Gneisenau Cpt buildout

Aethervox

I have 10 pts spent on Cpt so for 2nd  4 pt skill do I take CE? Is CE worth it for T7 BBs? 

3 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

I have 10 pts spent on Cpt so for 2nd  4 pt skill do I take CE? Is CE worth it for T7 BBs? 

It really depends on what mode you're playing with Gneisenau. She's one of my most played ships and let me say in random battles you'll want to do a bog standard BB build, however when it comes to ranked then you can forgor CE and go a brawling build because she has very nice secondaries for the tier.

What is bog standard BB build? Atm I use in Gneise PM, GtG, BoS & FPE. I really only play randoms - no longer bother with ranked

8 hours ago, Aethervox said:

What is bog standard BB build? Atm I use in Gneise PM, GtG, BoS & FPE. I really only play randoms - no longer bother with ranked

Attention @BOBTHEBALL

For Gneisenau I also mount MAM1, DCSM1, ASM1 & DCSM2. Would you change any of these?

1 minute ago, Aethervox said:

Is my build that bad? 

Not at all; just asking Bob to explain "BOG."  I'm sure you are not the only one unfamiliar with the term.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Aethervox said:

bog-standard

adjective

1. Ordinary, basic.
Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License • More at Wordnik

Bog standard

What's the meaning of the phrase 'Bog standard'?

Things which are 'bog standard' are those which are basic and unrefined - run of the mill.
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bog-standard.html

22 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Things which are 'bog standard' are those which are basic and unrefined - run of the mill.

OK, I'm not up on all slang terms but this one is a head scratcher, the idea of 'standard', as in a standard build is fully understandable. When it comes to 'bog' most would think of peat bog or swampy, etc. Just how 'bog' relates to standard is, frankly, illogical (&, also, to some, stupid). Surely, the letters b-o-g stand for three words?

1 hour ago, Aethervox said:

OK, I'm not up on all slang terms but this one is a head scratcher, the idea of 'standard', as in a standard build is fully understandable. When it comes to 'bog' most would think of peat bog or swampy, etc. Just how 'bog' relates to standard is, frankly, illogical (&, also, to some, stupid). Surely, the letters b-o-g stand for three words?

I provided quotes with links inside them, for further reading (if one were so inclined).  Otherwise you can do your own internet searching for additional information.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

On 2/29/2024 at 4:41 PM, Aethervox said:

The bog standard build is this:

image.thumb.png.f5bc394a5069e4fe0792ce00e08f23a1.png

And if you only play random battles with her I would choose something along these lines. The 1p skill can be changed though because German BB HE is horrendously bad, I would go PM if I was using Gneisenau in random battles.

As for your build currently, for 10p it's not that bad but I would go IRPR instead of BOS.

The upgrades you should go areL

Main arnaments mod 1 or Damage control party mod 1

Damage control system mod 1

Aiming systems mod 1

Damage control systems mod 2 or Propulsion mod 1

image.png.4a5c92fb82d3bb84ba6657221f1c8915.png

This is my Gnesienau, she used to be my most played ship in-game back when I was newer. I have a secondary spec build and captain because I would only use her for ranked or brawls.

Hope this helps!

- Boob 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Aethervox said:

For Gneisenau I also mount MAM1, DCSM1, ASM1 & DCSM2. Would you change any of these?

Just saw this, yep that's all good. For the final slot depending on your preference I'd go prop or damage control mod.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So, CE as next 4 pt skill is OK for Random battle play? Would IRPR & another 1 pt skill be better?

14 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

So, CE as next 4 pt skill is OK for Random battle play? Would IRPR & another 1 pt skill be better?

Sort of depends upon one's emphasis or intended play environment.
Since you mention random battles, I'll stick to that.

Improved Repair Party Readiness reduces the cooldown time by 0.8% and provides one additional charge for the Repair Party consumable.  (Cost = 3 skill points)
In a long game, this could be useful, espeically if I plan to tank a lot of damage.
But, it is a "conditional" skill.  Certain conditions need to be met for the benefits to activate.

