TRAITOR !!!!!!!!!!!!

tm63au

A sad Day in the annals of The Kriegsmarine 

shot-24_02.21_20_23.47-0059.thumb.jpg.e98f1134c15012f472007088e6440866.jpg

Edited by tm63au
  • Haha 4

Thomsen is a character of the movie "Das Boot" (the alcoholic captain at the beginning of the movie...)
No surprise he can be considered as a "traitor", being in an english submarine.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Silence_CN said:

Thomsen is a character of the movie "Das Boot" (the alcoholic captain at the beginning of the movie...)

Maybe he mistook it for a U boat in the dark? We need to hear both sides before judging anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Silence_CN said:

Maybe he has actually captured the Thrasher and is bringing it to Bremerhaven as a war prize.

• Haha 3

I'm very surprised to find people in a naval history forum who haven't watched Das Boot at least *twice*. I would make it compulsory, myself.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Which makes me wonder: what *are* the essential Naval movies?

Someone should compile a list of those. Also, they should make it era based, like WoWS should have been.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I'm very surprised to find people in a naval history forum who haven't watched Das Boot at least *twice*. I would make it compulsory, myself.

Probably because subs.

"REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

Edited by desmo_2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Probably because subs.

"REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!"

But you hardly see them in Das Boot.

2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Probably because subs.

True. Sadly, WoWS Sub gameplay contains absolutely none of the tension I expected from watching Das Boot. 

10 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Someone should compile a list of those. Also, they should make it era based, like WoWS should have been.

IMDB has one: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls026529469/

Very Anglo American, though. No "Yamato", for a start (one hell of an ending sequence, that) - and where's the Battleship Potemkin, ffs? Footage of actual Dreadnought era ships is unusual in movies, so it's worth watching for that (and on that note, The Battles of Coronel and the Falklands Islands, shot in the 1920s, has some amazing footage of WW1 ships at sea).  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tm63au said:

A sad Day in the annals of The Kriegsmarine 

Could you be more specific, please?

Yougottabemorespecific_AntManmoviememe_07-21-2023_.thumb.jpg.c95fe49e62ffb0095a98b8177d1c1f57.jpg 

9 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Down Periscope for the porpoises.

• Haha 2

On 2/22/2024 at 10:51 AM, invicta2012 said:

For me at least it came out 20 years before I was born so the interest isn't really there.

8 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

For me at least it came out 20 years before I was born so the interest isn't really there.

That's pretty basic, tbh.

Edited by invicta2012

2 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

I found Das Boot in the foreign film section of a Blockbuster Video Store, sometime during the late 1990's or early 2000's.

While it fills a niche in the War Movie category, I can understand how it struggles to gain widespread popularity.
1.  Limited distribution.
2.  Limited, if any, marketing (since its theatrical release)
3.  Limited word-of-mouth propagation.
4.  Rare to find in retail locations.  Might be accessible via various movie streaming services, nowadays?

18 hours ago, WES_HoundDog said:

+1
And I'd suggest "The Enemy Below" as well.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050356/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The are some adult situations in at least one of the War Movies that I'm familiar with.
For example, there's a rape scene and a subsequent suicide in the movie "In Harm's Way".

Obviously, not all war movies were made for children's entertainment.  Some are intended to be thought provoking.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:51 PM, invicta2012 said:

I found Das Boot exceptionally boring. Still almost fall asleep when I even think about watching it. Just not a movie for me I guess.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:52 PM, invicta2012 said:

Sink the Bismarck 1960 movie with Kenneth More and the incredibly beautiful Dana Wynter. Love a woman in uniform! 

Sink the Bismarck! (1960)

Edited by clammboy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

While it fills a niche in the War Movie category, I can understand how it struggles to gain widespread popularity.
1.  Limited distribution.
2.  Limited, if any, marketing (since its theatrical release)
3.  Limited word-of-mouth propagation.
4.  Rare to find in retail locations.  Might be accessible via various movie streaming services, nowadays?

https://www.justwatch.com/us/search?q=das boot

Hulu and Amazon, at least. There is the traditional reluctance in the US market to watch subtitled content, of course, which might be a reason. As for whether the film is too old; well, of course I don't think so (as I've already recommended a film from 1928). The only thing that dates the original series is the external scenes - the drama within the sub itself is pretty much peerless - very modern cinematography and use of steadicam (pretty rare in 1981/82). The two modern TV series don't really improve on it, even with all the modern production resource available. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Potter said:

I found Das Boot exceptionally boring. Still almost fall asleep when I even think about watching it. Just not a movie for me I guess.

That's a fair review. It does start slowly. But then I suppose that was the nature of submarine life. Slogging out to mid atlantic at 10 knots would be a bit wearing. 

On 2/21/2024 at 11:53 PM, WES_HoundDog said:

"It sounded like an explosion sir." Meanwhile everyone in a certain scene is desperately attempting to not breathe the fumes...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kynami said:
On 2/22/2024 at 2:53 AM, WES_HoundDog said:

"It sounded like an explosion sir." Meanwhile everyone in a certain scene is desperately attempting to not breathe the fumes...

"Spoilers"  😉 
giphy.gif