Support CV playing as a actual support CV .............. say Whaaaaaat!

OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

An interesting take on how to play support CVs, go figure.

It comes to no surprise that only CV line that seems to be un-effected by Essex is ...... drum roll ..... Russian!

Imagine if this was the way all CV lines worked in the game? Some striking ability but mostly there for supporting the team effort and playing the objective. Smoking up those who actually take risks and are engaged in combat but need to retreat and heal up.

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 3

My countryman is really much better player than I ever will be, but there is is a common denominator.

That being me looking like Lt.Mumbley while looking and hoping for a nice wows match, without dildo galore preferably.😁

• Confused 1

To bad fighter drops/plane kills and smoke drops wont give XP, soon spotting wont give CV's XP either. Will less strike capability how will a CV get XP?

Will WG give CV's the inflated xp ratio that subs get?

I have Yorktown, use it in OPs, its not great in OPs....useable and can contribute like Hornet but not great like Kaga.

I can imagine how ineffective, damage wise, Yorktown would be in a battle mostly populated by T10's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

An interesting take on how to play support CVs, go figure.

It comes to no surprise that only CV line that seems to be un-effected by Essex is ...... drum roll ..... Russian!

Imagine if this was the way all CV lines worked in the game? Some striking ability but mostly there for supporting the team effort and playing the objective. Smoking up those who actually take risks and are engaged in combat but need to retreat and heal up.

Flambass only now discovering what other CV players figured-out during the testing phases, back when other CV's could drop minefields? 

8 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Flambass only now discovering what other CV players figured-out during the testing phases, back when other CV's could drop minefields? 

Lol what like 2 of them because I don't see it although maybe I would not notice it in a surface ship in battle. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hipcanuck said:

To bad fighter drops/plane kills and smoke drops wont give XP, soon spotting wont give CV's XP either. Will less strike capability how will a CV get XP?

I have Yorktown, use it in OPs, its not great in OPs....useable and can contribute like Hornet but not great like Kaga.

I can imagine how ineffective, damage wise, Yorktown would be in a battle mostly populated by T10's.

Well this is interesting, im no expert in what gives what these days, but Flambino didn't do much damage in a T10 game and still got 3:rd place, which isn't bad in a T10 game .... and he did most teambased stuff.

So maybe the XP is actually on target for once?!

5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well to be fair, he was part of the big CC walkout so he is pretty much like all us "normal" players as in he doesn't get to see things in advance, so .... yeah.... he figures this out now like most of us regular players. Still want to highlight a Super Unicum actually use this playstyle (like it was intendent) and not like most others.

Would be great to see a shift in playstyles of CVs ... but of course we wont ... because damage farming is cooler..

14 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:
5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Well to be fair, he was part of the big CC walkout so he is pretty much like all us "normal" players as in he doesn't get to see things in advance, so .... yeah.... he figures this out now like most of us regular players. Still want to highlight a Super Unicum actually use this playstyle (like it was intendent) and not like most others.

Would be great to see a shift in playstyles of CVs ... but of course we wont ... because damage farming is cooler..

The CV's that were equipped with planes that could drop smokescreens or drop mines (different CV's, each) were in public testing, both on the PTS and the live sever, in the past.
So any normal player could have tested them months ago.
One didn't need to be a CC or among the non-disclosure-agreement-tester personnel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The CV's that were equipped with planes that could drop smokescreens or drop mines (different CV's, each) were in public testing, both on the PTS and the live sever, in the past.
So any normal player could have tested them months ago.
One didn't need to be a CC or among the non-disclosure-agreement-tester personnel.

I dont think Flambass cares enough to go on the test servers these day (why should he?!), I know I haven't for the past 4 years. Why be an un-paid test employee to WG for some shitty flags and camos, if they dont even gonna use the date collected on the test server .... or by Supertesters for that matter?!

They dont even let you test the cool things on the test server, like for instance now the new upcoming cruiser line that are supposed to counter subs.

So, I just wanna spotlight a streamer that actually used the support CVs like they were supposed to ... and got a decent result and a win. But I have zero confidence any other will play it like that, still nice to see though.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I dont think Flambass cares enough to go on the test servers these day (why should he?!), I know I haven't for the past 4 years. Why be an un-paid test employee to WG for some shitty flags and camos, if they dont even gonna use the date collected on the test server .... or by Supertesters for that matter?!

They dont even let you test the cool things on the test server, like for instance now the new upcoming cruiser line that are supposed to counter subs.

So, I just wanna spotlight a streamer that actually used the support CVs like they were supposed to ... and got a decent result and a win. But I have zero confidence any other will play it like that, still nice to see though.

Your heart is in the right place when you share stuff like this. 
And you (and Flambass) may have missed the earlier opportunities to test these ships. 
Which indicates that others may have missed the same opportunities, for various reasons.

