"Pioneer" camo, worst in game?

Udjevtol

Recently I somehow got a permanent "Pioneer" camo. Always sold all the expendable ones but I figured I'd have to find a ship to put this one on. And in nearly every case it was an eyesore, worse to look at than no camo at all. No matter what ship type or nation. The least bad option seemed to be US ships where the dark grey deck appeared to somewhat break up and lessen the impact of the camo. To at best be a side grade compared to no camo for a few select ships in the game is a fail to me. Is the "Pioneer" camo the worst in the game or is there at least a few cases where it might actually shine? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Udjevtol said:

Is the "Pioneer" camo the worst in the game or is there at least a few cases where it might actually shine?

Flying Dutchman, the orange-colored highway cone at sea, says hold my beer.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't like it? Don't fit it! The selection in-store may be WG's choice, but what you dress your ships up in is yours alone. 

That being said: yes, some are even worse than the worst possible imaginings of Grandma's Christmas sweater. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

That bright pink one (Tokyo game show, I’m pretty sure) is also pretty blinding

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

imaginings of Grandma's Christmas sweater. 

At least Grandma made hers with love. I, seriously, doubt love has anything to do with what WG offers.

As to camos, #1) Wedgie still won't let us sell stuff we will never use & #2) use whatever camos look good to you, otherwise, leave your ship base 'grey'.

Everyone will have, I'm sure, plenty of entrants to the 'ugliest WG camo competition' * of them all.

* Maybe someone could organize this - maybe Wedgie could be sent the results 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HogHammer said:

Thanks!

While I don't imagine ever voluntarily selecting Flying Dutchman above other camos even in the orange themed department it does have a certain uncompromising, in your face quality to it.

• Haha 1

@Udjevtol

Welcome aboard!

Depending on whether you want others to see your camo or not, there's the option to download camo mods and use those. Downside is, no one will know, upside is that no one will know.

WG at least used to have among their WG merchandise some ugly items so you had the option to match your appearance to that of your ship's. Like the legendary festive ugly sweater:

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/wg-store-black-friday-2020/

• Like 1

You guys are going to make the WoWs person in charge of ugly camo sad. They have been working so hard to create garbage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, HogHammer said:

The Pinata themed Cleveland camo just walked in and said: "hold both my beers and Jäger shots....." 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gillhunter said:

You guys are going to make the WoWs person in charge of ugly camo sad. They have been working so hard to create garbage.

They should actually be happy. This thread seems something of a testament to their success.

In terms of sheer horror, I still think the 'extreme gastro-intestinal distress' cammo from Christmas a few years ago takes some beating; can't recall the name (my brain probably scabbed the memory over, in self-defence) - something to do with pine trees? It was green/red/white, possibly...?

Well the Biswmarck with a cathedral is a marvel too.
Just like Yami and its scorpion/crab...

At least, a long, long time a go in a far galaxy, camos had their utlity. Nowadays...

I don't know what kind of stuff WG' employees sniff, but this is something strong.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Verblonde said:

In terms of sheer horror, I still think the 'extreme gastro-intestinal distress' cammo from Christmas a few years ago takes some beating; can't recall the name (my brain probably scabbed the memory over, in self-defence) - something to do with pine trees? It was green/red/white, possibly...?

Frosty Fir Tree

White, green, and a turquoise/aquamarine kind of blue, no red. Gaudy anyway.

They had a white, green and red that was awful. Maybe was called Tequila Sunrise on Crack. Maybe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silence_CN said:

Just like Yami and its scorpion/crab...

Actually, the first ship, if within range, I target 🤣.

Oh, and don't forget about "Summer" - the camo that looks like a Hawaiian shirt - baby blue with palm trees.  

On 2/22/2024 at 9:57 AM, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

The Pinata themed Cleveland camo just walked in and said: "hold both my beers and Jäger shots....." 😉

On 2/22/2024 at 10:24 AM, Verblonde said:

2 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

They had a white, green and red that was awful. Maybe was called Tequila Sunrise on Crack. Maybe.

