It's a Start,,, I guess.

Col_NASTY

After dying over and over in a DD to a mass of torps as big as my bote launched point blank yesterday as I tried to drop charges on a sub that was working on his KRAKEN,  this was sort of nice to see this morning.

Dynamic torpedoes:

Now, all submarine torpedoes will deal reduced damage within the first few kilometers travelled. For the first 2.9km, they will only deal 10% damage, while from 2.9km to 3km, their damage will scale up to 100% linearly, avoiding scenarios where a single meter difference could result in drastically different damage. Due to the minimal damage at point blank ranges, arming distance for alternative submarine torpedoes will be reduced (approximately 400m, similar to homing torpedoes). This change will make close range "shotgun" attacks harder to execute while rewarding ships with Depth Charges in close combat engagements against submarines.

This was followed by a much longer list of sub BUFFS so we will see.😏

Still the porpoise style spotting has got to go.

Being able to spot and disappear to safety in 2 seconds is so wrong.

DISCLAIMER...  I don't play subs except for missions or NB so I know they can do it because I can too.

• Like 1

I heard about the dynamic torpedoes but I thought they weren't actually doing that linear damage yet? [Unless you just saw this; this morning.] Besides, I've been avoiding modes with subs anyways as I had some reasons to do ranked and brawls. So I wouldn't have noticed on my own.

I primarily DD and have been caught real close to subs before trying to DC them and their torps were off cool-down.

The damage scales from 10% to 100% in 100 meters per those statements. That is special. 

Edited by DoW_

The Dynamic Torpedoes were announced but not implemented yet.  They are part of a series of buffs and major nerfs that are an attempt to adjust Subs and quell some of the bad feelings of some players towards them.  One of the major nerfs that was applied last patch that was unannounced was the change to Submarine Hydrophone from a 30-second detection consumable to one that goes on cooldown as soon as it is activated, giving the Sub only a single flash cube type of image of what it can detect.  The promised terrain mapping that was supposed to accompany this change was also not implemented.

Combined with the inclusion of Submarine Surveillance consumable on around twenty Cruisers in the game and the changes to ASW capabilities to many other ships, playing Subs is going to be much harder than before, and will likely drive many Sub players to remain a distance from the front lines rather than be scouts and first skirmishers.

39 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

The Dynamic Torpedoes were announced but not implemented yet. 

Yes, this is what I thought and it is confirmed by my PTS update download. They will be on PTS this time around.

The RU server is testing a 4km arming distance on sub torpedoes, that seems much more straightforward. 

47 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

Combined with the inclusion of Submarine Surveillance consumable on around twenty Cruisers

Are there really 20 CA with sub surveillance I thought they added only 3? So 20 cruisers out of almost 200 CA in the game only counting tier 5 and up is that bad for sub players. They also got a buff 20% maneuverability and 10% dive plane to help with the few ships that got an ASW range increase. Doesn't seem that bad to me but I don't play them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pugilistic said:

The RU server is testing a 4km arming distance on sub torpedoes, that seems much more straightforward. 

yeah, that is the simple and effective solution ... now imagine how many bugs will WG introduce to torpedoes with that new feature 🙂

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

yeah, that is the simple and effective solution ... now imagine how many bugs will WG introduce to torpedoes with that new feature 🙂

Its WG In a nutshell, and it normally follow below schedule.

• WG invent something new and send to the test server.
  • Theplayers says it wont work, and highlight all the issues.
  • WG says naah nothing wrong and introduce it to the game.
  • The players complain and says the game is close to brooken, WG ignores it completely for a long time.
  • Players comes with simple solutions that are easy understand.
  • WG suddenly finds out its brooken, In shear panic they make s… up to fix the problem they ignored before.
  • WG`s fixes makes everything worse, the solution is heavely bugged and Can exploited
  •  The players tells WG they made an even bigger issues, and that they told them so.
  • WG ignores them.

the above In my opinion outlines both CV rework and Subs, and a lot of other issues In this game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

After dying over and over in a DD to a mass of torps as big as my bote launched point blank yesterday as I tried to drop charges on a sub that was working on his KRAKEN,  this was sort of nice to see this morning.

Dynamic torpedoes:

Now, all submarine torpedoes will deal reduced damage within the first few kilometers travelled. For the first 2.9km, they will only deal 10% damage, while from 2.9km to 3km, their damage will scale up to 100% linearly, avoiding scenarios where a single meter difference could result in drastically different damage. Due to the minimal damage at point blank ranges, arming distance for alternative submarine torpedoes will be reduced (approximately 400m, similar to homing torpedoes). This change will make close range "shotgun" attacks harder to execute while rewarding ships with Depth Charges in close combat engagements against submarines.

This was followed by a much longer list of sub BUFFS so we will see.😏

Still the porpoise style spotting has got to go.

Being able to spot and disappear to safety in 2 seconds is so wrong.

DISCLAIMER...  I don't play subs except for missions or NB so I know they can do it because I can too.

I was wondering about this. So alternative torps like the nukes on Gato will still do 100% of its damage from 3 km range and up then? So its mostly "in youre face" (1.5-3 km) shotgunning they prevent by nerfing the damage? 

IM really interested in seeing how the new ping markers that will tell the direction that the sub is heading, will look like, and how much impact it will get nor when they also buffed the maneuverability of the subs.

16 hours ago, clammboy said:

Are there really 20 CA with sub surveillance I thought they added only 3? So 20 cruisers out of almost 200 CA in the game only counting tier 5 and up is that bad for sub players. They also got a buff 20% maneuverability and 10% dive plane to help with the few ships that got an ASW range increase. Doesn't seem that bad to me but I don't play them.

Actually, there are more than 20, since every cruiser in four tech lines from Tier 5 and up have been given the Sub Surv consumable, one which is superior to that given to Subs in several ways.  Added to the ability to also mount Hydro -and- most having air strike depth charges....yeah, it's bad for Sub players.  Also, I did not see anything about a 10% dive plane buff, only a 20% turn rate buff (which isn't much when you look at the numbers).  The ASW standardization, loss of Sub Hydrophone active time, and the pending Dynamic Torpedoes....yeah, it's bad.   We will see how things play out, and what other changes WG is going to stealth in.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DoW_ said:

The damage scales from 10% to 100% in 100 meters per those statements. That is special. 

You need to be some sort of special to come up with that plan.