Icon_perk_trigger_pot_dmg_dark.png

Improved Repair Party Readiness

3 Activated when the ship takes potential damage equal to 100% of its base HP. For each potential damage multiple:
−0.8% reload time of the Repair PartyWhile active, restores a percentage of the ship's health points each second. consumable.
After receiving 2M HP potential damage:
+1 charge of Repair PartyWhile active, restores a percentage of the ship's health points each second..
The effect increases with every multiple of base HP.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:List_of_Commander_Skills

Concealment Expert would bring my build's detection radius down to 13.7 km (from 15.2 km).  (Cost = 4 skill points)
If I was trying to be sneaky, or get closer to my opponents, this skill would be handy.
But, once I'm detected, or if I fire my main-guns, it won't matter much.
If I'm trying to fire salvos infrequently from long-range and remain undetected, I might take this skill.

But, wait a minute.  We're discussing the Gneisenau, which is a brawling battleship.
Her secondary battery guns are part of her damage-dealing tactics, along with her 6 km torpedoes.
Playing a Gneisenau at long-range and using only the main-guns with their wonky dispersion is perhaps an unreliable method of dealing damage to red-team ships.
🤔

If one plans to remain at medium to long range, and plans to spend 4 skill points, I'd consider the Emergency Repair Expert skill to be more reliable, because it doesn't require conditions to be satisfied in order to provide its benefits.

Decisions, decisions.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

We're discussing the Gneisenau, which is a brawling battleship.

I will have to look a the Secondary range.

20 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Decisions, decisions.  Yes, perhaps I need to revise my Cpt skills for Gneisenau.

19 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'd consider the Emergency Repair Expert skill to be more reliable

Perhaps, I should build that.

20 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

secondary battery guns are part of her damage-dealing tactics

Yes, I do prefer battling mid range really (or short range).

All things considered, I should re-assess the skills I'm working on - this Cpt will advance up the line.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'd consider the Emergency Repair Expert skill

K, I revised my Gneisenau Cpt skills to ERS, Vig, LRSB & FPE. I still have 4 pts left. AR or ERE? What do you think would be better thinking I will get Bismarck soon. 

Edited by Aethervox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Yes CE is totally and completely a good idea! So would IRPR, here is what I would run for Gneisenau in random battles. I will provide a screenshot of a 21p commander and you can see what skills to choose first with the little numbers in the corner of the selected skill box. I will also provide a build for ranked if you ever need one.

image.png.1165726d3a005c0ba5f9622af41cd308.png

You can see for random battles, it's quite a bog standard build. Gneisenau can actually survive quite a lot, she is a durable ship. And her guns for the tier are quite punchy if I am honest. This gives you the best options for survivability and because you have the torpedoes you can still brawl if needed.

image.png.f125e99980c78602bf5c72cb890bbe2f.png

As you can see this is a much more aggressive build, perfect for closer in game-modes. Boosting the power of the guns, if you wish to instead boost secondary accuracy you can. However I feel like the guns are much more better for damage output.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions please ask!

- Boob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Aethervox said:

K, I revised my Gneisenau Cpt skills to ERS, Vig, LRSB & FPE. I still have 4 pts left. AR or ERE? What do you think would be better thinking I will get Bismarck soon. 

I think that testing by playing on the Public Test Server would be ideal, because of the low costs to train and re-train commanders and to acquire and re-equip ships until one is satisfied.

If that is not feasible, then play in random battles according to your intended doctrines for the ship.

The Bismarck does not have torpedoes.  So she brawls with guns, only.  And her play style is similar to your intentions.

Edited to add:  I don't use Adrenaline Rush.  I tend to use sec-bat builds with my BB's.
A few patches ago, fires became easier to set upon my ships (or at least that was my perception, especially when playing in scenarios), so I tend to get Fire Prevention within my first 10 skill points.
After that, either Concealment Expert or further development of the Secondary Battery skills or Emergency Repair Expert to gain the additional Repar Party charge for long-game survival purposes.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Aethervox said:

AR is a mandatory skill for nearly ever build in the game insofar as PvP is concerned.

• Thanks 1