The player record for most players online was broken across the servers on the 19 Jan 2024.

Aragathor

So, looking through the player numbers on https://stats.wotapi.ru/stats/wows/eu/EU I have noticed that on the 19 Jan and 05 Feb this year, the active player numbers just skyrocketed on servers. I'm talking more players playing then at any point in time, setting a new record. Around 100k for both EU and ASIA, and 50k for NA. No change in MK/RU player numbers on those days.

Does anyone know or noticed anything weird on those days?

PS: Tried to ask that question on the WoWS reddit, but it seems I'm shadowbanned there.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

So, looking through the player numbers on https://stats.wotapi.ru/stats/wows/eu/EU I have noticed that on the 19 Jan and 05 Feb this year, the active player numbers just skyrocketed on servers. I'm talking more players playing then at any point in time, setting a new record. Around 100k for both EU and ASIA, and 50k for NA. No change in MK/RU player numbers on those days.

Does anyone know or noticed anything weird on those days?

PS: Tried to ask that question on the WoWS reddit, but it seems I'm shadowbanned there.

so much for a dead game.

maybe beacouse it was start of the clan battles?

Is that for World of Tanks?

It seems incorrect for WoWS, which this forum is all about.

16 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

so much for a dead game.

maybe beacouse it was start of the clan battles?

Those surges are data artifacts, likely glitches in the API system because they occur on both the EU and NA servers at exactly the same time. However, the overall WOWS player population is relatively stable.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing more then glitches in the software, tehre where never so many online.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wulf_Ace said:

so much for a dead game.

Not a dead game......a stalled, mature game without anywhere to grow....  Just like dozens of other mature, stalled games, if you played them and visit them 5 or more years later in their forums, you'll see the same game/forum names saying the same things - over and over and over again.

"Mostly dead" is how many of us categorize this game....  Now, if Miracle Max makes some chocolate covered anti-mostly dead pills, there is some hope.......

5 hours ago, Bai7200 said:

Nothing more then glitches in the software, tehre where never so many online.

Possibly, but they could be for unique players rather than simultaneous players, which is what we see in the client.

Still, sounds kinda high.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asym said:

Not a dead game......a stalled, mature game without anywhere to grow....  Just like dozens of other mature, stalled games, if you played them and visit them 5 or more years later in their forums, you'll see the same game/forum names saying the same things - over and over and over again.

"Mostly dead" is how many of us categorize this game....  Now, if Miracle Max makes some chocolate covered anti-mostly dead pills, there is some hope.......

also only mature players play it haha

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Possibly, but they could be for unique players rather than simultaneous players, which is what we see in the client.

Still, sounds kinda high.

Another hypothesis for the simultaneous data surges would be that WG was testing its servers to see how many "players" it could insert before they crashed. You might note that these surges are not seen on the now independent Russian server but are on the still WG-controlled Asian server.

Asian:

Untitled.jpg

Russian:

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 2

On the day in January we all in EU and NA had serious login troubles and the 100000 players could only be a data glitch. There were some forum posts about this.

• Like 1

Perhaps they did count the piles of bots they have out there in all kinds of battle ... 

• Haha 1

or all the fake  and old accounts that no one uses anymore to be sailing around in the game  @OT2_2

• Like 1

Another thing that some of you may have noticed. All of the servers were down around the 7th of December and afterwards all of them started reporting a consistently higher numbers of online players. It's mere speculation as to why this is but it's definitely not organic; that is, there wasn't the same increase of players for all servers just because the same amount of old players on all servers decided to come back to the game at exactly the same time, or all servers got the same amount of new players at exactly the same time. This is data manipulation of some sort.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Another thing I find interesting is this notch on the Asian server's numbers.

Untitled.jpg

What is happening in Asia at exactly 0415 every day?

