DeadlyYamatoSniperKillerWarrior

Nautic_Hunt

This is more in reference to the Assia server;

Is there a correlation between certain words in IGNs and not so good players?

Words such as;

Yamato

Sniper

Warrior 

Hero

Killer

Assassin

Fighter

Deadly

Edit - added Winner

any reference to an actual ship eg CVN... etc

any reference to ANY historical figure, especially Erwin Rommel and Yamamoto

Do these words attract mouth breathers or are MM and RNG rigged against most of them because of those words and they end up looking bad?

Discuss, and add any extras.

Edited by Nautic_Hunt
  • Like 2

A common legend states that all the IGN naming preferences you mentioned tend to imply mediocre players and in APAC, and clan tags using abbreviations of countries/regions/navies are also considered as such.

Perhaps due to the relationship between naming reasoning to how are the players in real life, and in turn to how they would treat and play the game (on issues like how one treat the game and should one get better in game).

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Nautic_Hunt said:

Words such as;

Yamato

Sniper

Warrior 

Hero

Killer

Assassin

Fighter

Deadly

Do these words attract mouth breathers or are MM and RNG rigged against most of them because of those words and they end up looking bad?

Confirmed

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

A common legend states that all the IGN naming preferences you mentioned tend to imply mediocre players and in APAC, and clan tags using abbreviations of countries/regions/navies are also considered as such.

Perhaps due to the relationship between naming reasoning to how are the players in real life, and in turn to how they would treat and play the game (on issues like how one treat the game and should one get better in game).

Holds true for ANZNC on Asia. 

A div of them in tier Xs is as much an instaloss as an ARP Yamato

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Nautic_Hunt said:

A div of them in tier Xs is as much an instaloss as an ARP Yamato

This leads to the question of what on earth motivated those veteran players with horrible WR/PR. Clearly not "winning" itself.

1 minute ago, Project45_Opytny said:

This leads to the question of what on earth motivated those veteran players with horrible WR/PR. Clearly not "winning" itself.

There's a guy I'm chatty with who has 60k battles. 45% w/r but he measures his success by how many tier X boats he has. Blames 'campers' for his low win rate. (nothing to do with his abysmal av dmg of course)

• Thanks 3

I think there was a similar discussion years ago, either on the EU WoWS or WoT forum. I don't remember if anyone ever provided anything more than anecdotal evidence for it. If entirely consistent with reality, my username should be something along those lines as well...

Yours truly,

MarshalAdmiral_HeinzSuperTomato

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nautic_Hunt said:

[excerpted]

Confirmed for NA as well.

I wouldnt say ANY historical figure, but absolutely any better known Wehrmacht general. These folks are heavier to carry than Rodrigo Mendoza's armor in "The Mission".

Add Ninja, but that was kinda implied by the list. 

Star Trek references omw. 

Exceptions are rare but notable. 

Edited by Pugilistic
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Confirmed for NA as well.

I wouldnt say ANY historical figure, but absolutely any better known Wehrmacht general. (I have seen one exception who is very good). 

Add Ninja, but that was kinda implied by the list. 

I recall there was a Reddit post examining IGN words and performance (on big data levels). One result is that many accounts with "prpr" tend to be a bit better (short form of a Japanese onomatopoeia meaning "lick", used to show affection towards often anime waifu, indicating a young and more energetic gamer IRL).

I came across that post when the old official forums were still online and it has been lost to me by now.

I have also come across some excellent gamers that intentionally use IGN containing "noob", "potato", etc, and play awesomely or even posting trollish posts off the game (like "I am against the skill rework that will remove Survivalibity Expert from battleships, as then I can no longer have my Georgia firing blue tracers with 77700 HP").

• Like 3

The forum-posts and informal studies that I can remember reading seemed to indicate that a more creative and frivolous/humorous in-game-name tends to indicate the player is (on average) better than a player who is trying to borrow "stolen valor" by using words and names associated with power and historic events in their in-game-name.
😉 

Names like "InnocentFluffyBunnyKiss" are more likely to be deadly or at least might distract you with humor and temporarily impair your own good play?  😉 

• Like 3

I wonder if there is any correlation between historical IGN references and the age of the player? Older players with slower reflexes, hand/ eye coordination, etc., might have an affinity for such references while younger players might tend towards the more whimsical IGN’s?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The forum-posts and informal studies that I can remember reading seemed to indicate that a more creative and frivolous/humorous in-game-name tends to indicate the player is (on average) better than a player who is trying to borrow "stolen valor" by using words and names associated with power and historic events in their in-game-name.
😉 

Names like "InnocentFluffyBunnyKiss" are more likely to be deadly or at least might distract you with humor and temporarily impair your own good play?  😉 

There are indeed IGNs like "Pinkfluffyrabbit" after that famous joke.

And historical ships... for a number of younger gamers, it's more about the popular personification character than the actual historical ship herself.

1 minute ago, DDG44_Vet said:

I wonder if there is any correlation between historical IGN references and the age of the player? Older players with slower reflexes, hand/ eye coordination, etc., might have an affinity for such references while younger players might tend towards the more whimsical IGN’s?

I guess there is such a tendency.

• Like 2

Nop. This was my stats when I used to play WoT. Blue PR with nickname Rommel.

But probably mostly kids have rolemodels like in famous generals and admirals and they are much worse in wows then lets say in other games.

Why is it cool that genius players that use nicknames like WG pls buff this, WG pls nerf CVs, and so on, if they have purple stats I still consider them braindead and not funny.

Screenshot_20240303_142605_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eec9a07b7ebf2a406e082000c8ae603d.jpg

• Like 1

I’m named after a torpedo? Do I count?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Type_93 said:

Well, I wouldn't put you in the FluffyBunny category.  😉 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Nautic_Hunt said:

the Assia server

LOL. I have never played there but, I expect, some have. Clever 'spelling' mistake (someone is a sarcastic genius). 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Type_93 said:

No, thats a weapon 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Nop. This was my stats when I used to play WoT. Blue PR with nickname Rommel.

But probably mostly kids have rolemodels like in famous generals and admirals and they are much worse in wows then lets say in other games.

Why is it cool that genius players that use nicknames like WG pls buff this, WG pls nerf CVs, and so on, if they have purple stats I still consider them braindead and not funny.

A single data point proves or disproves nothing in this statistical argument.   The argument isn't "Are such names always used by worse players."  The argument is "Are such names used by poorer players on average?"

• Like 2

I found out that usually ( but not always ) the people with those names are even horrible in coop. I always imagined they are some 10-14 year old kids who wanted to have a " cool " sounding name.

Also, i would like to add " defender " and " invader " to the list.

• Like 1

Ok. I’m officially gonna change my IGN to either:

Fluffy_Bunny_Nimitz_Waifu

Rommels_potato_gun

Mr_Roboto_Yamamoto

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, KJ82 said:

Also, i would like to add " defender " and " invader " to the list.

👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nautic_Hunt said:

Words such as;

Yamato

Sniper

Warrior 

Hero

Killer

Assassin

Fighter

Deadly

Edit - added Winner

If you use Pr_Pr you have a 10% better WR on average

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

After nearly 800 battles on NA I recommitted myself to Assia, due to being invested in it but mainly the low server populasian for Oz primetime.

To keep it interesting and amusing, I'm changing my name every few weeks or so.

Ho_Chi_Minge was my favourite, until it got renamed after I posted on the WoT Assia forum (RIP)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

If you use Pr_Pr you have a 10% better WR on average

Those anime people freak me out a bit, but yes, a lot of them are very good@botes

• Like 1