Secondary BB suggestions.

Rollingonit

I have retired my GA after 1k games. I no longer keep up with ship releases. Any suggestions for newish T9-T10 secondary BBs?

Is the Sicilia any good? The Rhode Island? (RI unobtainable, but if good would consider it when it is obtainable) Maybe just get the Ohio?

I have the Iwami and Pomm, and all the tech tree germans so looking for something diff. Maybe the Meckleburg? 

Any of these comparable to the GA?

• Like 1

Sicilia's secondaries are much better on paper than in practice. High DPM because of high SAP alpha, but slowish reload, no fires and chance of bouncing, and no improved dispersion, so you're re relying on luck more than anything. Still better than Colombo's secondaries though.

RI is an exact copy pasta of Georgia's secondaries. Ohio's are better because faster reload, double the fire chance and better ballistics.

Meck has similar secondaries to GK, but has worse belt armor and health, so outside of co-op or brawling game modes, you're probably better off not using them.

The best secondary ships among T9-10 are Rupperecht, Schlieffen (pen, range, accuracy), and maybe Navarin (T9 Soviet BB with large number of accurate 130s with improved range)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

snip

Hmm, maybe ill just get the Ohio. Never heard the Navarin, till take a look at that one too. Appreciate the breakdown.

3 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Hmm, maybe ill just get the Ohio. Never heard the Navarin, till take a look at that one too. Appreciate the breakdown.

have you got the atlantico? if so that is a fun secondary BB.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

Ohio isn't good for secondary builds, she has boosted secondaries but you don't have the armor or speed to make use of them really. The speed will get you killed trying to push with secondaries cause you cannot disengage if you mess up or your team doesn't back you all the way.

Edit:

I'm going to clarify the above a bit more, as there is a bit more to it that I feel is important to the discussion at hand for those considering Ohio. The opinion above was formed after I did 10 battles with a full secondary build and 10 with the recommended build(generally, it was popular on the old WoWs forum prior to the shutdown). Ohio is sold as secondary battleship sorta by WG, which I'd say is a lie. Most Ohios that you will see these days are running a playstyle generally in line with Montana. Instead of secondary mod in slot 3, your running MBM2 and fighting at about the 12-15km mark. Backline sniping can be done, but the floatiness of the shells makes it unreliable vs the range specified(Your basically going for citadel blow outs). Her secondaries can do significant damage when fully built for it due to their high accuracy and fire chance. However, the speed is extremely limiting and the weak 32-38mm deck armor causes problems. Often times in testing secondary battles often ended in one for ones at best, which isn't worth it generally outside of very late game or your team has basically already won.

There are two points that I'd like to address with Ohio:

Firstly, some would generally tell you that secondary brawling at tier IX-X isn't viable anyway, a waste of time. I disagree, secondary brawling has its place and can be extremely powerful if employed correctly(case and point: ranked and brawls secondary BBs dominate, anything without secondaries or some powerful gimmick isn't viable). Teams that push can often win if done properly, but the vast majority of players are too risk adverse, or lack the skill necessary, to execute effective pushes. Generally, its not that brawling is ineffective at high tiers, its that most teams aren't good enough to properly employ them. The effectiveness of a properly executed push with Brawling BBs can win games even at tier IX-X. I've seen it many times were even a good push(not a great one) won the game because the pressure was enough to force the other team to either play less effectively and make mistakes or simply because we prevented them from contesting caps at all.

Secondly, some will point out that: "Oh but MBT, Massachusetts is just as slow as Ohio and has the same armor, so Ohio should be just as effective." The difference between tier VIII and X is quite significant, Massachusetts speed isn't as much of a problem here as she isn't always facing off against ships significantly faster than she is. Ohio will get outrun by basically everything she could try to brawl with. In terms of armor protection, their both bad generally speaking but dealing with less spam at tier VIII when top tier or mid tier in Massachusetts gives her a bit of an edge(though citadel protection I'd instead go with Ohio). Massachusetts is arguably much better tier for tier than Ohio is when it comes to brawling.

When your looking for a good brawling BB, there are two things that you need to be a good brawler. 1) 50mm+ deck plating(ice breaker too hopefully), to avoid simply being HE spammed down trying to brawl. 2) improved range+dispersion, needed to be effective generally.

I'd recommend GK instead if your serious about secondary brawling, or even Mecklenburg.

Edited by MBT808
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

I have retired my GA after 1k games. I no longer keep up with ship releases. Any suggestions for newish T9-T10 secondary BBs?