Untitled.jpg

Probably what Snarg is saying. Some glitch in the server. The december increasing wouldnt be too out of norm, as more people get closer to holiday time off/vacation. You can see on steam this past year, Dec saw a noticeable increase (edit: it could just be related to the event I mention below)

Steamcharts has some weird spikes as well, but they dont really correlate with the WG API. One of the spikes I know was related to a steam event, where you could get $5 of steam credit. Bots probably went wild on that day. 

mew.JPG

Edited by Rollingonit
  • Like 1

Re above:

Note that the NA and EU servers, while they don't have a definite notch as does the Asian server, still have a slight dip in the daily ramp-up of player numbers at about the same time each day as well.

Again, until "active" players are defined... that stat is only good relative to itself and not terribly meaningful compared to more "factual" stats such as total games played.

It should also be noted that, despite promises to fixed last fall, there are still some major housekeeping issue going on with the game API as surprising number of new ships still do not have proper entries in the API database which is making a lot of the numbers look wonky. 

It's not enough to really throw off the numbers but they are less accurate than they should be.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Again, until "active" players are defined...

Hmm... That's got me to thinking. Perhaps the "notch" is the server being cleared of players who are logged on but haven't been active for a while. It would be easier to clear inactive players periodically, say about the time the crates reset, than to track each individual account and kick them off of the server after a certain personal time of inactivity.

9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

mm... That's got me to thinking. Perhaps the "notch" is the server being cleared of players who are logged on but haven't been active for a while. It would be easier to clear inactive players periodically, say about the time the crates reset, than to track each individual account and kick them off of the server after a certain personal time of inactivity.

If I recall, WG did a recent deletion (purge) of accounts (in-game names with no games) in an effort to free up in-game names.  I think that was a few months ago.  Now how that would cause a spike, I don't know...well above my pay grade.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Re above:

Note that the NA and EU servers, while they don't have a definite notch as does the Asian server, still have a slight dip in the daily ramp-up of player numbers at about the same time each day as well.

This little dip, and I'm guessing here, could be that at a certain time in the day, usually very early in the morning (the wee hours), they (WoWs) will do a "server transfer".  I've been on the NA and EU servers, and when finishing a battle, I get transferred to another server (same region and I'm guessing they mirror servers for maintenance).  This has happened to me between 4 and 5 in the morning if I'm crazy enough to log in at those times.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

If I recall, WG did a recent deletion (purge) of accounts (in-game names with no games) in an effort to free up in-game names.  I think that was a few months ago.  Now how that would cause a spike, I don't know...well above my pay grade.

I wouldn't mind seeing a purge of accounts that have been inactive for years too. WOWS Stats and Numbers has a nice leaderboard but it's cluttered with players who haven't played the game for years. To assess which accounts actually are still actively playing the game takes a considerable amount of time as you have to dig through each account and look at their recent games.

Of course, the problem with purging old accounts would be just how long should a player remain inactive before an account is purged from the system? I sometimes don't play the game for three to six months at a stretch, especially in the summer when I'm outside all day. WOWS is sort of a winter/inclement weather activity for me.

Edited by Snargfargle

Even if they don’t do a purge I always thought it would be beneficial to segment players stats so you have an account win rate but also a win rate by year, quarter or month to get a better read on what recent leaderboards or recent performance looks like. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SpyderG6 said:

Even if they don’t do a purge I always thought it would be beneficial to segment players stats so you have an account win rate but also a win rate by year, quarter or month to get a better read on what recent leaderboards or recent performance looks like. 

Welcome aboard!

image.jpeg.e19c6b8d888bca5609374c718726fd66.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Another thing that some of you may have noticed. All of the servers were down around the 7th of December and afterwards all of them started reporting a consistently higher numbers of online players. It's mere speculation as to why this is but it's definitely not organic; that is, there wasn't the same increase of players for all servers just because the same amount of old players on all servers decided to come back to the game at exactly the same time, or all servers got the same amount of new players at exactly the same time. This is data manipulation of some sort.

Untitled.jpg

Dec. 7 is when 12.11 dropped with all the Christmas loot.  It's no surprise that everyone rushed to see what was under the tree.

• Like 3