Chains tied around the bow of Okt. Revolutsiya

BlueNautilus

I just noticed that the Tier V RU BB, Okt. Revolutsiya has a pair of chains that are tied around its bow, like in the screenshot shown below.

Does anyone here know what the purpose of these chains are and if this was a thing unique to this ship?  I don't think I have ever seen such a feature on other ships in WOWS. 

image.thumb.png.ca02482d30e6be3e1f3b540b332a5ac2.png

Edited by BlueNautilus
  • Like 1

Here is the ship anchored in Finland with what looks like an anti-torpedo screen deployed. The Gangut-class battleships had no anti-torpedo bulkhead, which made them vulnerable to mines and torpedoes. The thing you mention might be a mine-sweeping device.

Gangut_battleship.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

The thing you mention is probably a mine-sweeping device.

It's related with paravanes. Many ships are modeled with paravanes stowed aboard, though only a few have the chains also modeled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are the same two holes and chain on the USS Missouri's forefoot. It's a paravane skeg.

Untitled.jpg

paranave-a-arma-esquecida-da-ii-guerra-2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW, the above ship is the original USS Missouri, the Maine-class battleship, BB-11.

lossy-page1-1024px-USS_Missouri_in_1912.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2