As for the "(why should he?!)" question?  Well, simply put, to stay informed.
He makes a living being some sort of guru for gaming knowledge. 
He and his fan-base have opinions and preferences about WG/WOWs as a game and a gaming company. 
One would hope those opinions are formed from facts and 'hands-on' play experience, eh?  🙂 

Possibly he had other stuff on his figurative plate, and only now got around to exploring these CV's?  🙂 
Honestly, I don't know and don't really care.  I'm not a Flambass fan and don't follow his youtube videos.
Other people are his fans and do follow his creative content, though. 
So, would you agree that it is in Flambass' best interest to keep himself, and by extension his fanbase, informed of game developments in a timely manner?  🙂 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 1:23 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Your heart is in the right place when you share stuff like this. 
And you (and Flambass) may have missed the earlier opportunities to test these ships. 
Which indicates that others may have missed the same opportunities, for various reasons.

He and his fan-base have opinions and preferences about WG/WOWs as a game and a gaming company. 
One would hope those opinions are formed from facts and 'hands-on' play experience, eh?  🙂 

Possibly he had other stuff on his figurative plate, and only now got around to exploring these CV's?  🙂 
Honestly, I don't know and don't really care.  I'm not a Flambass fan and don't follow his youtube videos.
So, would you agree that it is in Flambass' best interest to keep himself, and by extension his fanbase, informed of game developments in a timely manner?  🙂 

But I dont really see what issue you have with this? So you want anyone who does content or stream this game to waste their probably precious time, time they use to earn their salary, trying out different things WG cooked up that you're not even really sure will make it to live server anyways?! I think that would be a good way for him to suicide his career.

I think most players and streamers avoid PTS because obvious reasons, such as:

• Usually piss poor rewards
  • Dont even know if this will take effect on live
  • Even more bots to play with than in Randoms, because now everyone wants to try all the new dumb things and mechanics, so even worse gameplay.
  • WG doesn't care one bit about any feedback anyways, they will most likely refer to holy fantasy spreadsheets and release a new OP/Broken monstrosity. 

So he waited like most to try and figure out the new ships in their final state when the rest of us got the chance as well. I just wanted to promote someone who used a Support CV in the way they probably intendent on playing, when we all probably know most others will just try to use them for damage farming.

He later released a new Essex video where he mentioned he lost 10 games in a row trying to support the team, so maybe just play the selfish farm way with these as well. Still liked the initiative tho.

And I dont think anyone goes to Flambass channel to watch some bean counter that vacuums the WG sites for dev blogs or stats pages and being informed in that way, there is plenty of other channels that just read stats from dev blogs or ingame stats etc,

I think most go to Flambass because he was once considered (and probably still are) the best DD player in the game, and he also fairs pretty well in every other class as well (while hating on CVs and Subs). 

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

I think most go to Flambass because he was once considered (and probably still are) the best DD player in the game, and he also fairs pretty well in every other class as well (while hating on CVs and Subs). 

Flambass has several accounts but he is a 65% player in everything but carriers on his main account. In carriers he is only a 55% player. I don't think that he plays subs much. I really need to start playing them myself as it's a whole new area of the game that I've not ventured much into as of yet other than a couple of forays into Coop where I just mainly goofed around looking at things underwater.

I increased my win rate in the Des Moines by 5% just by watching Flambass and copying what he did. I'm only a 50% player in it and still tend to get sunk a lot but it's better than the 45% winrate I used to have in it. One of the things that Flambass does that makes him good in cruisers is that he knows the maps well and has memorized the best places to hide so that he can shoot at the enemy without being hit too much by returning fire.

shot-24-02-21-07-01-12-0629.jpg

I've started playing my Yorktown some and, taking a hint from some other Yorktown players, have been smoking myself up in order to get closer to the battle. I've tried to help my team with smoke but, just like when I smoke them with my Gearing, they generally just ignore my trying to help and proceed to do their own thing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Flambass has several accounts but he is a 65% player in everything but carriers on his main account. In carriers he is only a 55% player. I don't think that he plays subs much. I really need to start playing them myself as it's a whole new area of the game that I've not ventured much into as of yet other than a couple of forays into Coop where I just mainly goofed around looking at things underwater.

I increased my win rate in the Des Moines by 5% just by watching Flambass and copying what he did. I'm only a 50% player in it and still tend to get sunk a lot but it's better than the 45% winrate I used to have in it. One of the things that Flambass does that makes him good in cruisers is that he knows the maps well and has memorized the best places to hide so that he can shoot at the enemy without being hit too much by returning fire.

shot-24-02-21-07-01-12-0629.jpg

I've started playing my Yorktown some and, taking a hint from some other Yorktown players, have been smoking myself up in order to get closer to the battle. I've tried to help my team with smoke but, just like when I smoke them with my Gearing, they generally just ignore my trying to help and proceed to do their own thing.

I learned most of my skills looking at videos from Flambass and Flamu (especially their old Replay analysis series). 

When I started to play CVs I just searched for the ship on YT and watched a whole lot of vides where there was great success. Looked at how they positioned, what squads thay started with, which targets they went for etc etc.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 1:23 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Flambass is long past that, he moved from being pure WoWs to being part-time WoWs ... so no, he would not be interested in PTS (and I think he never was).

