Battleship Texas - superstructure and casemate work, hull, extended Q&A

iDuckman

This is kinda long, but worth it.  The best bits are in the first half.

Here's some news: The "plop date", when Texas goes back into the water, is in February.  That should tell you how extensive the work is as the bulk of the hull reconstruction is getting close to done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

"plop date"

🤣

They're going to take her out somewhere deep and sink her then work in secret on the ocean floor, to be ready for when the Gamilons arrive. 😜

• Haha 2

Thanks for sharing an update on the condition of the Texas, @iDuckman🙂

29 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

🤣

They're going to take her out somewhere deep and sink her then work in secret on the ocean floor, to be ready for when the Gamilons arrive. 😜

"Shirley, you jest, eh?"

2 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Thanks for sharing an update on the condition of the Texas, @iDuckman🙂

"Shirley, you jest, eh?"

I'M NOT JESTING - AND DON'T CALL ME SHIRLEY!!!! 😛

• Haha 1

It's the one year anniversary of towing Texas into drydock. (Cripes, already?!)  Here's a split screen time-lapse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

🤣

Sekrit actual fate of Nevada!

• 4 weeks later...

Reading up a little more on the Texas, I found this: something I did not know...

The USS Texas (BB-35) Was Intentionally Flooded During D-Day

After briefly returning to England, Texas arrived back in Normandy on June 15. By then, the Allied forces had already pushed farther inland and out of her range; the ship's large guns couldn't aim high enough to launch shells where they were needed. As fire missions continued to be requested, the crew needed to think outside the box. If the port side guns couldn't be raised any further, then the starboard side needed to be lowered.

To lower the starboard side, the crew intentionally flooded the torpedo blister, lowering Texas an extra two degrees into the water. This was just the right angle for the battleship's guns to fire accurately and complete the mission. Most vessels would never voluntarily flood part of their hull, but this daring move embodied the spirit the Allied forces showed at Normandy, which allowed for the operation to be victorious.

The USS Texas (BB-35) Was Intentionally Flooded During D-Day (warhistoryonline.com)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Reading up a little more on the Texas, I found this: something I did not know...

The USS Texas (BB-35) Was Intentionally Flooded During D-Day

After briefly returning to England, Texas arrived back in Normandy on June 15. By then, the Allied forces had already pushed farther inland and out of her range; the ship's large guns couldn't aim high enough to launch shells where they were needed. As fire missions continued to be requested, the crew needed to think outside the box. If the port side guns couldn't be raised any further, then the starboard side needed to be lowered.

To lower the starboard side, the crew intentionally flooded the torpedo blister, lowering Texas an extra two degrees into the water. This was just the right angle for the battleship's guns to fire accurately and complete the mission. Most vessels would never voluntarily flood part of their hull, but this daring move embodied the spirit the Allied forces showed at Normandy, which allowed for the operation to be victorious.

The USS Texas (BB-35) Was Intentionally Flooded During D-Day (warhistoryonline.com)

The Fat Electrician has a vid on Texas and what a badass ship she was.  D-Day making a pit stop back at England because she'd fired off all her shells. The old girl deserves all the love she can get.

• Like 2