'd go back to an Avensis if Toyota grew a brain cell and re-introduced them.

1 I otherwise drive defensively, folks, and please do that too. Cannot emphasize this enough. Speed kills, and DevStrike! doesn't have a server in Hell yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2024 at 2:27 PM, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

mauldinjp.jpeg

Somewhere in a box of pictures from the late 90's, this is me and my 86' S-10.

This was my first truck, a '51 Willys. It wasn't nearly in as good of shape as the one in the picture and I should never have bought it. However, I really wanted a 4WD when I was in high school and they were fairly rare in 1971. It was completely shot through and through -- rusted out body, rusted frame, rusted out floorboards, leaky fuel system, bad fuel pump, bad radiator, bad wheel bearings, bad master cylinder, bad u-joints, broken windows, ratty seats, sludge-filled, worn-out engine, etc. I didn't know enough automobile maintenance back then to keep it running. I did learn a lot about brazing and welding tough as it was my welding shop project. I finally sold it to a local farmer for $50 just to get rid of it. He rebuilt the engine and put it into an old army-surplus jeep, then scrapped the rest.

74221571-770-0@2X.jpg?rev=1

Ironically, that truck was only 20 years old in 1971. My current truck is an 18-year-old 2006 Toyota Tacoma that's never had a bit of rust or any mechanical problems whatsoever. The only thing wrong with it is a bit of hazing of the paint along the side that always gets the most sun because of the way I park, and rattle somewhere in the back of the cab, probably due to the plastic interior trim getting older and less pliable. They make cars much better today than the did back in the "good old days."

Because my own truck never ran, I'd drive my folk's old '66 Chevy station wagon to my farm job. It was only five years old with 100,000 miles on it but the engine was already completely shot. I kept a case of oil in the back and put a quart in every few days. Finally, the compression got so bad that it wouldn't run at all. My uncle then bought it, bored the 396 out to 400 cubic inches, did something I never really understood with the stroke and compression, and put it in his '69 Corvette race car. The only race he lost before his health got so bad that he had to stop was an exhibition race against a formula car. 

1966-chevrolet-caprice-estate-wagon-396-

My brother was about as "into" Corvettes as I was Jeeps at the time. He bought a piece of junk '68 Corvette that never ran right, sold it then bought a '69 Camaro, which also had a worn-out engine. He tried to rebuild the Camaro's engine, spending most of a year on it but never could get it to run right. He finally traded his dirt bike for a Toyota Corolla and drive it for the rest of high school then gave it to my sister who drove it all through high school too. He's a CEO now and probably doesn't even remember that he once worked on a car.

They build "American-made" cars better nowadays too. My Dad's '04 Lincoln had 270,000 miles on it and was still not using any oil when we sold it as part of his estate 2020.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

Cars are indeed better nowadays. MY old Toyota (which I consider to belong to the 'nowadays' ones, i.e. post 1990) I'm sure would run another 100 k anything, if replacement parts were available. There's no rust, motor is good, the bits breaking down all have rubber gaskets or sealing or are made of rubber or plastic. I wish I were a bit more handy about cars, so I could try and maintain it myself, but such is liff.

I had a Renault 19 from 1991 that I gave to brother-in-law in 2008, in great shape although I'd only had the regular service done. He still has it, and it kinda still runs (he picked me up from the trains station once, and it was a bit of an adventure getting home, imo), it's had tons of rust that he's had to fix but he is a mechanic so I guess the car's shifted to an enthusiast pool now.

Edited by I_cant_Swim_
forgot the R19 rust - how could I
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 3:07 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've found that videos which "autopsy" engines can be very educational.

This youtube channel does a lot of them.
https://www.youtube.com/@I_Do_Cars/featured

I watch that guy! I thought of him as I was reading through this thread and then I saw you'd already linked to him.

As a pathologist, I feel a sense of kinship with him and his ilk. Unlike surgeons and motor mechanics whose business it is to restore the engine to working condition, we have the luxury of not having to put it together again once we've torn it apart! 😆 The difference is that he can take the parts that are still good and give them a second life; any body that comes to me is already long past that, unless you are living in a 1950s monster movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

unless you are living in a 1950s monster movie.

d86773f7-a702-4ac3-b59e-962b373c91cc.jpg

• Like 1