As for the rest of us, the problem is, WG does not stop the grind to allow for testing and the test modes when introduced have basically no mission attached. So you either grind the usual treadmill of rewards or you test ... most people pick the former ...

Yesterday I almost died from SHOCK!! 

I was approaching a CAP and suddenly out of nowhere a wall of smoke went over me and into the Cap.

I thought another DD had followed me.

It was CV smoke drop.

His smoke plus mine, when it ran out,  helped me get that cap AND kill the sub that was trying to take it and sneak up to shotgun me.

Has only happened once.

Much like how rare it is for me to be on the team with the good sub player that helps spot and cap and doesn't hide behind me all game or just roams to the J line looking for the CV..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

Yesterday I almost died from SHOCK!! 

I was approaching a CAP and suddenly out of nowhere a wall of smoke went over me and into the Cap.

I thought another DD had followed me.

It was CV smoke drop.

His smoke plus mine, when it ran out,  helped me get that cap AND kill the sub that was trying to take it and sneak up to shotgun me.

Has only happened once.

Much like how rare it is for me to be on the team with the good sub player that helps spot and cap and doesn't hide behind me all game or just roams to the J line looking for the CV..

That plus having the good sub would be my MM RNG for six months. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pugilistic said:

That plus having the good sub would be my MM RNG for six months. 

amen-anchorman.gif.1335d801de2ec174515903899424bb15.gif

• Haha 2

On 2/17/2024 at 8:53 AM, hipcanuck said:

Fighter kills give credits and XP.

Spotting damage give XP.

The lack of XP and rewards for RTS air support load out CVs (those with mostly fighter squads) was complained about and fixed YEARS ago.

14 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

But I dont really see what issue you have with this?

My thinking is that the video is stale information upon arrival.
The only new thing is that it is Flambass doing the video about stuff that's been around for a long time already.

If no one else is bothered by the stale nature of the information, then it's just a "me" thing, eh?  🙂 

• Confused 1

I'm getting the distinct impression that these 'support' CVs & their gimmicks could be described as WG (WoWS) Management 'bending, folding, stapling & mutilating' things.

The WW2 slang terms , SNAFU & FUBAR come to mind. 

On 2/21/2024 at 4:08 PM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Fighter kills give credits and XP.

Spotting damage give XP.

The lack of XP and rewards for RTS air support load out CVs (those with mostly fighter squads) was complained about and fixed YEARS ago.

I said "SOON" spotting wont give XP, since they are testing the removal of CV spotting.

As for XP for plane kills, I was under the impression that was removed during the rework when RTS went out the window.

55 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

I said "SOON" spotting wont give XP, since they are testing the removal of CV spotting.

As for XP for plane kills, I was under the impression that was removed during the rework when RTS went out the window.

They added xP for plane damage back in at some point post rework. Fighters give plane damage.

WG will never remove aerial spotting from CVs. That's part of the core gameplay for DDs...their weakness.

7 hours ago, hipcanuck said:

Since the rework there have been several times the devs have announced plans to fundamentally change aerial spotting mechanics, and each time they were shut down in closed testing. You shouldn’t put stock in any announced changes to take effect until they actually make it to the PTS/live servers.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:33 PM, Col_NASTY said:

Or how rare or non-existent it is for aCV player to drop protective fighters over a cap when you as a DD is trying to flip it, even tho you begged him in chat for 2 min. Instead, the red CV comes and resets you 6-8 times until you limp out and forget about trying to help the team win.

On 2/22/2024 at 3:12 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

My thinking is that the video is stale information upon arrival.
The only new thing is that it is Flambass doing the video about stuff that's been around for a long time already.

If no one else is bothered by the stale nature of the information, then it's just a "me" thing, eh?  🙂 

I just dont understand what is "stale information" regarding a new released video where a skilled player is playing a very recent released T10 CV with a totally new type of gameplay options? In my mind that is pretty interesting and fresh information, but thats just me.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Or how rare or non-existent it is for aCV player to drop protective fighters over a cap when you as a DD is trying to flip it, even tho you begged him in chat for 2 min. Instead, the red CV comes and resets you 6-8 times until you limp out and forget about trying to help the team win.

I just dont understand what is "stale information" regarding a new released video where a skilled player is playing a very recent released T10 CV with a totally new type of gameplay options? In my mind that is pretty interesting and fresh information, but thats just me.

Unless that CV is fighter specialized, his 'protective' fighters are only going to give your position away.

The enemy CV can still boost through and hit you...and if he predropped, the plane losses will be minimal.

It's not good play for the CV captain to do as you ask.

11 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Unless that CV is fighter specialized, his 'protective' fighters are only going to give your position away.

The enemy CV can still boost through and hit you...and if he predropped, the plane losses will be minimal.

It's not good play for the CV captain to do as you ask.

We DDs will take any help we can get and fighters of ANY kind will help.

Also his fighters giving away our position ? 

The Cap turning pretty much makes our position known anyway so there's that.

• Like 1