You are all referring to the “Vanguard”/“Type 12” camo, which were both very similar (the former being expendable, the latter being permanent):

image.thumb.jpeg.b2d14d1dab78728b23530c62c7240d6a.jpeg

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 5:56 PM, HogHammer said:

I kind of like the flying dutchman one, I probably wouldn't buy it because those prices are silly, but the orange doesn't bother me and I like the way it breaks up the lines of the ship.

For me the really bad ones are Tokyo Game Show, too busy, too many colors, and seems to tile horribly on the ship I examined it on. Vanguard because it makes me think of really bad christmas wrapping paper. And In rememberance of heroes, just don't care for that combo of colors with the mix of stripes and flowered print. Special mention to  Cartographic because that print just seems to look awful no matter what ship I tried it on.

9 hours ago, Silence_CN said:

Well the Biswmarck with a cathedral is a marvel too.

That camo has an awesome horn though, lol. Unless they changed it. Don't remember last time I played Bismarck.

1 minute ago, Colonel Potter said:

That camo has an awesome horn though, lol. Unless they changed it. Don't remember last time I played Bismarck.

Nope, it’s still the organ.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wrath_of_Deadguy said:

"New Year" has entered the chat...

NewYear.thumb.jpg.4a3878760b1a4194fee75cf4537d589c.jpg

I'm a fan of the New Year.   The shinny little lights look good on my Amagi and Tallinn.     And Ho Ho Ho!

On 2/21/2024 at 2:34 PM, Udjevtol said:

Recently I somehow got a permanent "Pioneer" camo. Always sold all the expendable ones but I figured I'd have to find a ship to put this one on. And in nearly every case it was an eyesore, worse to look at than no camo at all. No matter what ship type or nation. The least bad option seemed to be US ships where the dark grey deck appeared to somewhat break up and lessen the impact of the camo. To at best be a side grade compared to no camo for a few select ships in the game is a fail to me. Is the "Pioneer" camo the worst in the game or is there at least a few cases where it might actually shine? 

I really don't mind it too much, I put it on my GK and my Arizona even though they have camos already. It is a cool camo to get for PTS, otherwise if you don't like it, you don't have to equip it.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:58 PM, Udjevtol said:

Thanks!

While I don't imagine ever voluntarily selecting Flying Dutchman above other camos even in the orange themed department it does have a certain uncompromising, in your face quality to it.

That is why I do the Schoolbus Yellow camo on some of my ships, for that reason

On 2/22/2024 at 11:25 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

@Udjevtol

Welcome aboard!

Depending on whether you want others to see your camo or not, there's the option to download camo mods and use those. Downside is, no one will know, upside is that no one will know.

WG at least used to have among their WG merchandise some ugly items so you had the option to match your appearance to that of your ship's. Like the legendary festive ugly sweater:

https://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/general-news/wg-store-black-friday-2020/

Thanks!

Camo mods huh? I don't know about that... won't that kind of creative freedom result in overly curvaceous figureheads with oversized... features? Not that anyone would want that of course. Just asking. For a friend. 

23 hours ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

I really don't mind it too much, I put it on my GK and my Arizona even though they have camos already. It is a cool camo to get for PTS, otherwise if you don't like it, you don't have to equip it.

I placed it on the Dallas where it looked ok. Fairly seamless application, no clashes between feathers from different texture sheets and the dark grey deck did help. US cruisers seemed a decent fit overall. Not great but also not terrible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Udjevtol said:

Thanks!

Camo mods huh? I don't know about that... won't that kind of creative freedom result in overly curvaceous figureheads with oversized... features? Not that anyone would want that of course. Just asking. For a friend. 

Historical camo mods, that is.

@Scharnhorst43 Would know more, haven't seen him around much lately. I can reach him on Discord, though, if needed.

• Like 1