Plop Day at last !

iDuckman

Texas is back in her beloved sea, watertight and refreshed.  Enjoy!

She'll be moving to a nearby dock for more work.  The entire deck replaced (in pine), finishing the superstructure, painting topside, some interior work including museum exhibits, and re-installation of the secondary artillery batteries.  The old gal is expected to re-open to the public in late summer 2025.

This makes my heart warm.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

50 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The entire deck replaced (in pine)

Teak was once inexpensive, not so much anymore. Teak now runs about $40 a board foot and you'd probably use up the entire US supply of it decking a battleship. They are going to have to use lots of waterproofing on that deck though. Wood sealant isn't cheap either. I spent a thousand dollars on wood panel sealer last summer for my house. That's about a Higgins boat worth of the stuff.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

Being a native Texan, seeing her get the love she deserves warms my heart. I would love to see an anchors away event on her when she reopens. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Teak was once inexpensive, not so much anymore. Teak now runs about $40 a board foot and you'd probably use up the entire US supply of it decking a battleship. They are going to have to use lots of waterproofing on that deck though. Wood sealant isn't cheap either. I spent a thousand dollars on wood panel sealer last summer for my house. That's about a Higgins boat worth of the stuff.

Teak became the standard for decking, but the original deck of Texas was pine. Yeah, it will be interesting.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Teak became the standard for decking, but the original deck of Texas was pine. Yeah, it will be interesting.

Is this a brand-new wood deck or the one they installed in 1990?

Edited by Snargfargle

Posted (edited)

As I understand it, new.

Should take a year to install.  It's a big ship.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

As I understand it, new. Should take a year to install.  It's a big ship.

That gives us a good idea of the lifespan of the pinewood decks -- about 30 years.

bee-u-tee-ful! Looks like I'm visiting Texas in 2025...

• Like 1

Too bad every navy didnt save some epic ships from ww2

6 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Too bad every navy didnt save some epic ships from ww2

An understandable sentiment.  
Lives were touched and threads of fates were woven and deeds were done and stories were created.
Shall we preserve what we can, here & now? 

• Like 2

The only reason BB-55 [North Carolina] got her teak replaced was a country literally donated all the wood to them. 

• Like 1

'Plop'?

Plop is a sound that something solid makes when it hits the water in a toilet. I'm pointing out the potty 'humour' here (please, no one get their noses out of joint) 😁.

Edited by Aethervox

43 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

'Plop'?

Plop is a sound that something solid makes when it hits the water in a toilet. I'm pointing out the potty 'humour' here (please, no one get their noses out of joint) 😁.

plop (v.) --  "to fall or fall into with a sound like 'plop,' " 1821, imitative of the sound of a smooth object dropping into water.

Onomatopoeia -- a type of word, or the process of creating a word, that phonetically imitates, resembles, or suggests the sound that it describes.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

'Plop'?

I hear the LCS make alot of plops

19 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Texas is back in her beloved sea, watertight and refreshed.  Enjoy!

Galveston's Battleship Texas leaves dry-dock after 18 months

From the mist, a shape, a ship, is taking form
And the silence of the sea is about to drift into a storm
Sign of power, show of force
Raise the anchor, battleship's plotting its course

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Aethervox said:

'Plop'?

Your imagination is too good for your own good.  Ryan (the curator) used the term, so I followed suit.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

古池や 蛙飛び込む 水の音

The old pond

A frog leaps in.

Sound of the water.

Or...

Pond

Frog

Plop!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Your imagination is too good for your own good.  Ryan (the curator) used the term, so I followed suit.

All major navies, shipyards, and historians should change their language surrounding these types of events from “launch” to “plop.” 😆

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

All major navies, shipyards, and historians should change their language surrounding these types of events from “launch” to “plop.” 😆

Why?  Because ships already have a poop-deck?  😉 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Why?  Because ships already have a poop-deck?  😉 

No toilet humor needed, I just find the use of such a silly and whimsical word associated with the launching of a multi-thousand ton instrument of war amusing.

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:14 AM, Snargfargle said:

That gives us a good idea of the lifespan of the pinewood decks -- about 30 years.

At the most, I don't think even your garden variety of pressure impregnated pine lasts that long.

12 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

At the most, I don't think even your garden variety of pressure impregnated pine lasts that long.

It depends on the local weather conditions and maintenance. I built my deck thirty years ago out of pine boards and it's still holding up fairly well. I have to re-seal it every five years or so though. I pressure-washed and re-sealed it last summer when I was doing the same to the house. Once the weather warms up a bit more, I need to get a second coat of sealer on it. It's not a very big deck, I mainly built it because that area of the yard tended to get waterlogged after it rained. It's a good place to sit and watch the birds from though. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

1. I doubt the sound of the Texas’ drydock being flooded makes a “plop” sound at all. For all my years at the shipyard, I was never around when a drydock was being flooded. I imagine it makes a “whoosh”, if it makes any sound at all. And that only until the inlet ports get covered by the rising water level.

2. New vessels are largely built on land level facilities now, then rolled on crawlers to a drydock, onto a floatable (but locked in land level position) platform. The platform is then internally flooded and it descends (controlled sinking) to the bottom of the drydock. (Larger yards have a built-in drydock that can do this, others bring a floating drydock to the party to hook up to their land-level facility.) I expect in that event, you’re denied even the whoosh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

1. I doubt the sound of the Texas’ drydock being flooded makes a “plop” sound at all. For all my years at the shipyard, I was never around when a drydock was being flooded. I imagine it makes a “whoosh”, if it makes any sound at all. And that only until the inlet ports get covered by the rising water level.

2. New vessels are largely built on land level facilities now, then rolled on crawlers to a drydock, onto a floatable (but locked in land level position) platform. The platform is then internally flooded and it descends (controlled sinking) to the bottom of the drydock. (Larger yards have a built-in drydock that can do this, others bring a floating drydock to the party to hook up to their land-level facility.) I expect in that event, you’re denied even the whoosh.

At least it's safer than the traditional way of launching a ship.