Do Takeo Kurita and Karel Doorman have any special skills (or they are just famous names but ordinary commanders)?

Leo_Apollo11

Ordinary commanders with historical name and portrait.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

In other words, eye candy.

• Like 3

Hi all,

25 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

15 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

In other words, eye candy.

Real shame and wasted opportunity... 😞

Leo "Apollo11"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Real shame and wasted opportunity... 😞

Yeah. Well, at least I can put Kurita on my Yamato and then imagine that he was just plucked out of the water and then transferred his flag to the battleship.

• Haha 3

It makes you wonder what in the heck are they thinking???  A worthless reward for several hours of grinding  -  does what positively....???

Several of us older players have suspended all spending.  Consign ourselves to Part Time play and have cut back 75 to 90% of our play (only Ops at night in many cases....!!!)

THEIR LOSS MATE.......  You reap what you sow. 

Oh Boy, talk about shooting one's self in the foot !!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I imagine if WG decided to give them enhanced skills we would have this thread complaining about WG locking an objectively better commander behind a time gated semi intense grind event? I know I would be annoyed, even if I'm well on track to unlock them. Having unobtainable event limited commanders which are direct upgrades is not good for the game, lmao (See Ovechkin if you need more proof.)

I'm glad I have no obligation to try to unlock these commanders and be forced to debate which one would be better from a gameplay perspective. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The grind for these captains isn't even that hard for any veteran or seasoned player with ability to put few hours of normal gaming in for week or two out of 20 days available.

Sure it's grind you have to do, but it's not prohibitely so, nor locked behind asinine requirements that could potentially punish people without just the right and correct ships that these Two Admiral historically commanded.

And finally, we already have dozens upon dozens, if not hundred, of regular captains who just have historic name and picture for flauvor, so it's no major bone there either

• Peter I
  • Statue of Liberty
  • British Industrial Captains
  • German Folk tales Captains
  • Meridia
  • Leeroy Jenkins
  • Etc. Etc.

I absolutely get the point about WedGie missing an opportunity here for few small perk buffs to honour these two men, but I have a counterpoint courtesy of quote from Syndrome (Incredibles 2004)

"When everyone is super, No One Is."

Edited by aleksi111
  • Like 3

The only thing that erks me about this event is the only way to get both commanders is the mega expensive super duper bundle. Just nope. Not happening. The free 6 point version is a "easy walk in the park."

Edited by UnderTheRadarAgain
  • Like 3

I also think its a bit of a missed opportunity to not implement more Legendary Captains and Seasoned into the game to add another interesting layer to Captain build for ships. Which commander do you want to put on each ship for what boosters etc.

I also wonder why the Hockey player captain (cant remember his name) isn't available for Coal or Dabloons in the Armory just like all the rest of the Legendary and Seasoned?! I missed out on getting him during that event and seem to remember him having some good upgrades. Who wants just another boring Dasha with no speciality?!

• Like 2

Well, Peter at least has a special voice that makes him extremely annoying in battle. Mostly annoying to yourself, though, but you can always use the message options to piss off everyone else as well.

Got the Dutch bloke wasnt much of a grind🤟

Not that I need him, but as said in a different thread got no love for Kurita san. What would his special abilities be if he was given some by weegee?

‘A ship under Kurita san cannot bi sunk in this battle, but will for sure be sunk in the next, even more pointless one?’😁

’Firing main guns makes you actually do a gamer turn and one wakes up in Yokosuka, minus ones katana&wazirashi’ 🤟

4 hours ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

The only thing that erks me about this event is the only way to get both commanders is the mega expensive super duper bundle. Just nope. Not happening. The free 6 point version is a "easy walk in the park."

I also feel that it’s a bit of a wasted opportunity regarding Doorman. The Dutch still don’t have a special commander along the lines of Halsey, Yamamoto, etc.

3 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I also wonder why the Hockey player captain (cant remember his name) isn't available for Coal or Dabloons in the Armory just like all the rest of the Legendary and Seasoned?! I missed out on getting him during that event and seem to remember him having some good upgrades. Who wants just another boring Dasha with no speciality?!