Is the Sicilia any good? The Rhode Island? (RI unobtainable, but if good would consider it when it is obtainable) Maybe just get the Ohio?

I have the Iwami and Pomm, and all the tech tree germans so looking for something diff. Maybe the Meckleburg? 

The GK is still a Secondary monster, it just stinks in Randoms right now.

11 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

have you got the atlantico? if so that is a fun secondary BB.

I have heard the praises of that ship. Maybe.. I just prefer T8+

5 minutes ago, MBT808 said:

Ohio isn't good for secondary builds, she has boosted secondaries but you don't have the armor or speed to make use of them really. The speed will get you killed trying to push with secondaries cause you cannot disengage if you mess up or your team doesn't back you all the way.

I'd recommend GK instead if your serious about secondary brawling, or even Mecklenburg.

The speed of the GA is the thing I will have to readjust my thinking. 

9 minutes ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

The GK is still a Secondary monster, it just stinks in Randoms right now.

I find that mine is just too big, too visible, too slow, and tends to get set on fire too much to make it enjoyable to play much anymore.

The Schlieffen line is pretty much the only battleship line worth specializing into secondaries these days.

If you want to talk premiums, I'll yield the balance of my time to those who know more.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I find that mine is just too big, too visible, too slow, and tends to get set on fire too much to make it enjoyable to play much anymore.

That is true, however I am just too stubborn lol

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

when everyone is packing 120-150mm secondary guns

atlantico with its 234mm secondary guns

• Haha 1

Atlantico reminds me of Hamish vs Wallace rock throwing contest...

Who cares if your shell is bigger...can you hit something when it matters, in battle!

😉

5 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

No besides Schlieffen there's no new good secondary TT ships.

Scilia is good if you run main gun build, same as RI. Ohio is good but you don't go full secondary.

Mecklenburg isn't play with secondaries, the only good thing about her are the accuracy and quantity of her main guns. Otherwise she's not really worth it at all.

No not really, Ohio which would be the closest plays differently as well because she's tankier and doesn't have the speed to flank and spank.

Hope this helps!
-Boob

Navarin! In my eyes as good as her German contemporaries with great main guns and secondaries. 

Edited by OT2_2

11 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

If you can get Giuseppe Verdi, amazing secondary ship

12 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

The speed of the GA is the thing I will have to readjust my thinking. 

I enjoy sailing my Alsace, among other ships with secondary-battery builds.  Lately my Brandenburg-B has been silly fun in Scenario Operations.

Does anyone do secondary builds on the Japanese BBs? Amagi through Yamato seem to have a lot of secondary guns. I don't have strong enough captains to try it out yet.

2 minutes ago, palestreamer said:

Does anyone do secondary builds on the Japanese BBs? Amagi through Yamato seem to have a lot of secondary guns. I don't have strong enough captains to try it out yet.

Poor accuracy. Those guns will never hit anything.

On paper they have good pen, good damage, etc...but without improved accuracy, they aren't worth the specialization.

14 hours ago, Rollingonit said:

Sicilia is good   but columbo is better with SAP as her main guns .  if you do a secondary build on her  i suggest you put the heavy AP  shells commander skill on her also 

most players will go for the german line 

here is my Sicilia build 

shot-24.02.25_07.33.00-0775.jpg

shot-24.02.25_07.33.09-0939.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, palestreamer said:

Yes, I have either a full or a partial sec-bat build on many of my Japanese BB's.

Edited to add:  The Mutsu is fun when she gets close enough to opposing ships.  The Kii, too.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, palestreamer said:

Does anyone do secondary builds on the Japanese BBs?

Absolutely. Well, it's probably more accurate to describe my builds as semi-manly, rather than full manly. I should be clear though that all my BBs live in Coop or Ops, where 'fun' builds can be got away with - they're usually a really bad idea against real people...

• Like 1

The other note to make  is how  a player plays not just a BB but other classes as well . 

theres no point building a BB for secondaries if you dont plan to get in close .

it all depends on each players playstyle as everyone is uniquely different 

50 minutes ago, Gaelic_knight said:

if you dont plan to get in close

Sorry, you've lost me. What is this "don't plan to get in close" of which you speak?!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Absolutely. Well, it's probably more accurate to describe my builds as semi-manly, rather than full manly. I should be clear though that all my BBs live in Coop or Ops, where 'fun' builds can be got away with - they're usually a really bad idea against real people...

Yeah, real people are no fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, palestreamer said:

No it's not worth it at all, they all have amazing main guns and quite bad secondaries. It'd be a massive waste just go a normal build.

• Like 2