Smaland Help

Jakeshuffle

I beg of you, please help me not to suck with this amazing ship! I honestly have no freaking clue what I'm doing wrong with it. I play really well in Black and Gdansk, but can't for the life of me play well with the Smaland when everyone and their mother says it's an amazing ship.

I'm no expert on Småland (GZ on acquiring it!), but first let us know how used to you are to high tiers on a DD that lacks the smoke generator, and, in general, do you go more for torpedo builds or gunboats?

• Like 1

Perhaps @Type_93 or @Your_SAT_Score could offer some assistance or point you in the right direction.  I would offer my two cents, but I really prefer the Halland (torp) focus, whereas the Smaland is more of a gunboat destroyer and presents a different play style.  Plus I put much faith in what they may offer you as advice.

Also @BOBTHEBALL can more than likely add to the discussion.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks...

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I beg of you, please help me not to suck with this amazing ship! I honestly have no freaking clue what I'm doing wrong with it. I play really well in Black and Gdansk, but can't for the life of me play well with the Smaland when everyone and their mother says it's an amazing ship.

Lets start with what game-mode, captain skills and ship upgrades you have.

• Like 2

I was using the default layout on The Sheet with Jerzy Swirski, just switched to the second layout to try something new. I mostly play in Randoms

The Sheet TM

image.thumb.png.d94c11de418c9696692798f5eb9c8ad4.png

My current Jerry Boy layout

image.thumb.png.857677d7bb6bd70a0f7c71a1704e6e19.png

Current Mounted stuff.

image.thumb.png.189cf92487cdd35f084f3854f92f450b.png

Edited by Jakeshuffle

8 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I'm no expert on Småland (GZ on acquiring it!), but first let us know how used to you are to high tiers on a DD that lacks the smoke generator, and, in general, do you go more for torpedo builds or gunboats?

Traditionally I do gunboat, I'm definitely struggling not having the smoke generator. I am not the best at thinking ahead in the game yet. My first T10 was Halland but then I switched to Gdansk line that came out right after.

Edited by Jakeshuffle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I was using the default layout on The Sheet with Jerzy Swirski, just switched to the second layout to try something new. I mostly play in Randoms

The Sheet TM

image.thumb.png.d94c11de418c9696692798f5eb9c8ad4.png

My current Jerry Boy layout

image.thumb.png.857677d7bb6bd70a0f7c71a1704e6e19.png

Current Mounted stuff.

image.thumb.png.189cf92487cdd35f084f3854f92f450b.png

I'd try going for a full DD hunter build, it'll allow you to influence the game much more. It'd look something like this.

image.png.337e30d50bd47cf9479d81c8f472cfc3.png

The reason why I dropped CE is because with the concealment module you have 6.8km conceal and 7.5km radar which means you have stealth radar. Also maximizing you DPM for those DD on DD engagements are also the best choice imo.

• Like 1

I don’t have a Smalland. Fight kiting away, use cover with radar. If you’re going DD hunting you still need to pay attention to the mini map. 

6 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

The reason why I dropped CE is because with the concealment module you have 6.8km conceal and 7.5km radar

I'll give it a shot! Should I be popping radar when I'm spotted then if I think it's a DD? If I think it's a sub I almost don't bother.

50 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I'll give it a shot! Should I be popping radar when I'm spotted then if I think it's a DD? If I think it's a sub I almost don't bother.

I think if the sub is submerged, you'd just be wasting your radar. If you take Bob's advice you will have RDF. When you have RDF in sub interactions and the sub is closest to you, the RDF will point at the sub. When the sub dives, the RDF will immediately point at the next closest target. Unless they happen to be aligned in the same bearing you should detect that change if you are paying attention.

• Like 1

Okay so...I'm not going to auto give you this Victory lol but here's how the next match went.

I bullied the DD out of the point

Sunk 3 ships

120k spotting damage

Edited by Jakeshuffle
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I think if the sub is submerged, you'd just be wasting your radar. If you take Bob's advice you will have RDF. When you have RDF in sub interactions and the sub is closest to you, the RDF will point at the sub. When the sub dives, the RDF will immediately point at the next closest target. Unless they happen to be aligned in the same bearing you should detect that change if you are paying attention.

I was thinking "patience is key here" on holding off on using the radar by a few seconds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Type_93 said:

Fight kiting away, use cover with radar. If you’re going DD hunting you still need to pay attention to the mini map. 

The mini-map, as suggested, especially in DDs, is really important.  Personally, in-game, I use it a lot - not only to see where red ships are but also their last position. Knowing their last position and anticipating their next move while they are dark can save your aft.  Also, many keep their mini-map the size of a postage stamp - use your "+" key and expand it.  I have mine as big as possible.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

The mini-map, as suggested, especially in DDs, is really important.  Personally, in-game, I use it a lot - not only to see where red ships are but also their last position. Knowing their last position and anticipating their next move while they are dark can save your aft.  Also, many keep their mini-map the size of a postage stamp - use your "+" key and expand it.  I have mine as big as possible.  

After my mods and mini map as big as possible I don't have much room to admire the map anyways.

Edited by Jakeshuffle
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I bullied the DD out of the point

Sunk 3 ships

120k spotting damage

Well, that is a very good start.  What mods are you currently running (we may have suggestions to add or delete.  Also, could you provide an in-game screenshot?  Just by looking, we may be able to give you some additional suggestions.

It does, however, seem like you are heading in a positive direction 👍!

13 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Yeah it's really simple really. If you're spotted, pop radar. Bend over and smash whoever is spotted. Then run away and heal up to do it again.

12 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Also, could you provide an in-game screenshot?  Just by looking, we may be able to give you some additional suggestions.

I use Aslan's mod. I most definitely utilize the submarine additions too.

current mods.jpg

Edited by Jakeshuffle

5 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I use Aslan's mod. I most definitely utilize the submarine additions too.

current mods.jpg

Everything looks in order here, very good to see!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

WeeGee sent me an update on my performance in the past 30 days and I had a nice bump in my winrate. Thank you all for the advice! I'll forever be telling myself "Patience Jakeshuffle" during matches but that's how it goes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

WeeGee sent me an update on my performance in the past 30 days and I had a nice bump in my winrate. Thank you all for the advice! I'll forever be telling myself "Patience Jakeshuffle" during matches but that's how it goes.

Congratulations @Jakeshuffle.  Very happy about your improvement.