It’s almost certainly due to issues surrounding WG’s permission to use Ovechkin’s likeness. These agreements are usually only applicable for a defined period of time. WG theoretically could make the content available again, but it would require negotiating new terms.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I also feel that it’s a bit of a wasted opportunity regarding Doorman. The Dutch still don’t have a special commander along the lines of Halsey, Yamamoto, etc.

It’s almost certainly due to issues surrounding WG’s permission to use Ovechkin’s likeness. These agreements are usually only applicable for a defined period of time. WG theoretically could make the content available again, but it would require negotiating new terms.

Yeah... I still haven't found a new cook for my Missouri.

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Yeah... I still haven't found a new cook for my Missouri.

The details of Seagal’s transformation into John Doe have always been murky. While WG has always claimed they had to change the voice and portrait due to losing permissions, there has always been speculation that it was a decision made solely by Lesta because of other issues. The fact that other partnership/collaboration content (including Ovechkin) has remained in game (just no longer obtainable) certainly seems to suggest that there was more to it than what was given in the official account.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 3

Im always amazed by the 10-minute monologue you get outa the Dutch commanders at start of a battle. If there is anyone Dutch in here, what does the bloke say? He´s like talking forever.......

It would be nice if all the historical commanders got at least one enhanced skill or something as a nod to their history.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Darlith said:

It would be nice if all the historical commanders got at least one enhanced skill or something as a nod to their history.

Yes, that would be nice.

It would also be nice if all the different categorizations of the special commanders wouldn't be such a gawdawful mess.

7 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

The details of Seagal’s transformation into John Doe have always been murky. While WG has always claimed they had to change the voice and portrait due to losing permissions, there has always been speculation that it was a decision made solely by Lesta because of other issues. The fact that other partnership/collaboration content (including Ovechkin) has remained in game (just no longer obtainable) certainly seems to suggest that there was more to it than what was given in the official account.

Steven Seagal had some legal issues along with his public support for Putin and thus became too controversial. Also, most younger players are probably too young to remember that he was once an action movie star before he became a clown.

Edited by CFagan_1987

56 minutes ago, CFagan_1987 said:

Steven Seagal... younger players are probably too young to remember that he was once an action movie star before he became a clown.

When you become a character on South Park, you know that you are past your acting heyday. They didn't even caricature him.

st.png&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=d750726511a1150c07

• Haha 1

Earlier today, I completed the Java Sea event mission-chain and welcomed Karel Doorman to my Port.
I have relatively few Dutch Commanders and an abundance of Japanese Commanders.

18 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I also think its a bit of a missed opportunity to not implement more Legendary Captains and Seasoned into the game to add another interesting layer to Captain build for ships. Which commander do you want to put on each ship for what boosters etc.

There are four variations of Alexander Ovechkin.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Special_Commanders

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

There are four variations of Alexander Ovechkin.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Special_Commanders

Oh my. I only have 3 of them. I bought mine in the armoury when they were temporarily available for one of the many whaling events probably in late 2019 or 2020 some time. I can't remember exactly when. But I did buy 3 of them as a bundle. Wasn't cheap. Also got the permanent camo [Ice and Flame for Lexington] and a flag plus a couple of those emblems as well.

Edited by UnderTheRadarAgain

1 hour ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

Oh my. I only have 3 of them. I bought mine in the armoury when they were temporarily available for one of the many whaling events probably in late 2019 or 2020 some time. I can't remember exactly when. But I did buy 3 of them as a bundle. Wasn't cheap. Also got the permanent camo [Ice and Flame for Lexington] and a flag plus a couple of those emblems as well.

I only have one, currently the Captain of my Minnesota.

11 hours ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

Two of them (the standard American and Soviet officer versions) could be obtained for free back when the content first dropped in 2018 (can’t recall the exact details, but I didn’t pay for them). The “hockey player” and Halloween-themed “Czar Alexander” versions that are US/Soviet dual nation have always been locked behind a paywall in the Armory, IIRC.